Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tragedy on I-77 Virginia

Attached is a link of a news article of a tragic accident involving a family from Hamilton, Ontario travelling to Myrtle Beach this past weekend. So very sad...

This highlights the need for safety considerations when choosing trailer and tow vehicle.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/395798

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Man...I hate seeing things like this.Tragic accidents that can be avoided simply by informing yourself with all the knowledge you need to do the task right. A real eye opener. Be safe out there folks!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #3

An 05 Durango pulling an 8000 pound empty trailer. It's amazing the truck made it out of the driveway. Of course it doesnt say if he had that specific truck when he bought the trailer, but this is cause for dealers to be more honest about actual weights and to not oversell to a customer that has a vehicle that cannot pull what they are looking at.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #4

tragic

prayers for those two little girls who lost their mommy and daddy...........
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

That was definitely a very bad accident. It occurred within our area. The TV video was absolutely horrifying. Here is the link to one of the local stations:

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/n...atality/13200/

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #6

I'm not trying to make light of the situation,but if you watch the video one of the witnesses says the durango was pulling a fifth wheel trailer. now we all now that is an impossibility,but it just goes to show that when it comes to people who witness different events it's no wonder why you'll get 5 different conflicting stories from 5 different people.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
Grape Escape

Accident questions

I wonder how police figured out trailer was overloaded, 35' long(Pretty rare unit to be that big), one account mentions it is 5th wheel??,Sure would be nice to know exactly which unit, weight etc. Did they pick up all the pieces and weigh it all?? I feel for the families. From my own experiences trailering can be pretty hairy at times.I can go 3 days and barely notice trailer behind us and another when it is all over the road. One must drive with extreme care when pulling one of these units.We did a 5300km road trip last year in 2 weeks and most days drive was fine but a couple days were white knuckle drives. As to why I cannot explain other than strong cross winds
I cannot understand so called investigation reports that seem to blame the father who was the driver. Did they do complete investigation to discover unit was overweight and newpaper reports an SUV Dodge Durango pulling a 5th wheel which is totally impossible. Perhaps a tire blew?
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #8

I'm betting it wasnt weight that caused this,not that it helped im sure, but rather the wheelbase of the durango being too short to tow 33 feet. I'm betting he started getting some real bad sway and overcompensated and just lost total control of the truck.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This item was also posted on RV.net (by our Virginia friends). Needless to say, it generated lots of discussion of the causes of sway. A very useful piece of information that I took away from it was to use to the brake controller manual override to apply the trailer brakes alone to bring the trailer back in line should the trailer start to sway. Thought that I should share that tip here.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
A very useful piece of information that I took away from it was to use to the brake controller manual override to apply the trailer brakes alone to bring the trailer back in line should the trailer start to sway. Thought that I should share that tip here.
Yes.

With one caveat. Unless you practice emergency braking you WILL NOT remember that override button.
As an example… I ride a motorcycle and I practice low-speed control and emergency braking weekly. That practice has on more than one occasion saved my hide. I practice emergency braking almost daily on my scooter. Dry and wet. I also practice rear wheel skids with a piece of plywood to slid on to make sure I know the different ways the bike will react.
Practicing emergency braking with your TV and trailer combo is just as important. I admit that I do not practice it as much as I should. But you can bet your sweet 4th point of contact that I will now and I will also make my wife practice it as well as she does tow also. While I have a 5’er and it has NEVER had any type of sway I can see where knowing what to do in an emergency situation should the TV brakes fail or what have you and being able to react quickly to the problem at hand could save our lives.
Very good tip. But unless it is practiced and practiced and practiced. It will do you absolutely no good.