Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Trade in Protocol

Bringing in 2008 Jayco Class C for 2020 Wildwood 27RE Tuesday.

When swapping out old for new, is it proper etiquette that you make a list of minor deficiencies that you have on your trade in?
Also do you keep all your sewer connections with you for use on the new unit?
bvanoen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

If you give them too much info on "minor deficiencies", I'd be afraid they would want to lower what is already likely a low ball offer on trade in value. They have an inspection system for trade in's. I say let them figure it out on their own.

I've taken everything that I put in that was usable on my new camper or could be sold but left minor improvements.

DID NOT REMOVE
Toilet paper, paper towel, hand towel holders I bought and installed.
New Curtains
Upgraded shower head
Upgraded Sink faucet
Mattress topper I cut down to fit RV short Queen
Clothes hooks screwed to walls that would have left holes if removed
Mounted surge protector under the cabinet
Shoe holder I mounted in the bathroom to hold misc items.
Full length mirror I mounted on Bathroom door
Power jack I installed
Very Nice Torqlift Battery Box I installed on tongue

DID REMOVE
Sewer Hoses
30 AMP Extension Cord I bought
Everything else that would work with new camper or was valuable enough to be worth the trouble to sell or give to someone else I knew that had a camper and could use it.

I also left a very nice binder I put together with all the manuals and paperwork for the appliances and any add on's in sleeve protectors so the new owner would have them.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Last trade, I had them put my upgraded mattress on the new camper. Told them they could keep the new mattress for the trade-in. It was a thin POS.

Kept other upgraded stuff like Oxygenics shower head, which I replaced with original.

So trade-in had pretty much the same crappy stuff it had when they sold it to me, with a few hard-to-remove exceptions.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanoen1 View Post
Bringing in 2008 Jayco Class C for 2020 Wildwood 27RE Tuesday.

When swapping out old for new, is it proper etiquette that you make a list of minor deficiencies that you have on your trade in?
Also do you keep all your sewer connections with you for use on the new unit?
I have always gone with the idea of it is attached to something when I pull in, it goes with the trailer.
Everything else is mine.
cords, hoses etc....
I also think it is only fair to tell them about any major defect in the unit, leaking from, or leaking too. Just IMHO it is fraud otherwise.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Always Learning

When I was negotiating via email before going to the dealers, I included my “s##t list” of issues that the camper had. I left off some minor stuff but did disclose the major stuff.

I took anything that I’d need on the next rig including working into the deal that they swap the steps, swap the keyless door locks, and transfer the EMS. I had swap the converter since I upgraded to lithium batteries but it turned out the new one couldn’t be easily changed; they had already pulled the old one and left it inside for me. They also swapped the beds for us.

Showerheads, I swapped.

I took down a few things and left holes in the walls and left a few things I didn’t know where I would put (like a coat rack in the bedroom).
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Camper

On my 2 previous trades I discussed the deal and got a price before even going to the lot. On my old motorhome the only major issue was the genny did not run. I informed them of that as I had the deal done and did not want to drive a few hundred miles for the deal to go south. They took 250 off the trade in price. On the trailer I traded there were no issues to discuss. They did ask numerous questions about the used units though. Things like water leaks and age of tires.

On both trades the dealer did not even inspect anything before signing the papers. I drove up, they glanced at it from a distance and we went to seal the deal. I did an inspection on the new units though.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

Only trade in your RV if you do not want to go through the slight trouble of selling it yourself. You will almost always come out ahead doing it yourself.

Keep everything you want out/off of the old one. You will know if you went to far when you can't sell/trade it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote