Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
Site Team

Our security is that we have a deck in front of it, a concrete barrier that probably weighs a few thousand pounds behind it as well as a 10' x 10' shed about 5 feet in front of the kingpin. It's definitely not going anywhere.

Now stopping someone from breaking into it is another story. But that's what the insurance is for. There's nothing that's super valuable or irreplaceable in it anyway.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #22

I worry about the things I can control those I can’t control I don’t worry about. You can’t stop a determinant thief.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #23

Small price for a little piece of mind and less likely to contribute to insurance premium increases . . . https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2...11&tag=mh0b-20
Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by llevesque View Post
Small price for a little piece of mind and less likely to contribute to insurance premium increases . . . https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2...11&tag=mh0b-20
That is the one I use mainly at campgrounds as you never know. this was because one trip I went from camp site seeing and got back only to find a truck backed up to mine and hitched. He mistook it for his trailer and was in the process of getting a locksmith to open the door His trailer was in a different loop even was a different brand maybe he wanted a newer unit? He did apologize and we got to talking and he lives in the same town. Now I'm glad he don't know exactly where I live and my trailer is not visible from the road.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Insure adequately and relax. As someone who suffered thru a vehicle theft, I find that you simply cannot prevent someone from taking your stuff if they really want it.

All you can do is decide how much you are willing to pay (in locks, security systems, etc) to make them work for it.

Tim

Very true. Most thefts are crimes of opportunity. About all one can do is try to make theft more difficult by locking what you can and maybe put some noisy obstacles in the way of hooking up to a 5-er and just towing it away. A stack of empty metal paint cans can make enough noise to scare a thief away if you have close neighbors.

If the unit is parked on a remote piece of property about all you can do is take the wheels off. As for breaking in, a really loud alarm can often help. Not just a small car/rv alarm type but an electronic Police/Fire/Ambulance siren wired to door and window switches.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #26

I have a kin pin lock, 12 gauge shotgun and a vicious dog, have not had an issues with theft yet
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I dont think you can cut the hydraulic ram legs in in less than 30 seconds has there are 4 of them, and if you did the camper would fall on its nose. And I think I asked in the original post, what are people using for 5ers not tt
So other than the hydraulic legs being down, you asked what people were doing. A thief that wants your 5r is going to get it. They would know how to lift the legs just like you do. The cable through the wheel would work for a 5 just like a TT. You are trying to make it inconvenient for the thief. I didn't try to cop an attitude. I guess 5r's are special and are more likely to get their stuff stolen.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
That is the one I use mainly at campgrounds as you never know. this was because one trip I went from camp site seeing and got back only to find a truck backed up to mine and hitched. He mistook it for his trailer and was in the process of getting a locksmith to open the door His trailer was in a different loop even was a different brand maybe he wanted a newer unit? He did apologize and we got to talking and he lives in the same town. Now I'm glad he don't know exactly where I live and my trailer is not visible from the road.

Different people do different stuff but if I was to come back to the campsite and find someone hitched to my camper the first people I would call is the police. They could explain it all to the cops.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I didn't try to cop an attitude. I guess 5r's are special and are more likely to get their stuff stolen.
Well, yeah ya did a little. Chill out, he did ask about a fiver. You did offer some decent advice before the angle grinder vs fifth wheel security devices comment.

No need to get butt hurt and play the TT vs fiver attitude card
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
Just as confused as you

Though they connect to the tow vehicle in different ways 5th wheels are travel trailers. If you do a search for travel trailer images you will see pictures of everything from popups to bumper pulls to 5th wheels. Even truck campers show up.

Chill out people.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Though they connect to the tow vehicle in different ways 5th wheels are travel trailers. If you do a search for travel trailer images you will see pictures of everything from popups to bumper pulls to 5th wheels. Even truck campers show up.

Chill out people.
I don't think anybody is arguing any of those points. The OP asked about a fifth wheel specifically, which has different hitch locking mechanisms available. King pin vs ball hitch. No sweat...(chilling).
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #32

I dont think the OP knows what he is talking about. Haha , but I think I will chill out and just hope this thread doesn't get out of control. Besides I already have my answer, all I need is a angle grinder. ))))
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #33

I pray every day for someone to steal my piece of crap OH I mean rv
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwiz View Post
I pray every day for someone to steal my piece of crap OH I mean rv
You need to get ahold of the guy with the angle grinder, he probably has a torch that will take care of it. And can do it within 30 seconds
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I take my Sidewinder apart once a year to clean and grease the bearing plates. Then re- torque to specs. My 120lb wife can turn the hitch by hand. Not easily, but she gets it done.

The revolution is built slightly different having a castellated nut at the bottom of the spindle/turret instead of four bolts and a cap plate at the top of the turret like a sidewinder. But most of the revolutions I have seen you can turn by hand, some not.

I believe they will all turn by hand with proper maint.
I think I need to remove my hitch and check it for grease
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #36

5th wheel lock

Just a further tip.
If you are using a kingpin lock, to prevent getting your lock all greasy, take a plastic grocery bag and place the lock inside. Then push onto the kingpin and lock as normal.
The bag fits between the lock and the kingpin keeping the grease off your lock.
Kennerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 AM   #37
Erinn

Your 10' snow drift trumps our 5' one, directly outside our shop (still can only get hubby's 4WD truck out)!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #38
Erinn

Now THAT was funny!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 AM   #39
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I worry about the things I can control those I can’t control I don’t worry about. You can’t stop a determinant thief.

Kingpin Lock - and insurance. A great combination.

And, I've always heard - you just have to make yours a little bit harder to steal than the next one down the road.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #40

Tractor trailer king pin lock. It's big, bulky, expensive and heavy but can't be cut quickly, Would take at least a half hour with a quick cut. It completely encloses the king pin area. Unfortunately I don't have a picture on hand.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...0&vt=0&eim=1,6
Dee004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer