Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Ok we have had vintage pop ups for years and decided to upgrade ro a travel trailer because we work too much and setting up a pop up Friday after working a 60 hour week was getting to be too much.

We had planed on something smaller but we wanted a fridge that would hold more then a six pack and a bed we didn't have to crawl over each other

At the rv show we saw a 25bh that was nice but we didn't need a bunk house it was actually a lot larger then what we had thought about
We didn't care for the sales reps from the dealership at the rv show. We wanted to look againg on sunday but didn't want to fo back to the show. The wife found a dealership about 2 hours away that was open and had the 25rb in Stock as well as the bh so we could look at both. We did decide on the rb but found one that was 5 years old on the lot traded in the fall for a new one and was able to get it for less then half of the brand new one.

Set up I d9nt think is very long at all. Pull in look at the levels put the anderson levelers on the low side pull forward till level zip the jacks down and hook up water and ele when not dry camping
Don't buy stock in Anderson Levelers. Now that TTs have caught up to MHs and 5ers with auto-level systems they will become as popular as a rotary pay phone.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #42

Something lacking it travel trailers is wardrobe space which you would need for longer excursions. I like the Rockwood 2604WS and the Flagstaff 26RLWS. A good size, not to big, not to small, a good match for a F-250. They are identical floorplans, 2 slides, optional recliner chairs, wardrobe slide with plenty storage, 2 exit doors (which I like for safety). Both made in the same plant
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #43

There is just the two of us and we got a 31kqtbs with outside kitchen, extra fridge and grill attached, Love the added comfort of having a kitchen set up outside with a sink. In the back bunkroom, we took the top bunk mattress out that was over the cabinets and use it for storage, added a roll down outdoor screen over it to secure items during travel and looks great, took out board for other bunk over the couch which we upgraded and now have a great extra seating area and lots of storage - using the two tall cabinets to store chairs in one and a broom closet out of the other - the added storage is a blessing even though just the two of us. A bunkroom doesn't have to be just for kiddos and the extra space is great, plus the outside kitchen we love.
mchayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #44

Love to hear what people like and dislike
Thanks to all for input
Bamalamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #45

Concerning storage tanks for 3 days dry camping: I think you would be all right. How much fresh water you need will depend on if you want 2 showers every day. We carried cases of drinking water with us, stocked in the refrigerator and freezer, and took showers in the campground bath house. For our 10 night stay in MN, we filled our fresh water tank and emptied our black and grey tanks when we first arrived. We did put additional water in the fresh (about 15 gallons). We emptied the black and grey tanks on the way out of the park to go home. I like the 2109s floor plan because everything in the camper is accessible with the slide closed. We added hooks over both sides of the bathroom door to hang clothes on. Other than that it had enough room for our clothes. You can tell we love ours!
cuselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #46

Very good info thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #47

Most of the TT's will have slide-outs and they are great for increasing your living space. However, before you buy take a close look at the TT with the slides IN. Before we bought, we rented one and had access to the dinette and refrigerator with the slides in. We ended up going with a different model and model and didn't look at it with the slides in. On the one we have now, we don't have access to the free-standing dinette or the refrigerator when stopping at rest areas for lunch, etc. unless we put the slides out. Also check access to the bathroom when in "travel mode".
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #48

Modifications to new travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamalamb View Post
New to forum.Plan on retiring next year and do a lot of traveling will be mostly me and wife. Have dreams of traveling for months at a time. I am thinking of travel trailer less than 25ft.
Easy to tow,set up and plan on doing some dry camping
Need advice
My wife and I have traveled cross country a few times and these are the issues we have had. Wheels and tires too light. We tow a 30 toyhauler rated for 11,000 lbs. GVW. The wheels were rated at 10,000 @ 2500 each. We broke five wheels within the first year. FR covered the cost to replace. We up sized to a 16 inch wheel 8 lug. 10 ply tire. Wheels rated at 3500 lbs. each giving us 14,000 lbs. GVW. Haven't had any problems since. We replace bench seats with two recliners and small tables. Much more flexible and comfortable. Look for medium sized slides. Every slide can add 1000 lbs so be aware of weight. One slide at dining area is nice to give more room in kitchen living area. Walk around queen bed is nice. Don't have to clime over each other to get out of bed. Have fun and enjoy traveling.
Earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #49

heated tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamalamb View Post
Was wondering if I would need heated tanks
I would look at a four season TT and/or insulated underbelly. In cold weather we don't hook up hoses. Use on on board water. no freezing issues.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #50

Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlybird View Post
My wife and I have traveled cross country a few times and these are the issues we have had. Wheels and tires too light. We tow a 30 toyhauler rated for 11,000 lbs. GVW. The wheels were rated at 10,000 @ 2500 each. We broke five wheels within the first year. FR covered the cost to replace. We up sized to a 16 inch wheel 8 lug. 10 ply tire. Wheels rated at 3500 lbs. each giving us 14,000 lbs. GVW. Haven't had any problems since. We replace bench seats with two recliners and small tables. Much more flexible and comfortable. Look for medium sized slides. Every slide can add 1000 lbs so be aware of weight. One slide at dining area is nice to give more room in kitchen living area. Walk around queen bed is nice. Don't have to clime over each other to get out of bed. Have fun and enjoy traveling.
Use tire minders to keep you aware of tire pressure while traveling.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #51

Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlybird View Post
I would look at a four season TT and/or insulated underbelly. In cold weather we don't hook up hoses. Use on on board water. no freezing issues.
The OP lives in Alabama.
So unless they are doing winter camping, don't think they'll need a 4 season camper.

Plus very few manufacturers make true 4 season campers
FR doesn't make any, except the Ice Cabin trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP lives in Alabama.
So unless they are doing winter camping, don't think they'll need a 4 season camper.

Sadly, FR does just what you say. One important reason I went to Montana this time. My Cougar was well insulated and stayed warm in the 20s ~ the Montana is better insulated for full times, heated tanks, heated under belly, heated tank valves, furnace, fire place and heat pump. I never ever plan to need more than the FP or heat pump but was caught in a norther FL cold snap once...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #54
NH Maple Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP lives in Alabama.

The OP is planning a trip to Alaska and depending on what time of year they are there they could very well need a well insulated camper.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer