Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Steve Jackson

Trading in Trailer

What is a good time frame before you trade you trailer in? I would like to trade in for a Class C someday. At what point can you still get a good trade in value for you unit?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

I would think of your TT the same way you would of your vehicle when is a good time frame to trade in your vehicle and still get a good price.
rwmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you're trading it in on a new (or another) camper, I would think the slow season of fall/winter would be when the dealer is most receptive to dickering.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Dealers are often in a position near the end of the month to do whatever it takes to meet their monthly sales goals. I would think the last few days of any month would be a good time to exploit them. Maybe the end of the quarter and end of the year would be effective for the same reason.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

It is always good to remember that there are 3 parts to any negotiation with a dealer.

1) The new vehicle
2) The Trade In
3) The Financing

To get the very best deal possible; you must realize that they are SEPARATE and distinct, and it is to the dealer's advantage to lump them together.

Getting a great deal on one; means you are paying more than you should on the others.

That is not to say you can't do them all at the same time with the dealer; just that you won't get your best deal.

Shop around and get pre-approved BEFORE you walk into the dealership.

Having your own financing lined up will allow you to negotiate like a mad person when the dealer thinks he can make it up on the financing or trade.

Sell your old vehicle yourself. Tell the dealer you have no trade until you settle on a price for the new camper and how you will pay for it. THEN ask what he will give you on the trade. You will find he will not offer you very much (if you nicked him good on the new one).

You can then offer the used one on Craig's List or paper for the trade in offer plus the sales tax savings OR MORE and still give the new buyer a great deal.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

X2...to the tee!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

There is actually a 4th part (but most won't need it) and that is the extended warranty. You can buy that ANYWHERE from your own insurance company to Good Sam. You do NOT need to buy from the dealer (Car OR Camper).

If you do get one ALWAYS ask to see the owner (AFTER you sign the paperwork) and NEVER the salesman who is looking for his commission) and ask for the employee price and have them print out the employee pricing sheet. (They used to have a book, but it is online now).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
If you're trading it in on a new (or another) camper, I would think the slow season of fall/winter would be when the dealer is most receptive to dickering.

Dave
Just keep in mind, NADA publishes new values for autos and RVs in the August edition, ie: model year change. Your present value will drop 10-20% with the dealer "bible of used values". Trade before or long after Aug for your best value, along with the other good advice here.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Just keep in mind, NADA publishes new values for autos and RVs in the August edition, ie: model year change. Your present value will drop 10-20% with the dealer "bible of used values". Trade before or long after Aug for your best value, along with the other good advice here.
X2...I believe new NADA figures come out every 3-4 months to RV Dealers, meaning each time for potential price drops.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave
I thought this as well, but did not generally find it to be true. We were shopping late last summer going into fall. Dealer inventory was dwindling down for the most part and the new model year meetings were happening at FR plants in Indiana. What we found was that prices were holding rock steady. I think many dealers plan to sell most of their units at shows during the winter months and then in the spring. They schedule so that most of the inventory is gone by late summer. And they do not feel like dealing on the their last units in stock.

Does not make any sense to me...but then most of the RV sales industry does not make sense.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8

I thought this as well, but did not generally find it to be true. We were shopping late last summer going into fall. Dealer inventory was dwindling down for the most part and the new model year meetings were happening at FR plants in Indiana. What we found was that prices were holding rock steady. I think many dealers plan to sell most of their units at shows during the winter months and then in the spring. They schedule so that most of the inventory is gone by late summer. And they do not feel like dealing on the their last units in stock.

Does not make any sense to me...but then most of the RV sales industry does not make sense.
If they don't make money, you can't buy then in Winne Dixie or Walmart. Gotta buy at "best times".
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote