Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

Toyhauler V/S enclosed trailer? What would you consider.

We are in the long term planning stages and at an impasse of sorts. ... Im sure theres more than a few on here that have already beat this to death.. We thank you for you input...

We love our current truck and hybrid camper, its perfect for us traveling, can boondock overnight with full access without opening anything, And fine for staying, Crawling over her in bed at night gets old at times...and the occasional bed shower from condensation ... ... Our ATV fits in back for those type trips, But sure missed having the Road King last summer up north. No way its fitting in the truck bed.. But the wife also got bit by the side by side bug thanks to her sister on that trip..That wont fit either... The trucks in great shape overall, But engines at 250K miles and seen better days. So New engine or New truck? And that's were the trouble begins....

Future plans include nearly full timing around the country, Wanting to try camp hosting .... So we want to bring some Toys and Tools...
We have looked at quite a few Toyhaulers, and nothing has really appealed to us yet... Granted there's some nice riggs out there, But HUGE, Or your tripping over stuff in your kitchen, smelling gas while trying to make a sandwich on the road, unload the bike to put the bed down... A 5th wheel will require a new larger truck period, I dont care if they call it a half ton towable...
So would a Motorhome and Enclosed trailer be a better option???? I do like the idea of a seperate garage for the camp hosting setup, But its seems like it could be a PITA for short stays with parking the trailer then set up the MH.
The enclosed trailer also gives us the option for shorter local trips and stay in it...
Either way TH/MH we want something that has access to everything with minimal setup on the road.... Our current 5ER, one slide has to go out to get to the fridge.... Seen some you cant even stop and use the bathroom without deploying 2 different slides...

Again folks... Thanks
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Canadian Member

Sounds like you’ve been doing a fair bit of looking around. I agree that a short toy hauler is less than desirable because you get very little living room and no separation from the toys and garage smell. I would prefer a MH and enclosed trailer but you’d have no smaller vehicle (car/SUV) to go anywhere, so a larger toyhauler with good space separation would probably be the way to go. Obviously a big dually is needed for that setup.

I subscribe to a YouTube channel called Changing Lanes which is a couple with an Indian motorcycle in a 40’+ toyhauler that they full time in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=naBT6x14J2c

Of course the ultimate would be having a semi-truck with a Smart Fortwo on the back (broadside) and a nice toyhauler.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #3

What ever works best for you is what I think........ but

The only problem I see is if towing an enclosed trailer behind a motor home will limit some campgrounds for site space. The trailer might had to be stored away from your site. I know some do it though.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #4

We have done both.

We first tried a motor home towing an enclosed trailer for the toys, my wife drove the explorer and followed me. It was a pain in the butt, yet it got the job done. We had the motorcycle and the Explorer to drive at our destination. Most all campgrounds have a storage lot for the trailer if needed.

Decided having the wife follow was too much of a pain in the butt so we went to a toy hauler 5th wheel with a 1 ton pickup. A lot better to drive to the destination, we had the motorcycle and the pickup to drive at our destination.

We wintered in TX one year and in AZ another and found we didn’t use the motorcycle much at all, and my Arthritis has gotten to where riding is more pain than it is worth to me so we are now back to a motor home and are pulling a flat trailer with the car and bicycles on it.

The 5th wheel toy hauler was the best solution for us when we were traveling with the motorcycle. It does mean having a 1 ton pickup as a daily driver for the months we were at our snowbird destination but it was very doable.

For a floor plan you might want to consider the Grand Design Momentum line, their 381M has a very usable floor plan with a rather large garage that would likely hold the SxS and the 2 wheeler. Just about any toy hauler that is going to have a separate garage is going to be big enough to require a 1 ton dally so plan accordingly.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #5

In the past year I think my wife and I considered every conceivable option/combination. My wife is retired and I'll retire this year. In 2018 we bought a new Yamaha touring bike (Star Venture) with hopes of long road trips whenever we weren't out in our Heartland Landmark 5th wheel, which we plan to do some long 3-6 week trips in.

However, last fall, on a long motorcycle trip, it became evident that my wife's back arthritis will not be up for long days in the saddle. Plus, we really did not enjoy sleeping in hotels for all of the obvious reasons any RVer would understand. So we began looking for ways to combine our 2 loves of riding and camping.

Here are the options we looked at:

1. Modifying our Landmark's frame so it could support a motorcycle lift that could support a 975 lb motorcycle. Ruled out because I didn't feel comfortable with the physics of that.

2. Keeping our LM but buying a nice truck camper and an enclosed 12' trailer to haul the bike. Found a very nice 3 slide Eagle Cap truck camper, but the big drawbacks were weight and cost. The TC would max out my dually with its 5300 lb dry weight + gear. It would also run us almost $70k for TC and enclosed trailer, which was way above our budget for a second camper.

3. Keep the LM (which we really love, is comfortable, in good shape,and paid for) and buy an enclosed trailer. I would tow the 5er and she would tow the trailer/bike. She vetoed that, as we will be taking lots of long trips and she does not like to tow. Plus the cost of gas for two vehicles.

4. Trade in our LM and come up with a LOT of more money for a motorhome with a lift on back. Ruled that out for $$ and the fact we wouldn't have a car or truck with us when we got to our destinations.

5. Finding a toyhauler that was well-appointed like the LM, didn't require giving up all of the room we have now (kitchen space for her and had to have a permanent dinette + sofa + recliners and a roomy king bed master BR). We'd trade in the LM for such a nice toyhauler. There are very few rigs that meet these specs. One we did like was one of the Cyclone models. It was nice, but we'd still be giving up some things. However, the kicker was that my wife (5'4") was unable to reach about half of the kitchen cabinets - even with a stool. We lthen looked at multiple other higher end TH in the $70-85K range and while many were nice, they did not fit our particular wants/needs.

6. Final option, which was what worked for us, but may not for many, was to find a lower priced travel trailer or 5th wheel toyhauler as a second camper (yes, we thought it sounded crazy too at first). Initially we wanted to stay close to 30' length and under $50k. The 30' length idea was tossed immediately, as there just aren't many TH in that range - we wanted a separate garage. We looked at dozens of TH floorpans of all makes and models in our price range and were about to give up when we stumbled upon the Wolfpacks. The 365Pack15 met almost all of our requirements as a rig we could spend 3-4 weeks at a time comfortably, met her kitchen requirements, my garage requirements, price range, and reasonable quality. The only downside was the length of 44 feet was 3' longer than my LM, but we decided it was what best fit our needs for comfort, storage, garage size, and price.

So all of that is a long-winded way to say - make a list of your "must-haves", "nice-to-haves", and "don't-really-need, but don't care if it's included". Consider Floorplan, Storage, Garage size/layout, Length/weight, Price, and amenities. All of this will help you narrow your choices. Spend many hours walking through rigs of all sizes, floorplans, makes, and models.

Good luck!

Butch and Sharon
Goldsboro, NC
2020 Wolfpack 365Pack16
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC in back
2020 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD DRW
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Haulin' Toys

I've done both, I started with an enclosed trailer, did that for several years. It worked great for me by myself. I slept in it, set up a camp shower to use with it, all that jazz. Didn't have an air conditioner, but careful deployment of tarps and shade devices made it bearable.

My son got a bit older, and got interested in camping. I bought a small popup, and come to find out both the wife and son enjoyed camping.

Fast forward to present day, I have a toyhauler now. Best of both worlds...I can still haul my RC airplanes to events, and the family can camp in comfort during family trips. My current toyhauler doesn't have any slides, and the one we are looking at purchasing this spring doesn't either. Both my current and next haulers met/meet our requirements at the time.

I will say that for us, the toyhauler has several advantages over just an enclosed trailer:

1. I can use it for my flying events, haul planes, and sleep in comfort.
2. The family and I can enjoy 'traditional' camping trips, with our own bathroom (saves middle of the night trips to the bathhouse)
3. Only one extra vehicle to find space to park at home.
4. Only one insurance policy, tags, etc to deal with.
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #7

Like others have said it is what works for you.
I bought a Dune Sport toy hauler for my daughter 20' it has a queen bed up front, 100 gallon fresh water and so on. They build to order. She doesn't have any toys but a couple crib beds in the back for her twins. If you haven't looked at those maybe worth a look. They use top quality materials.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:07 PM   #8

We had the same dilemma, we bought a 36’ DX3 with a 20’000 pound tow capacity, we plan on pulling a stacker trailer with a 2 door jeep, a small SxS and a small boat in the top of the stacker.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #9

Just want to toss my 2¢ in here.....We bought a used 2011 Forest River Hyperlite XLR 27hfs....Has a separate garage/bath with shower/one slideout for dining room/cooking area with front queen bed and a queen bed in the garage that raises to the ceiling, provides room for two Goldwings or one golf cart. With the slide in, I can walk thru the camper front to rear, slide not in the way at all. I can access the bathroom or the refrigerator easily. I pull it with a 2017 Ram 1500 short bed Quad Cab 5.7L 8spd. This set-up in perfect for my wife and I. I wouldn't want a larger camper with this combo, I'm probably right on the edge truck/trailer-wise. The floorplan is fine for us, and once set up at the campground we have either the bike or the truck to get around in. You might look for good used toyhaulers to get the most bang for your buck.....I'm retired, wife still cleans a few houses but is slowly weaning herself of them, and our income is not as good as we'd like, so we always do what we can to keep costs affordable, but still enjoy life camping with our friends....(They all have 5ers and M/Homes....) Good Luck!!
Willie Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #10

Toy Hauler vs enclosed trailer

Toy Hauler. I have a 2017 Forest River 29HFS Hyperlite. It is a bumper pull and pulls great. I weights under 8000 lbs. One slide. Very easy to setup. I did not buy the folding seats in the garage. I just got one electric bed. When up I can walk under it. With the bed down depending on the toy there is lots of room. The garage in 10'. Since I wanted certain options mine was totally built at the factory. I got the AC upgrade, winter package, a 4K Onan generator and the 3 position recliner with heat and massage. I bought my own TV and mount.

Another option is a Vengeance which has a bigger garage and 2 slides. It can hold a 5.5K generator.
Bgotro47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #11

Just get a 350DRW with 8’ bed (or an F450 pickup) and a bumper pull toyhauler. You can carry the ATV in the bed and the motorcycle in the toyhauler.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 PM   #12

I’m relatively certain that 2 Goldwings would both seriously overload the 27HFS and also unload the tongue. Someone with more time can run the numbers but I’ll be shocked to find this isn’t the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Wonka View Post
Just want to toss my 2¢ in here.....We bought a used 2011 Forest River Hyperlite XLR 27hfs....Has a separate garage/bath with shower/one slideout for dining room/cooking area with front queen bed and a queen bed in the garage that raises to the ceiling, provides room for two Goldwings or one golf cart. With the slide in, I can walk thru the camper front to rear, slide not in the way at all. I can access the bathroom or the refrigerator easily. I pull it with a 2017 Ram 1500 short bed Quad Cab 5.7L 8spd. This set-up in perfect for my wife and I. I wouldn't want a larger camper with this combo, I'm probably right on the edge truck/trailer-wise. The floorplan is fine for us, and set up at the campground we have either the bike or the truck to get around in. You might look for good used toyhaulers to get the most bang for your buck.....I'm retired, wife still cleans a few houses but is slowly weaning herself of them, and our income is not as good as we'd like, so we always do what we can to keep costs affordable, but still enjoy life camping with our friends....(They all have 5ers and M/Homes....) Good Luck!!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

I have done both a fifth wheel toyhauler and a motorhome with an enclosed trailer.

Currently we have the motorhome/trailer set up. I had the V-nose aluminum trailer made by NEO so the Harley fits up front with our Jeep behind it. This gives toys and tools protection and doubles as a nice area to work when set up at campground. Entire set up weighs less than 10k.

The jeep can (and has) moved the trailer if we are in a smaller campsite, otherwise we just leave everything connected.

Yes it is 65' rolling down the road, but a dually towing a 40' toy hauler isn't much shorter and I like the ride of the Freightliner air suspension better than that of one ton. Traveling in the motorhome is also easier on the wife and the dogs. Which means it's easier on me! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-13 Michigan Trailer Dealer, Grand Rapids Area Trailer Sales – Grandville Trai.png
Views:	2166
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	221768  
roadking1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #14

Toy Hauler, that way you have toys plus the tow vehicle. With standard enclosed trailer and MH you won't have another vehicle besides the bike. A Stacker behind a MH would be awesome but that's some BIG dough.

And the "smell" is BS, heard it again and again from those that don't have one. We had two and both did not have a separate garage. Yes, when the bikes were inside you could "smell" them, but not smell gas. If your bike is FI you'll not smell for sure and if a carb make sure you are not leaking and drain the carb before loading (although I never did). Once the toys are outside you won't smell a thing.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #15

Another 2cent input...[emoji39]

I have a 2015 29HFS and have hauled different types of bikes in the garage. Here are two pics, first on a trip to Sturgis with Indian Roadmaster & golf cart. Second, Indian Roadmaster and custom HD dresser. I tow with a 3500hd chevy (gasser). Used to two with a 2500hd chevy (gasser) as well.

I do move weight (i.e. cooler, cases of beer, etc...) as far forward as possible. Even bring a Honda 3000w genny on the front rack/tongue to help counter the garage weight. Never had an issue towing/sway (do use an anderson WD hitch..). Also, have been to the scales and I'm within my limits.

Just my example. Hope your searching goes well...[emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_090801.jpeg
Views:	3553
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	221783Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_103656.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	221784
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #16
REL

We went through the same exercise last year. Toy hauler or class C and use our 12' box trailer for the bikes and gear. We went toy hauler... Reason being the Class C would be another engine, transmission, braking system, tires etc that must be maintained. Its a whole additional vehicle to maintain. We are happy with our choice of a Vengeance 25v. It can haul 3 bikes and all my gear. Being a TT is leaves the truck bed available for additional gear or another dirt bike if necessary. We have overnighted several times while leaving the bikes in the hauler...No smell no issue..it is tight with the bikes in it but it's a small trailer and it's only overnight.

We traveled over 7000 miles to about 20 racing and riding events last season. This year will be closer to 10k.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #17

1st off Thanks to everyone for the info. Were even considering a van for the bike. Have 2 friends that haul bikes. K&T with a chevy van hauling a camper put a 4 wheeler, or bikes... But its 250 dual sport and 250 rebel... the other couple have the same dual sports in the back of a pickup... It works for them but say its a PITA at times.
We will keep looking around, review this great info and will let you know how it goes....
If we end up with a big diesel pusher with a stacker trailer.... you know someone who hit the lottery....
2011 HD Road King
Old 01-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #18

We have a bumper pull toyhauler, 30WRS Work & Play. And part of the items you listed are why I look for 3 yrs before found it & what I wanted ... hauls bikes & 4wheeler, separate garage area, & can park & sleep without crawling over anything or unloading, but not too big ... loved it! Our son is older now & doesn't like camping anymore & we have other hobbies that need funding. So selling ours if you decide to go for something like that. (It is listed in classifieds, but they won't let me add phone# in ad, so PM if interested.) I didn't comment to play salesman to you, but just saying style that worked for us.

2001 Suburban 2500 6.0 (former tow rig, now just party wagon)
MSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #19

Spent a few hours looking at TH on our way back from FL...
Nothing really jumped out at us.
2011 HD Road King

Tags
toyhauler, trailer