Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer Caddies

Hi All!
Wondering if anyone out there has experience with trailer caddies and recommend a particular model? We're getting our first travel trailer in a few weeks (Rpod 176) and the place where it will be stored is just big enough, but there is very little room for maneuvering to back it in.
Thanks!
guapogomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Haven't used a trailer caddie.....looked at quite a few online and did some research on youtube. We decided to install a front receiver hitch on our TV. It's basically the same principle as a caddie, you are pushing and steering from the front trailer hitch. Like you, we have a tight area to park our A122s A-frame...about 6" on each side.
Around the Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

We have moved our tag-a-long trailer with a hitch on the front of a utility tractor...same principle as front hitch on TV. Works GREAT!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #4

I have the Trailer Valet XL and it works for me. But I do have some caveats. I am on a completely level and paved driveway. They say it works on packed gravel but probably only with an unloaded utility trailer. I also move EVERYTHING off the tongue and forward storage. This makes it enough of a hassle that I don’t do it every time we camp but only when storing for the winter (I have the option to block part of my garage during camping season.) I can get my 26ft/4000lb trailer in a space that is inches from my eave so it is definitely worth it to me when compared to paying for storage.
GLBCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the idea, never thought of that! I have a 2013 Yukon XL, will have to see how that might work.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBCamper View Post
I have the Trailer Valet XL and it works for me. But I do have some caveats. I am on a completely level and paved driveway. They say it works on packed gravel but probably only with an unloaded utility trailer. I also move EVERYTHING off the tongue and forward storage. This makes it enough of a hassle that I don’t do it every time we camp but only when storing for the winter (I have the option to block part of my garage during camping season.) I can get my 26ft/4000lb trailer in a space that is inches from my eave so it is definitely worth it to me when compared to paying for storage.

I was looking at the Trailer Valet, looks like a good option. The Rpod is only 2800lbs, so hopefully it should be easy to maneuver. Our drive is level and paved as well.
Thanks for the response!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
llr

being level and paved you may be able to use a wheel on the tongue jack or a manual trailer dolly such as this they say for up to 600 pound tongue weight
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
being level and paved you may be able to use a wheel on the tongue jack or a manual trailer dolly such as this they say for up to 600 pound tongue weight
I like it! Thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #9

I tried a manual dolly....rated 800 lbs. and had 3 wheels so seemed like it would work great. My driveway is concrete and level....it was waaay hard to move the A-frame. My 20's grandson & friend could move it but not easily. Would not look to a manual dolly as an alternative.
Around the Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around the Bend View Post
I tried a manual dolly....rated 800 lbs. and had 3 wheels so seemed like it would work great. My driveway is concrete and level....it was waaay hard to move the A-frame. My 20's grandson & friend could move it but not easily. Would not look to a manual dolly as an alternative.
The Trailer Valet XL is technically a manual dolly (in that it is not powered) but uses gearing to make it easier to move a trailer. I also forgot to mention in my “review” above that we have found that it does take two people. One to release the brake and steer and one to turn the crank. They also provide a drill attachment that you can supposedly use on your power drill, but there is no way that works, at least not with my trailer. Again, I think if you had an unloaded utility trailer, maybe. They are also not cheap. (But cheaper than storage.)

P.S. Hi from Bend!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around the Bend View Post
Hmm...the search continues.
Thanks for the input!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBCamper View Post
The Trailer Valet XL is technically a manual dolly (in that it is not powered) but uses gearing to make it easier to move a trailer. I also forgot to mention in my “review” above that we have found that it does take two people. One to release the brake and steer and one to turn the crank. They also provide a drill attachment that you can supposedly use on your power drill, but there is no way that works, at least not with my trailer. Again, I think if you had an unloaded utility trailer, maybe. They are also not cheap. (But cheaper than storage.)

P.S. Hi from Bend!
I was looking at that as an option. Claims to be good for up to 5000lbs, so it would be plenty for my purposes. Definitely cheaper than storage, and any repairs I'd probably need to my truck after banging it up trying to steer the trailer into it's spot!

Thanks for input, and hi from Philly!

Tags
trailer