Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 01:38 AM   #41

I have run michelins on my trucks for alot of years. I have never had a problem with them. I drive winter roads as i live in michigan. In fall i drive across corn fields and soy bean fields when i hunt my property. Again never had a problem. I also run goodyear endurance on my fiver. And now that i know Marcus Lemonass owns trailer life i will get rid of my subscription. I also own a flafstaff fiver which is made by Forest River. Thats another hit for Mr Lemonass. (This is what i refer to him as everytime i get an advertisement in the mail that i return postage due)
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:43 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
I also own a flafstaff fiver which is made by Forest River. Thats another hit for Mr Lemonass.
What do Forest River and Mr Lemonis have to do with each other?
I don't get your statement.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #43

Bikendan, as stated earlier in this thread lemonass and forest river do not get along. Thats why you will never see any article or advertisement for forest river in trailer life magazine.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #44

“If you don't read the (trailer life) newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the (trailer life) newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Bikendan, as stated earlier in this thread lemonass and forest river do not get along. Thats why you will never see any article or advertisement for forest river in trailer life magazine.
Well, you are absolutely incorrect in your statement. Here's a great article on the FR Cardinal in November. http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/rvs/cardinal-rules/

And if you go back through the issues, you can find many more examples of FR.

But I understand your anger. In today's world, it's easier to misplace your anger toward a company or an individual where you feel you can actually doing something about it (like not purchase from them). Much less frustrating than being angry with the real reasons for world problems, which you can do little or nothing about.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I look at tire rack, the reviews is what I look at. I want a tire that is better in rain, I don’t do any off-road driving. I plan on buying tires at Walmart because they will sell a road hazard insurance on LT tires and Walmart is everywhere.
That's what I did last. Ordered Michelin AT2s for my Tundra over walmart.com. wife ran over sharp Spike in cg in Eagles Nest NM and blew it out. Nearest Walmart ordered us a new one. Got it next day, installed, balanced for $92. Tire was originally $260 new. Had 50,000+ miles on it when wife ruined it. Walmarts everywhere.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
TrailerLife's sister magazine, Motor Home, has a Berkshire on the front cover and a lengthy article about it. But I hardly ever saw anything in TrailerLife about fr.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #48
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've been getting Trailer Life for years, but I let the subscription go this last time as I found that I just wasn't reading it anymore.

I have the last two years worth of my subscription in my 5'ver (all of them unread by me) thinking I'll read them when camping...but I never do.

Thought they might make good campfire starters...but don't do campfires anymore, either.

I like the magazine...I just don't read books or magazines anymore...makes me sleepy!

Heck, I'm a former newspaper man (photojournalist) and I don't even read the newspaper anymore.

As for bringing politics into this...not gonna do it!

If I need camping supplies and I happen to be near a Camping World store...

Guess where I'm gonna stop!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
In my humble opinion Michelin is in the same category as Bose Speakers. You are not paying for the quality of product you are paying for the advertising so you think you are getting a quality product.

Well, I have been driving for over 56 years, and my Dad was in the tire business since before WWII, started as a rubber chemist fir Firestone, and later ran a research program for a carbon company that supplied all tire manufacturers in the US and several off shore manufacturers. I have used a bunch of different tires, here and in Europe, also had a fleet of light trucks under my mgt. for a number of years. We experienced all the classic tire failures at various times, tread separations, side wall failures etc. But none on a Michelin....I use them exclusively on my truck, family cars, and motorcycle.

True there are other tires out there that are really good (particularly when comparing them to the bias ply offerings of the 50's through 70's). But for the little extra cost, the dependability of Michelin makes sense to me.

So far as TL and their evaluation. It isn't much of an evaluation if they only include the "pay to play" products.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If I need camping supplies and I happen to be near a Camping World store...

Guess where I'm gonna stop!

Wal Mart? Or better yet an independent RV shop?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
The exclusion of Michelin's is not odd at all. Michilen likely didn't give Trailer Life a free set of tires to review or Trailer Life would not allow Michelin to bribe them with for a good review. This happens often in every industry and review.

I've got Michelin LTX AT2's on my F250 and can't wait to get them off the truck. They are not special in any way and do not perform well as an AT tire when you actually need an AT tire.

You are free to no longer read the magazine; however, in my humble opinion, you may miss out on some of the good information they provide.

As Momma always said: Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
X2!

As for Bose speakers. All sound differentBut I can say this. When I lived in Germany there was a large Music club that sold stereo equipment. In the back there was a large room and there were black curtains about 3 ft out from each wall all the way around. There were chairs in the room and a audio table with all the speakers numbered, not named. There were pads and pencils. They recommended you go in and listen to the speakers and write down the 3 numbers that sounded the best.

The Mgr was a friend of mine and I asked him what speaker comes out number 1? He said 'it's always the same, and every week we rewire the board so number 14 last week, would be a different number this week'

and the winner, week after week is...Bose 901's
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Wal Mart? Or better yet an independent RV shop?
Amazon!
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #53
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
When I lived in Germany there was a large Music club that sold stereo equipment. In the back there was a large room and there were black curtains about 3 ft out from each wall all the way around. There were chairs in the room and a audio table with all the speakers numbered, not named. There were pads and pencils. They recommended you go in and listen to the speakers and write down the 3 numbers that sounded the best.

The Mgr was a friend of mine and I asked him what speaker comes out number 1? He said 'it's always the same, and every week we rewire the board so number 14 last week, would be a different number this week'
I would LOVE to go to a shop like that. That's awesome and I love that they re-wire it each week.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #54
Enjoying Life

Many moons ago, I was a service manager at Pacific Stereo. We had a sound room in the store which sounds (no pun intended) the same. We had both multiple speaker layouts and multiple amplifier/receivers hooked up so you could compare many combinations. We did not have curtains but it was part of my job every Saturday before opening to reconfigure the location of the speakers in the room and the connections to the electronics. Week after week, the highest rated were the Bose and Klipsch speakers. The highest rated amps were the McIntosh and Marantz.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #55

Last I heard...Bose 901's are no longer made.

Too bad... best speakers they ever made!

No lows...must be Bose!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Last I heard...Bose 901's are no longer made.

Too bad... best speakers they ever made!

No lows...must be Bose!
I think so, the sound, there was nothing that matched it unless you started reaching for the custom $$$$$ setups, not that Bose was cheap, not at all if I remember correctly they were about $995 out the door at the Stereo Club there in Germany. Those clubs sold anything made at prices that were unbeatable. It was actually club that you had to join in order to buy. If you ordered a unit you bought at their cost plus some small %, if you bought off the shelf it marked up enough to pay expenses which were low as it was located on a military base.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #57
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I agree, the 901’s were great speakers. I still have a pair with the active Eq. They were, and still do lack any meaningful lower mid and low end. Paired with a custom sub I designed and built, they are good. They do not have the staging or openness, detail or presence of my current Martin Logans. (Another great Craigslist find....lol)
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #58

I think the problem with the 901's was that you could hear the bass...but couldn't feel the bass.

And that is half of what makes up the low end... feeling it!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 AM   #59
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Well, there is a reason you could not feel the bass, it is NOT THERE! Bose always had the idea of ‘better sound thru science”. That meant his speakers were not anywhere close to being flat. He designed them to hit the sweet spots of the average untrained listener. Put them on a RTA, (real time analyzer) or do some critical listening, you will see how many voids there are in the response.

While they often sounded great to most, I always found them to be missing a lot here and there. Too many years being spoiled with recording studio gear in my formative years!

The set of 901’s were given to me and I keep them as my garage speakers, with the custom sub. It is totally amazing to hear the difference between the 901’s and the Altec studio monitors I had, and now the Martin Logans. There are things you hear in the program that the 901’s never could reproduce due to the missing frequency response they have.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer