Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer purchase

Wife and I bought our Flagstaff 25FKS about 1 month ago, and now realize it's not really the camper we dreamed of. Specifically there is no place to sit except for the dinette.
We we're thinking of trading it in for a different trailer that would better suit us, just wondering if anyone else has ever done that and how much if any did you lose on trade.
Old Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

Depending on the initial deal you got you will loose 20-40%
Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Depends on what you paid for it but, most likely you will loose money. How is your relationship with your RV dealer? Maybe they will be willing to work out something with you.

Here's a tip for you:

On your next campout sit in your camper and make a list of everything you dislike and everything you wish you could have. This will put you on a good upgrade path.

Another thought - IIRC, that Flagstaff is a pretty lightweight unit. Upgrade considerations will also have to factor in your Tow Vehicle. Will you need to upgrade it IOT upgrade your Camper?

If you happen to have a newer truck that can pull @ 11K lbs you may want to take a look at a Rockwood Ultralight 5th wheel. We owned the 8289WS before we got our coach - it was a great camper!

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

We recently looked a toy hauler. Our Sandpiper is 1 year old but is a 2016 model. To trade would've cost us 15k. At that particular dealer.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Is it possible you would just remove the dinette and insert a nice couch, just my quick thought. Our first TT just had a dinette as well and that did get a little old. I would rather just have a cozy couch.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

We're in a similar boat, we bought a 2015 travel trailer in 2014 and then found that even though it's really, really nice, we should have bought a 5th wheel.
Last year, the TT was about a year old then and were shopping and found we were too far upside down in the loan and would have lost way too much for my wife's (the CFO of the family) liking.
We've since refinanced it and are working to pay it down so the loss won't be terribly bad, but it will still be a loss. In my opinion, since there is a flooding of the RV market in some types, unless you had to money to put a chunk of change on the purchase, you're gonna lose money! All those RV's listed for 'only' so much a month is just about always at the longest term and the minimum payment and in that the buyer will be upside down for years!
Plan is now to trade and get 5th wheel next spring. We also found that buying from the dealer we purchased the trailer from, they were more willing to give us a better "trade in deal" than any of the other places we'd been shopping.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is great View Post
Is it possible you would just remove the dinette and insert a nice couch, just my quick thought. Our first TT just had a dinette as well and that did get a little old. I would rather just have a cozy couch.

Same situation with our 22' MH. A couch would be a lot more comfortable. But, our dinette is sitting on the slide, and it probably weighs a lot less than a couch would.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Insert witty title here

For us, a trailer upgrade also means a TV upgrade as well. I'm pulling right at the safe limit of my truck as it is.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

This is why I don't understand why people don't buy used.

You spent more on that than a new car, only to decide after a month you didn't like it?

Maybe you should have spent $5k on a used on and figured out what you did and didn't like about it, before dropping that kind of dough.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

We looked at some used. They were disgustingly dirty. Since I am the driver, I then got worried about being away from home in it and something gows wrong. To us, it just made sense tobuy a new one. The older I get, the more overly cautious I am. Same reason we bought the toad brand new. Looked at used, and it just made me more nervous!
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #11

A used camper is the pinnacle of buying another persons problem. Not me.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

No, not traded one back in, but I've been on the other end of the transaction with a nice savings! We bought a "used" trailer only five months after it was manufactured and saved several thousand. If it had ever even left the dealers lot we couldn't tell it by looking at it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
No, not traded one back in, but I've been on the other end of the transaction with a nice savings! We bought a "used" trailer only five months after it was manufactured and saved several thousand. If it had ever even left the dealers lot we couldn't tell it by looking at it.
Same. I always buy my cars 2 years old off lease. Let some other person take the financial loss, not myself. I get a nearly new car for about 60% of the price, with plenty of warranty left on it.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Team

With it only be a month old it might be a bit soon to know what else might not a good fit for you family. Time & camping could provide more insight rather than just the lack of seating options.

You could see what options your dealer would offer to see how the numbers work out and where you stand. The outcome might take care of some of the mystery. Selling the unit yourself could yield a better outcome than trading it in. There are pros & cons whether you trade or sell.

Another option would to hold off a while and use your present trailer as a starter trailer with the goal of getting a different unit down the road. In the meantime during nicer weather you could set up an outdoor area with additional seating. This suggestion might not be ideal but it doesn't necessary have to be forever.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #15

We traded our 2014 Wildcat MAXX (24RG) for a 2016 Wildcat MAXX (28RKX) about 15 months after the 24RG purchase. Paid $24K for the 24RG, got $18K trade in. Not too happy with the trade in value, but as they say "it is what it is"!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #16

Our first was almost 2 years old and not used much... Still had the new trailer smell. OCD people owned it. Never "cooked" inside just rolls or something, never wore shoes inside, never showered inside etc... I did more bad stuff after I got it than they did. It was still nice when the Lord took it. The only thing I did bad to it in 2 1/2 years was let it sit outside.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #17

I started with a 21' Flagstaff MicroLite 4 seasons ago. The following season I traded on a 25' MicroLite. The following season I traded on a Sunseeker Class C and have used it for 2 years now and I don't plan to trade it.

I lost about 10% on both trades but my trailer was only 1 year old and like new inside and out. I got them for a good price as well so I think that helped. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #18

We are in our 5 th trailer in 10 yrs. Each one for different reasons. Like this one for now. Try to fix what you don't like.
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #19

Re: Flagstaff 25FKS (Rockwood Mini Lite 2506S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Legend View Post
Wife and I bought our Flagstaff 25FKS about 1 month ago, and now realize it's not really the camper we dreamed of. Specifically there is no place to sit except for the dinette.
We we're thinking of trading it in for a different trailer that would better suit us, just wondering if anyone else has ever done that and how much if any did you lose on trade.
Sorry that happened...We looked at the same trailer but with Rockwood label. 2506S. And I thought it was an odd floor layout..as it seemed "roomy" but really a lot of empty space in the middle. Not much storage either. Only reason I could see anyone would order is due desire for the pull out kitchen or having a bedroom? We thought we liked the 2502S but the sofa is not as "deep" as the sofa in the 2503. and there is wasted space behind the sofa.

We decided to order the 2503S murphy bed option. Love the second door into the huge bathroom.
Hope you find the one you love!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer