Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #31

Just tell me how much "Out/The/Door"......I really don't care how you get there!.....

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #32
Site Team

OK, I need to confess I not sure about NADA trade-in values because it doesn't list "trade in value" in anyway. I might had got caught up on the list price.

I have a 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL (California series) with mods (from dealer) that might increase the value about $500 or not. I brought an entry level unit on the low end of the price scale so I know we aren't talking big bucks here.

The suggested list price is listed as $16,191. Since this number is in the same range as when it was brand new I'm thinking this is not the trade-in value. NADA low retail price is $5,800 and average is $7,000. I'm confused because the second dealer offered $6,000, maybe $7,000. The first dealer offered $3,000 and came up to $3,500.

I have no idea what's the value of my trade-in would be other than what someone is willing to pay. I just wish I had some general ball park price range to ponder. Did I really lose $10K on a $15k unit in 5 years? Even with it being in excellent condition and problem free?

I know that this is small potatoes to some but this is my dinner.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #33
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
What we must all remember before getting angry is that these things are not investments but rather rapidly depreciating assets. My take is that a 5 year amortization is probably the best way to think of it. After 5 years whatever you get for it is a plus.
Rapidly depreciating liabilities usually, not assets.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
OK, I need to confess I not sure about NADA trade-in values because it doesn't list "trade in value" in anyway. I might had got caught up on the list price.

I have a 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL (California series) with mods (from dealer) that might increase the value about $500 or not. I brought an entry level unit on the low end of the price scale so I know we aren't talking big bucks here.

The suggested list price is listed as $16,191. Since this number is in the same range as when it was brand new I'm thinking this is not the trade-in value. NADA low retail price is $5,800 and average is $7,000. I'm confused because the second dealer offered $6,000, maybe $7,000. The first dealer offered $3,000 and came up to $3,500.

I have no idea what's the value of my trade-in would be other than what someone is willing to pay. I just wish I had some general ball park price range to ponder. Did I really lose $10K on a $15k unit in 5 years? Even with it being in excellent condition and problem free?

I know that this is small potatoes to some but this is my dinner.
I can not even find a 20RBXL on NADA, they list a 22RBXL?
If you buy a subscription to NADA you'll get trade in values. However there are other guides such as price digests blue book that dealers also sometimes use.

If you want to get a ballpark for a trade in value from the online version of NADA do this.

I looked up a 2011 Salem by Forest River Cruise Lite M-22RBXL.
Do not choose any options, they do not count.
It will tell you average Retail of $7650 and low retail of $6350.
Take the low number and subtract 30% = $4445. That's the ballpark trade in value. If you are in an area with winter and your trading in late fall / early winter, take another 10% off that number. $4000.

Those numbers are close. Those are also based on your not taking a soaking on the new trailer but getting a real price. By that I mean in the neighborhood of 30% off MSRP using real MSRP if you can find it, and not some dealer generated MSRP BS.These numbers also take into account you worked out the price on the new unit prior to even mentioning the trade in. The dealers / salesmans mission in life is to find out if and what you want to trade and how much you owe on it before he does anything else.

Mods? Forget about them. They are worth nothing on trade to a dealer. They may be worth a little if selling privately. They are only worth anything when he is selling them to you over his parts counter at double what they cost at Amazon.

You lost every bit of 10K in 5 years. You lost about half of that the day you hooked it up the first time.

The dealer will expect to get somewhere in the middle of the range between high and low values selling retail. If he gave you $4445 for your trade he may be able to get $7000, most likely less. Say $6500. Hi goal is to get your trade in off his lot as fast as possible.

That means the potential profit is in the neighborhood of $2055. Out of that has to come all overhead. Insurance, utilities, sales commissions, all kinds of stuff. He may even have to offer some type of warranty to get it sold even if its only 30 days. The longer it sits on the lot the less potential profit. The trade number is low to you, not so much to a dealer.

Where it really gets interesting is if your trading a unit on which you still owe money. That throws the entire game out of whack. Most people that do that are upside down where the trade value is less than what is owed. If they were suckered into one of the 120 or 144 month loans it really gets ugly. Financing 20K to 30K RV's, even 50K, for 10 or 12 years is total insanity.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #35
Site Team

Mr. Havercamp-

I'm in Southern California so winter is not an issue.

The 22RBXL is the next size up trailer. I finally found the information on the 20RBXL 2011 Forest River-California Salem Cruise Lite Series M-20RBXL Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

My trailer is the twin to the Wildwood line. 2011 Forest River-California Wildwood Cruise Lite Series M-20RBXL Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

I paid $14,900 out the door and this included the brake controller, electric tongue jack, EQ hitch equipment & $1,695 PDI (Yeah, I know the PDI now but it won't happen next time).

When asking about the trade in offer the sales person said that only up to 80% of an used RV can be financed so they (dealership) offer less than that. I threw in some requests for the new TT that probably played a role in the trade in amount since the expense has to be absorbed somewhere and they elected not on their end.

I'm suppose to get the breakdown of the numbers on my next visit as the figures didn't seem to add up over the phone. I'm sure there's stuff I forgot about but they likely did some robbing Paul to pay Mary with the numbers.

I thought they were low balling the price because I didn't have a balance involved. At first I wouldn't confess that my TT was paid for. I'm more of a visual person so it would had been better to see the numbers on paper. It helps to see what was added or subtracted. The sales person kept talking about financing and how it has to be $10k or more. I have excellent credit but financing is not the right choice for me. I'm trying to cut costs not add another monthly payment.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Mr. Havercamp-

I'm in Southern California so winter is not an issue.

The 22RBXL is the next size up trailer. I finally found the information on the 20RBXL 2011 Forest River-California Salem Cruise Lite Series M-20RBXL Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

My trailer is the twin to the Wildwood line. 2011 Forest River-California Wildwood Cruise Lite Series M-20RBXL Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

I paid $14,900 out the door and this included the brake controller, electric tongue jack, EQ hitch equipment & $1,695 PDI (Yeah, I know the PDI now but it won't happen next time).

Thanks for your help.
Paid for pdi?
Even tho we bought our trailer from the same dealer as you did, they did not charge us for the pdi. Although we paid for the extended warranty, we we found out later on this forum that it wasn't necessary. :banghead:
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #37

Oh the numbers game… Some friends of ours are mad at our local dealer because a salesman gave them a good up-front quote for their trade-in but would not apply it towards any RVs on sale…

On the flip side, we bought our mildly-used TT from the SAME dealership on a day they were having a big sale on new units/same model (near wholesaler prices). They discounted our used unit accordingly and we got it for less than private sellers on Craigslist, etc. I spent 2 hours looking-over the unit & making a list of (all minor) stuff I wanted them to address.

For the sale price they included a FREE pressurized leak test & re-caulking, FREE Equalizer 4 WDH & installation, new battery, full propane, $100 store credit, and a 2.5 hour PDI. During the PDI they adjusted the slide-out cables & awning tracking and replaced the CO2 detector. They allowed me to videotape the entire PDI & even demonstrated how to retract the slide-outs with a cordless drill… I really, really feel we got our money’s worth & we have camped for 2 seasons without any serious issues.

Although I hate the numbers games dealers play, I also believe it is unrealistic to expect a high trade-in value from them... They genuinely can't get much more than private sellers on CL and yet they have to make the unit appealing to the next owner...
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
Paid for pdi?
Even tho we bought our trailer from the same dealer as you did, they did not charge us for the pdi. Although we paid for the extended warranty, we we found out later on this forum that it wasn't necessary. :banghead:
After spending 5+ hours doing the walk-through, coming back for a refresher on hitching/unhitching and not having issues with my trailer I do feel I got my value out of the PDI cost as an inexperienced new RV owner. In the beginning I needed a little hand holding as I was going through this by myself while lacking some basic knowledge that most people had acquired.

I did pay for the PDI but they also came way down on the TT price. In the end I'm sure they made money off of both of our contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Oh the numbers game… Some friends of ours are mad at our local dealer because a salesman gave them a good up-front quote for their trade-in but would not apply it towards any RVs on sale…

On the flip side, we bought our mildly-used TT from the SAME dealership on a day they were having a big sale on new units/same model (near wholesaler prices). They discounted our used unit accordingly and we got it for less than private sellers on Craigslist, etc. I spent 2 hours looking-over the unit & making a list of (all minor) stuff I wanted them to address.

For the sale price they included a FREE pressurized leak test & re-caulking, FREE Equalizer 4 WDH & installation, new battery, full propane, $100 store credit, and a 2.5 hour PDI. During the PDI they adjusted the slide-out cables & awning tracking and replaced the CO2 detector. They allowed me to videotape the entire PDI & even demonstrated how to retract the slide-outs with a cordless drill… I really, really feel we got our money’s worth & we have camped for 2 seasons without any serious issues.

Although I hate the numbers games dealers play, I also believe it is unrealistic to expect a high trade-in value from them... They genuinely can't get much more than private sellers on CL and yet they have to make the unit appealing to the next owner...
The second dealership tossed $7k, maybe if $8k... then came back with $6k as a trade-in. Like everyone said it's a number game. I agree that expecting a high trade-in offer is unlikely & unrealistic. I was shocked at how little my TT was worth even in excellent condition. I had an co-worker jumping at buying it for $8K as it would fit her needs. Besides selling it privately putting it on consignment at the dealership would be another option. Of course I would need to be fully aware of the factors involved in doing so.

I wanted a quick & easy way of swamping trailers. Sometimes we forget that there's work & cost involved for the dealership to sell it on their end.

After spending 5+ hours doing the walk-through, coming back for a refresher on hitching/unhitching and not having issues with my trailer I do feel I got my value out of the PDI cost as an inexperienced new RV owner. In the beginning I needed a little hand holding as I was going through this by myself while lacking some basic knowledge that most people had acquired.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I can't even... Really?

Does the guy also fall for the 50 cents each or 2/$1 deal as well?

My sister thinks "buy one - get 50% off on the second one" deals are great! I see that deal differently - "buy two & 25% off on both". Unless I was planning on buying two to start with I usually don't brother considering.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
X2 on what Jim said.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote