Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The "China Bombs" are good till they aren't. We had a total of 5 separate blowouts in two trips and never got above 63 mph or hit any potholes or curbs. TPMS checked constantly. All tires inflated to max pressure at the start of trip AND unit weighed on CAT scales showed unit was 1,800 lbs under max.
I changed to Maxxis tire from Thailand and haven't had a problem since.
If the China Bombs were "good tire", none of those blowouts would have happened, much less 5 blowouts.
X2 I believe those tires are 50/50 no quality. The price is low that's why all manufacturers use them. it's a shame we have no liability on the government what they can bring in and sell to companies. What happened to the good USA made tires????
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #42

Oh look Harriet it's awful kanawful.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #43

I prefer to have the max possible safety margin and for me, that is not using cheap tires. I always swap my STs to a commercial grade LT. I've never had another tire problem since. I do my due diligence with checking the pressures, before, during and after the trips, don't hit curbs, use the smoothest lanes, keep my axles lubed, and never travel over 72mph on the highway. I usually stay between 70-72 so I'm not a moving road block and can travel with the normal flow of traffic. 60-62 on a 70mph posted highway where people are traveling 78-85 can be a danger in itself as well.

I agree that there are idiots towing out there but the ST tires is just a lower quality tire and I don't want a $10 tire on my $50k+ unit. Ect. The exception to the rule is the Goodyear G614.

Just my .02
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
I have never had a problem with my rv tires on my popup, HiLo, Forest River Wildcat 5er, Montana 5er and now I have a FR PrimeTime Crusader 5er. No problems ever but just changed out the TowMax tires(all 5) for the G16Unisteels. Tire dealer gave me $150 for the Towmax - said he could get them for $63 new. Now why would you put $63 tires on a $40k RV? Makes you wonder about the rest of the quality.
I always inflated all my RV tires to the max pressure and at times I did get up to 70. Wiser now and I do not have to run max pressure in the G16 UNIs.

I'd bet the RV manufacturers get them significantly cheaper than that. My guess would be in the 40's per tire. And the answer to the question of why is because everyone else is. If you use the best tires that add $400 to the cost and heavier duty axles that add $200 and a quality tongue jack that's $200 more and..... You get the picture. Before long you have a unit that LOOKS exactly like the guys across the street but is $2k higher at the same profit margin. Unfortunately the vast majority of consumers are too ignorant to know the difference or simply don't care that the one is made with cheaper components.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
And it seems the bigger the "toys," the faster they go!

I guess if you've got it, flaunt it!
Young men with something to prove, or just men compensating for some other INADEQUACY?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #46

I dont go more than 100KM per hour (62mph) and get their in one piece (and only 10 minutes later). I was with a NY State Trooper on my way to Florida this year and he said that the biggest cause of RV accidents/rollovers on the NY Thruway was caused by excessive speed i.e. over 60 mph. I had a blow out and he said if i had excessive speed I would have had a high probability of being involved in a major incident. As it was I didnt even notice it at that speed and it was brought to my attention by a passing car. Blowouts are inevitable and its in your personal interst to able to mange the knock on effects and speed is definetly the killer as it is in any accident.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
The "China Bombs" are good till they aren't. We had a total of 5 separate blowouts in two trips and never got above 63 mph or hit any potholes or curbs. TPMS checked constantly. All tires inflated to max pressure at the start of trip AND unit weighed on CAT scales showed unit was 1,800 lbs under max.
I changed to Maxxis tire from Thailand and haven't had a problem since.
If the China Bombs were "good tire", none of those blowouts would have happened, much less 5 blowouts.
Can you share which China Bomb Brand name was on those tires and which Trailer they came with or where you bought them?

Maybe if we get more specific when there are problems than just CHINA BOMBS, we would see a pattern. Are any of you guys checking the DOT line to see the date of manufacture of the tires when you have these problems? Since pretty much all ST tires seem to be from China, maybe we need to look more carefully at the culprits to see if we can narrow in or any particular problem tires. One of our local tire dealers told me of "recalling", replacing and sending a whole bunch of their OLD BRAND of China Bombs back, upon realizing that they had being sent tires that were already over four years old.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
So, you are saying you speed because it's safer????? I travel at 65 and don't stay beside semis. You seem to be trying to state that driving the speed limit is only accomplished if you get right beside a semi and stay there???? And I don't think anyone here is talking about getting up to 70 for 30 seconds to get around a semi. They are talking about the people that have the cruise set on 70+ mph cruising on down the road. And there are a LOT of them.
I agree and out here the ones I notice seem to often be Three Axle Toy Haulers swaying back and forth in a display of hazardous instability. I will take a side by side with a trucker any day over being near some of the idiots passing me on the way to Glamis down Highway 89, past the Salton Sea, at 75 or 80 miles per hour.

Tags
towing