Old 03-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #31

Towing shocker slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So, you are saying you speed because it's safer????? I travel at 65 and don't stay beside semis. You seem to be trying to state that driving the speed limit is only accomplished if you get right beside a semi and stay there???? And I don't think anyone here is talking about getting up to 70 for 30 seconds to get around a semi. They are talking about the people that have the cruise set on 70+ mph cruising on down the road. And there are a LOT of them.

Totally misrepresenting what I said but that's ok. Opinions are why we're here. For the record I think most recreational RV towing drivers are courteous and stay in right lane.
The commercial RV delivery people will give us bad names since they tend to act like lots of semi drivers.

When not towing I drive faster, not to get there earlier, just cause I am comfortable at that speed. Just saying remember you are sharing the road and being courteous also includes letting others around you. A little step on the pedal to get out of the passing lane won't hurt you.

When towing, I pull over on two lane roads to let faster drivers around me too.

mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Sue & I both drive, we switch after 2 hours. Puss, my Wildcat is under weight according to Reese. We drive maximum 65 MPH & so far have not blown a tire in 10 years. I did have an in-toe on 1 trip which caused me to replace all my tires. That is another story. IMO the biggest cause for blow outs are, over loaded RV's, speed, tire pressure, & lack of visual inspection of tires at each gas stop.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Totally misrepresenting what I said but that's ok. Opinions are why we're here. For the record I think most recreational RV towing drivers are courteous and stay in right lane.
The commercial RV delivery people will give us bad names since they tend to act like lots of semi drivers.

When not towing I drive faster, not to get there earlier, just cause I am comfortable at that speed. Just saying remember you are sharing the road and being courteous also includes letting others around you. A little step on the pedal to get out of the passing lane won't hurt you.

When towing, I pull over on two lane roads to let faster drivers around me too.
I'm not misrepresenting what you said. Maybe what you typed isn't what you meant, though? You clearly said "those that speed" then went on to say "I do so cause that's the speed I feel comfortable with." When I was 18 and thought I was invincible I was "comfortable" cruising at 90+ many times. Just because I'm "comfortable" doesn't mean I'm not being foolish. If you are simply trying to say that you think it's better to accelerate a little and get around someone as opposed to hanging beside a truck (for example) for the sake of not exceeding 65mph, then I agree. As for the 2 lane roads, I tend not to pull over to let others around. I am assuming you mean on the shoulder. Lot's of debris over there- potentially things that could stick in a tire. Also tends to be lots of rocks that can be kicked up damaging paint and windshields of those behind and in the opposite lane. But I know lot's of people that use the shoulder for that purpose, I just choose not to.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #34

I have had several blowouts on the China tires. I switched to the G-614s and have not had any problems. Call it insurance if you like. I travel more stress free not having to worry whether or not I am going to have tire issues and tear up the side of my RV. The G-614 are rated for 75 MPH though I travel around 63 mph. The G-614s are G load rated and can carry 3750 lbs per tire at 110 psi. That is 15000 lbs not counting the weight on the hitch. My RV has a GVWR of 14000 lbs. Assuming a 20%-25% hitch weight you could tow a 19000-20000 lb RV with these tires before you reached their load carrying capacity. Axle ratings and the payload capacity of the truck are another issue.
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
In the south, "you've got another thing coming" isn't necessarily a phrase being directed at anyone in particular. Just a way of saying "I'm not going to do it." So, I didn't mean you specifically.
got it...
I bet the main reason we out here in the wild west have problems with tires is the nice heat we have here....also plays havoc on batteries
Old 03-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #36

I agree with a lot of you fellow members; my comfort speed towing is 60mph, weather, traffic or passing permitting. Just makes for a much more mellow and enjoyable trip. Happy RVing all of you!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #37

Too fast or just Faulty?

Don't have enough mileage on by tires to make a valid comment on quality, but did hear a story some years back concerning multi axle trailers on slate roads and it may relate to some of the issues. The report was that the first tire has a tendency to lift the rocks or other sharp objects up so the second tire gets sliced. Might be nice to know if this has any validity. Those who have had mult blowouts were they on the front or back axle?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #38

X2 Blackhat6mike I too have had 5 years of 7000 miles per year with no problems and just under 1000 miles with the " NEW " Akuret tire and two blew within one day of poor tread adhesion. Never over 60 mph, inflation always 80psi and weighed underweight twice in the 7 years that we have been full timers with no additions to the load factors
Old 03-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #39
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

According to Goodyear, you can increase the maximum MPH by 10 if you decrease the maximum wheel load by 10%. Assuming your 'E' rated tires are max 65mph at 80psi with max load of 3,240#, you should be within rates for 75mph if no wheel max is greater than 2,916#. For a tandem axle 5er (4x2916) 11,664#. You could CAT scale the rig or even better, have Escapee's do an individual wheel weight to confirm your separate wheel loads. The other option to increase speed is to increase PSI by 10% as long as that 10% increase doesn't exceed the tire wall stamped maximum.

I tow with Maxxis E Rated tires. I inflate trailer tires to 80psi at cold before I hit the road. My loaded trailer weight at CAT is 9,880#.

I drive 75mph only on 4 lane interstates in light traffic in states or areas where the road is very, very smooth.

I drive 63mph to 67mph when any one of these come into play:
  1. Drizzle or rain
  2. Wind over 10-15mph
  3. Heavy traffic
  4. Crappy roads or excessive bridges
  5. Mountain steep inclines or declines or switchbacks
  6. Excessive heat makes my TPMS readings scare me cause they're over 100 degrees
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #40

I have never had a problem with my rv tires on my popup, HiLo, Forest River Wildcat 5er, Montana 5er and now I have a FR PrimeTime Crusader 5er. No problems ever but just changed out the TowMax tires(all 5) for the G16Unisteels. Tire dealer gave me $150 for the Towmax - said he could get them for $63 new. Now why would you put $63 tires on a $40k RV? Makes you wonder about the rest of the quality.
I always inflated all my RV tires to the max pressure and at times I did get up to 70. Wiser now and I do not have to run max pressure in the G16 UNIs.

Tags
towing