Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 AM   #1

Traffic Problems With Idiots

I have a 09 SV291 pulled with a Z71 4WD. I had my first encounter with traffic in Atlanta (my first big city) recently. I had to get over into the other lane. Had my blinker on for the longest time. I was on the perimeter interstate outside of Atlanta. Traffic was moderate. I pull at 65 to 70 mph. If, after a while, they don't let you in, is it acceptable to just shove them over? Slowing down just brought fingers out. I actually had to do this (shove them over). I am 50 yrs old and can handle A-Holes but I cannot for the life of me come to the conclusion that if the blinker is on, me being in a big honking train I am pulling, WHY DON"T THEY LET YOU OVER?
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I think you answered your question with your description of them! I've been pretty fortunate that someone has blinked their lights and let me over, but this is usually after at least 10 that won't. I guess they don't want to be behind anything too large in their minds. I've had them pull from another lane and get next to me, between my motorhome and my tow vehicle, once I'm already half into the lane I'm trying to get in. I have noticed that most of the time the vehicle that let's you over generally has a hitch on the back so they know what you're up against.
My biggest beef with other drivers is when they're getting on the highway they come right on without using the acceleration lane. They generally just jump out there and are nowhere near the speed limit. I'm approaching a large hill so I'm trying to get a decent run at it so I won't be crawling half way up the hill. I then have to ride the brakes to keep from running them over and then I'm down to about 35 miles an hour. They just pull away and the traffic behind me thinks I'm the one creating the rolling road block. I'd love to have a horn like a diesel locomotive and scare the living @#*& out of them. I can't help but think that these people just don't care about anyone other than themselves or else they're just plain stupid.
Thank God for the courteous drivers out there. The group is getting smaller each day. Be safe and try to enjoy your drive to any destination. When they don't let you over, get next to them, toot the horn, smile, wave your hand, and say thanks for nothing!
KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that doesn't say much for Atlanta. I'll have to say that my experience is that people go out of their way to be nice to allow our lane changes etc. We've had people brake and flash their lights to let us in. Maybe it was just a bad day for you.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #4

I hope I was only having a bad day up there. We have to go through Atlanta tomorrow on our way to north Ga. Hopefully with the addition of the 25 MM Bushmaster cannon I acquired and installed on a rotating turret on the back of the roof the idiots will get the message when I turn on my signals. My son is going to have a blast. Ha!
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #5

Ah Atlanta traffic - I drive Wash DC to Ft Walton few times a year and Atlanta is like a race way ---- far worse than DC or even NJ drivers. I try to avoid rush hours there - but it seems to always be rush hour. Find a Miata to intimidate when sliding over.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

I had a problem with traffic when we were headed the Deep Creak Lake in Western Md, Once I merged on to the interstate I had to get to my far left lane to pick up my next rout because it exited to the left. No one would let me over, and yes blinker was on, well the only thing I could think of is to start a sway pattern with both TV and TT in my lane, swaying from left to right and kept on doing it well be fore I knew it I had every lane availble to me. It is amazing how well it works. The traffic stayed way back until ower rig was under contol, then I got some funny looks as they pass me and so I just
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I had a problem with traffic when we were headed the Deep Creak Lake in Western Md, Once I merged on to the interstate I had to get to my far left lane to pick up my next rout because it exited to the left. No one would let me over, and yes blinker was on, well the only thing I could think of is to start a sway pattern with both TV and TT in my lane, swaying from left to right and kept on doing it well be fore I knew it I had every lane availble to me. It is amazing how well it works. The traffic stayed way back until ower rig was under contol, then I got some funny looks as they pass me and so I just
What a great idea.....hope you don't have a patent on that, because I just might have to use it in the future.

chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
What a great idea.....hope you don't have a patent on that, because I just might have to use it in the future.

chap
No patent, I travel to Northern VA every day to work, and there is no problem in the morning (3:30am) just me and the deer, but on the way home between 3pm to 5pm I run in to traffic on RT 28 and RT 7 and along RT 15 heading North, I have used this sway pattern in my car as well and it works just as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
2x Forest River Owner

I'm in So Cal. If you don't muscle your way over here, you never will - unless there's another guy pulling a camper or one of the few nice truckers left on the road.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

If you ever get to Washington state don't use a blinker! It's just a sign to the people behind you that you want over in which case they will speed up to close the hole.

If my lane is ending or I need an exit and I have had the blinker on long enough for someone to let me in by all means I MAKE my own hole. On our last trip I had my blinker on for the longest time to get over and the guy behind me starts to pass me! He was along side my 37' rig when I said enough is enough and started over. He had to slam on his brakes and back off. Serves him right!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Great idea for lane changes. I can tell you from personal experience the it also works wonders for tailgaters. Yes, Atlanta is one of the worse places I have ever driven through and, when inevitable, I adjust my schedule to avoid any proximity to rush hour. That's when they really get crazy. 75 - 80 mph in the middle of all those lanes and with my trailer in tow is not my idea of a good time.

PS The wiggle-waggle also works well for allowing you a fairly good view of what is behind you.

PPS In most states failing to yield the right of way after receiving a turn signal is a serious traffic offense.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #12

There is one thing I just thought about with sway, Hopefully when you start to sway because of traffic, the Trooper three cars behind you in an unmarked car has a good since of humor, just be prepared for that issue.