Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Recommendation rv length

Going to sell the tt and buy a 5er for full timing. DH wants a 40'..I am concerned that is too big. Tow vehicle not an issue. Any advice from full timers would be appreciated
Rhymaunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer length

Recommendation on length of 5th wheel for full timing. Hubby wants a 40' cedar creek. I am concerned that is too long. Any advice from those in the know!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Length of the trailer is like shoes, you will never know how they pinch until you try them on. Spend some time in the different models, more then a walk thru and get a feel for them.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on your full timing decision.
No full timing experience here.
Have fun with your family while exploring this great nation building lots of memories. Stay safe and Happy Camping from Farmer NC
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Length of the trailer is like shoes, you will never know how they pinch until you try them on. Spend some time in the different models, more then a walk thru and get a feel for them.

Yes. Spend lots of time in potential units. Sit in the furniture and see how it works for watching tv. Same with bathroom. Imagine using everything and see if you "fit". We have a 40' 5er for my family of 5 and enjoy the space. Sometimes I wish it was bigger. As far as hauling it's no problem though.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

Just the wife and I in our 42' 5 er. Couldn't be happier. Lots of room for everything. Our litle pooch has plenty of room. I don't have problems getting around with it. Some places tighter than others.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

Very difficult to answer as you have not provided any context from either you or your husband's perspective.

However, there are a few general starting rules. Most new owners buy too short, don't really know what to buy and buy the wrong floor plan, amenities, and quality.

The best RV dollars I have ever spent was when my wife and I rented a 24 foot motorhome for ten days together.

I was shocked by the end of the ten days to find out my wife doesn't really like RVs, doesn't like trucks, got motion sickness about half the time, wants to continue working for the next 15 years, and doesn't want to travel outside of California.

I was shocked to find out that I will not always have my wife with me if I travel now that I'm retired, whether nationally or internationally...and I will do both.

The last two months I have been going through a few mental transitions. I suspect that when I do commit it is likely I will be in a heavy and large SUV towing a 25 foot max Airstream trailer. Before that my list had 3 possibles, one of which was a 3/4 ton truck and a 30 foot Airstream, second was a used 40 foot motorhome with a towable, and third was a Class B or B+...even looked at doing a van conversion.

Wife wants me to buy an SUV and no RV, OR a Van conversion. You can probably understand the compromise solution I need to craft.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymaunb View Post
Recommendation on length of 5th wheel for full timing. Hubby wants a 40' cedar creek. I am concerned that is too long. Any advice from those in the know!

What is your concern? Too much room?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Duplicate threads merged by site team.

Please allow the site team to moderate the site. If you see what you believe to be a violation, please "Report" it so we can handle it. Thank you.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:

I have a Cedar Creek, it's 36ft long, sometimes I wish it was 41 ft long. It's nice to have more in camper. In state parks you may have a problem but you may not. I am to long to stay in some parks. I have a favorite campsite at the beach and at 36ft I can get in and at 40ft I can't. It all depends on the park but I would say at most places you won't have a problem. What kind of truck do you have?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

I have a Ford F-350 dually...I prefer state parks and such over private campgrounds..trying to watch the expenses as we will be on a fixed income..
Old 04-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #12

Space, better to have it and not need it.

35 footer or longer for full timing in MHO.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #13

Another way to look at this is that once you get beyond 35 feet, length doesn't much matter except as to matching with an appropriate towing vehicle. For motorhomes, once you hit 40 feet, same thing.

Some people can full-time in very short units, but I believe that takes a lot of mental discipline.

Personally, I can't get my mind around full-timing in any RV...don't want to sell my paid for home. Need to do some repainting this year. I have a fig tree, apricot tree, two different plum trees, two orange trees, and a lemon tree. My wife is from China and she just loves the fruit trees.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a 34RL Cedar Creek which is 37' long. When this is attached to my truck (21' long) the overall length is 55' from the front bumper of my truck to the rear of the 5er. So a 40' or 42' long Cedar Creek would only be about 58' to 60' in total length, in my case which would still be easy to tow and maneuver about. I also believe if you are going to be full time in an RV you will need a lot of storage space so, a longer trailer will help you in that case.

I know if we were to full time we would need two TV vehicles, with one pulling a 20' to 25' cargo trailer to hold my wood working tools, shop tools + my wife's craft items and her sewing room items.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #15

"I know if we were to full time we would need two TV vehicles, with one pulling a 20' to 25' cargo trailer to hold my wood working tools, shop tools + my wife's craft items and her sewing room items."

Really great response. That is the bottom line issue - what will you be doing at your destination! Admiring the scenery, hiking, and fishing only go so far for me, then I get bored.

I have heard a lot of RVers talk about RVing as a journey, but really, that translates out to me as on road mileage, repairs, and maintenance. So, for me, it is all about the destination, which is why I won't sell my home and go full-time...though a bit of camping works and overseas excursions.

Going full-time would force me to do the same thing, I would need a 2nd TV and a cargo trailer to hold my cooking tools, my reading books, my shop tools, my gym weights and machines, and...most importantly, my drawing stuff and my paints. Really don't mind taking care of my fruit trees and my boxer loves our local dog park (but is always ready for a bit of nose exploring).

And no I don't want to be a minimalist or throw off all this stuff...my mind is already relaxed, free, past resolved, and happy. A "camping" trailer would just add more options...which is a good thing.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #16

We've moved up thru the lengths from 24 to 30 to 40 foot over several years. Each time we got longer it effectively complicated a bit where we would fit into comfortably but we knew that going in. We loved the extra room, particularly when the weather sucked or we had company. I was a little concerned going from 30 ft to 40 about maneuverability differences but that really didn't ever become an issue for me and I really didn't have negative issues. We've since moved to a motorhome for other reasons, but we never regretted going bigger in our fifth wheels. As others have said, it's what works for you and spend a good deal of effort not only looking at different unit configurations but lengths and storage as well.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #17

If you like to stay in state and national parks, or want to go into primitive areas, go shorter. If you want to be very comfortable for long periods of time, go longer.

Our fiver is 35' nose to tail and it does limit where we can go. I can't take it into most primitive areas or off road too far, and it's too long for most state and national parks. But we always figure out a way to get where we want to be, even if we have to park the rig somewhere close by and make day trips.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #18

I read that many of the National Parks can't hold 40 footers.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Going to sell the tt and buy a 5er for full timing. DH wants a 40'..I am concerned that is too big. Tow vehicle not an issue. Any advice from full timers would be appreciated
1-you're coming from a TT so you have some understanding of what you like and dislike. floor plan, different living spaces in front or rear. etc etc.
i didn't see any comment to children so it appears that it will only be for 2. so much to consider in a 40' for 2. :-).
2-there have been some great suggestions. renting different units may be hard to come by, depending where you are, but would help tremendously with decisions.
3--if you were in south-to-central louisiana i could give you 5 state parks & sites that you would enjoy. if you had some destinations many here could help.
4- For money considerations, you could potentially save by buying a 1-3 year old unit as a test pattern then go for the gold!! In our area there are multiple examples of what i mean. In our region, we now have many nearly new campers for sale at nice pricing.

just some thoughts
thanks for entertaining them :-)
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer