Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #41

Quote:
I asked this question in a previous post about stem flex and received no answer there so I'll ask you... Flow through or cap sensors
I have the flo-thru sensors... I upgraded to Endurance tires this MAy and metal stems. Prior to that I ran about 18 months and 8-9,000 miles with rubber stems. I purchased sticky rubber foam tape in 1/2 inch thickness and taped this foam to the rim behind the rubber stem hoping for a little support. I hoped that a little backing would keep the stem from flexing a lot and it seemed to have worked for me. I only have 14" wheels... larger wheels would give more centrifugal force on the stems and maybe kick in more flex.

I had an old utility trailer that sat a lot and I lost a tire due to rubber stem failure ( no TPMS sensor). I attributed that to deterioration of the valve stem, thru age.

hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have the flo-thru sensors... I upgraded to Endurance tires this MAy and metal stems. Prior to that I ran about 18 months and 8-9,000 miles with rubber stems. I purchased sticky rubber foam tape in 1/2 inch thickness and taped this foam to the rim behind the rubber stem hoping for a little support. I hoped that a little backing would keep the stem from flexing a lot and it seemed to have worked for me. I only have 14" wheels... larger wheels would give more centrifugal force on the stems and maybe kick in more flex.

I had an old utility trailer that sat a lot and I lost a tire due to rubber stem failure ( no TPMS sensor). I attributed that to deterioration of the valve stem, thru age.

hope this helps
You say you have foo-thru sensors I believe they are inside the rim. Don't they come with their own valve stems?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #43

Quote:
You say you have foo-thru sensors I believe they are inside the rim. Don't they come with their own valve stems?
NO

they are nothing like late model car TPMS systems... they screw on the neck of the stem... and lock on with a set screw... would be awfully hard to replace the batteries yearly if they were in the rim
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #44

The flow through sensors are longer and better for Class A or C, but fifth wheels and trailers are better off with the shorter cap type. Flow through may get damaged or knocked off by coming too close to a curb.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #45

Quote:
NO

they are nothing like late model car TPMS systems... they screw on the neck of the stem... and lock on with a set screw... would be awfully hard to replace the batteries yearly if they were in the rim
OK never heard of those before. I will have to check on that. I have the screw on cap type.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #46

I've been looking for replacement metal valve stems to work with my 14" alloy wheels, but not much luck. Will the tire shop have what I need or should I continue my research?
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #47
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

hope this helps
Thanks,
I've been watching the stem flex/failure posts for several years and the only reports of problems have been with flow-thru sensors coupled to rubber stems. I've not read one report of problems when using cap style sensors.

The flow-thru are longer and heavier and obviously TST realizes the potential for problems as they advise using metal stems on anything other than the cap sensors.

I ran my cap sensors (without the anti-theft rings) on H/D rubber stems for a year and a half with no problems whatsoever. I did change to metal stems when upgrading to the Endurance tires simply for added peace of mind.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #48

TST New Color Monitor

TechnoRV has the TST color monitor on their website. As far as I can tell there are no other websites that have them listed, not even TST. I posted a thread earlier on this. Here is the direct link:

TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Cap Sensors

L11
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #49

Call Chip at greatrvproducts dot com

they have the color monitors

[
Quote:
I've been looking for replacement metal valve stems to work with my 14" alloy wheels, but not much luck. Will the tire shop have what I need or should I continue my research?
I used these on my 14" FR alloy rims... I think you can also find them in 1 inch lengths
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stem.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	155007  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Thanks,
I've been watching the stem flex/failure posts for several years and the only reports of problems have been with flow-thru sensors coupled to rubber stems. I've not read one report of problems when using cap style sensors.
See post #29. That was cap sensors with anti theft cap still on (which I have since removed).
Fortunately I caught the problem before it turned into a much larger one!
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
The tire shop that I went to could not put metal stems on because of the rim. I have the high pressure valve stems on my rims. Almost all tire shops will have the high pressure stems.

https://www.amazon.com/TR-600HP-High...re+valve+stems

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #52

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I asked this question in a previous post about stem flex and received no answer there so I'll ask you... Flow through or cap sensors?

Like T11ravis, my failure was with the standard sensors with anti-theft outer shells installed (which I also have since stopped using). The tires/stems on that trailer were about 12 years old so age likely was a factor.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #53

Color Monitor at TechnoRV

Here is a press release from TechnoRV that was posted on RV Daily Report on the new TST color monitor.I have not ben able to find it anywhere online accept for TechnoRV. Im sure many sites will start to carry them, but for now, TechnoRV seems to be the only one to have them online.

New color monitor for TST tire pressure monitoring systems | RV Daily Report

L11
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #54

Just ordered mine from Chip at Great RV Products for $219, plus $89 for the Color Monitor. It is now on his web page.

JaC

2018 325Pack13
Sailuns637T, TST TPMS, JT's Strong Arm,
Dometic 320 Toilet, MORryde Pin Box,
Progressive Industries HW50C

2017 F-250 Platinum Anderson UAL hitch
captjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #55

I have the Tireminder Smart TPMS. So far so good. I chose this over the TST because there is no display to clutter the dash. Already have rear trailer camera, cell phone and Garmin up there. Tire pressure and temperature are monitored by an alarm which interfaces with the phone using bluetooth. Cell phone shows pressure and temp. $336 with 4 transmitters. https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Tr...art+tpms&psc=1
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #56
Truck System Technologies Rep

Thanks

Thank you CapnJack for choosing TST

Thank you,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #57
Chief tinkerer

The TST 507 with internal band mounted sensors were purchased through TST last year and went on all 6 truck wheels and the tow dolly before we made our first trip. These mount on a metal band that the tire store installs for $15 each, including balancing. We added 2 cap sensors for the toad so all wheels are monitored by the TST system. Last fall the warning went off and we were able to get to the shoulder on 285 in Atlanta and were slowing to a stop as the driver side dolly tire went completely flat from something that made a 1/4” cut in the tire. No drama. The system worked great.

I recently purchased the color monitor from Chip at GreatRV products and manually entered the sensors today. Used the tire rotation feature to swap position on two that I had in the wrong position. When I unscrewed the cap sensors from my car while preparing to leave the rig at the storage lot, they dropped off of the monitor since they were no longer transmitting. This is an improvement over the original b/w monitor. First trip with the new monitor is next weekend.
We have almost 15k miles on this system and couldn’t be happier.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #58

I will be getting the color monitor for my tst507.

It will keep the DW more entertained than the B/W monitor...

Don't leave home without a tire monitoring system of your choice.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #59

Having read (repeatedly) here about the importance of maintaining awareness of tire pressure (and temperature), and following some discussions with Mike Benson, I received my TST 507 color system yesterday. They took very good care of me - I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone needing a system (and who doesn't?).

I did order four additional cap sensors for my TV, even though it has factory TPMS installed. I figured having the temperature also was a good investment. On the drive in to work today, the TST display was one psi or less different from the internal sensors for each tire. Damn good in my opinion.

The only thing that I would like to see, and I'm sure they're working on it, is a manual for the color monitor. While it's similar to the monochrome display, there are differences. I was able to figure out a couple of things by taking similar actions, but this new monitor is more feature packed, and as a gadget freak (like that's a surprise), I want to know EVERYTHING this can do, and how to do it.

Mike - thanks for everything y'all do at TST, and look forward to slaying some rockfish when you get a chance to come up this way.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #60
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Thank you Mariner Joe!! I have attached the manual as requested. If you have any questions feel free to contact me anytime at 210-420-0132

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TST507-WideScreen Instructional Manual-Final.pdf (5.27 MB, 40 views)
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms