Old 08-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer broken into while at dealer

So we had our trailer at the dealer for another service call and while it was there it was broken into. It seems the night or two after we picked up our trailer, the new trailer lot at the same dealer had major theft, they don't know which night since they were closed the next day. The sad thing is they were 'fixing' something that had been attempted to fix the previous warranty service trip.

My question is who is liable in the case when we trusted our trailer to the dealer and there was major theft from inside the trailer. One door lock was broken, not both. Which tells me the dealer only locked the handle, not the deadbolt.

I am told by the GM that they only carry insurance to cover their items, not their customers.

Anyone have this happen and how to resolve?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Turn it into your insurance company and let them fight it out.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Get the dealerships insurance carrier and call them directly. How did the thieves gain access to the, I'm assuming, parts/service department? Did the cut locks? Did the cut a fence? Was there a fence?

Do you have a list of what was stolen or damaged? Depending on the cost you can see what the dealer willing to do to retain a customer. I'd you have to use your insurance see if the dealership will cover your deductible, since they didn't lock both locks on something that was entrusted to their care.

2016 nights camped = 11
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Turn it into your insurance company and let them fight it out.
x2

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
x2
X3

This is what we pay insurance Co. to do, make them earn their keep.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_MN View Post
So we had our trailer at the dealer for another service call and while it was there it was broken into. It seems the night or two after we picked up our trailer, the new trailer lot at the same dealer had major theft, they don't know which night since they were closed the next day. The sad thing is they were 'fixing' something that had been attempted to fix the previous warranty service trip.

My question is who is liable in the case when we trusted our trailer to the dealer and there was major theft from inside the trailer. One door lock was broken, not both. Which tells me the dealer only locked the handle, not the deadbolt.

I am told by the GM that they only carry insurance to cover their items, not their customers.

Anyone have this happen and how to resolve?
Seems the dealer has a fiduciary responsibility . since it was in there care . there ins should cover it . they just don't want to make a claim so turn it over to yours and they will collect it for you
Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

Had a car stolen at a dealer once, my insurance covered it; not the dealer. This was in MI so laws are different. Dealer did give me a free 30 day rental, didn't have to, since the ins would not pay off for thirty days waiting to see if it was recovered (thankfully it wasn't).

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
Get the dealerships insurance carrier and call them directly. How did the thieves gain access to the, I'm assuming, parts/service department? Did the cut locks? Did the cut a fence? Was there a fence?

Do you have a list of what was stolen or damaged? Depending on the cost you can see what the dealer willing to do to retain a customer. I'd you have to use your insurance see if the dealership will cover your deductible, since they didn't lock both locks on something that was entrusted to their care.
This poster is correct, do NOT just turn the claim over to your insurance company, that is a huge mistake. It is called "subrogation ". The second you let your own insurance company handle the claim, you relinquish ALL controll how it is handled. You need to contact the dealers insurance carrier and explain that "it is assumed that reasonable expectation of security is provided on the dealer premises, therefore please direct me on filling a claim with you" Start with that line and then listen to the song and dance routine. If you don't want to make sure you get reimbursed for all loss, including your deductable, then turn it over to your insurance co. and enjoy the ride!

The law doctrines in play here are; reasonable expectation to secure your property, when in control of your repair facility. Person responsible is the dealer, regardless if they have insurance to cover such loss. If the dealer cheapo'd out and didn't have that "rider", not your problem. Immediately file a police report in the town of loss, listing with them the full contents of your loss with replacement values. Nothing brings someones attention more than a small claims proceding. But, hold that till you here the whole song and dance routine. Oh, one more thing, do take contemperanious notes on all conversations. Let us know how much, if any tap dancing occurs.

Lastly, you always want to avoid claims with your own insurance company, where they may payout a claim to you, and it was not your fault for the loss occured. The reason is called "frequency of claims" which is taken into account when things like premiums and renewal are coming up.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Check the dealership many RV and auto dealers have signs that say not responsible for theft on their lots. If the dealer used reasonable efforts to secure the lot and it was broken into as well as your TT, then it will most likely have to go to your ins co.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

The way to handle it is to call both insurance companies and make a claim to each. Let them know each insurance company's info. Then they will work it out.

Tags
dealer, trailer