Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #1

Transition from tenting to rving

I have been an avid camper most of my life. We have recently purchased a 5th wheel and we are REALLY excited. I have booked a full service site for our first outing just so I can do a full hookup to familiarize (play around with) everything. What I enjoy about camping is the serenity. With the rv it seems like things are pretty much urban. What I mean is that there is your rv, a few trees and the next rv and so on. I know that rv'ers are a very friendly bunch but I'm just wondering if the serenity will be lost? We're from Manitoba and most of our rving will be done in provincial parks.
We are going from a tent to heat and a/c, 2 stoves, 2 fridges, 2 microwaves, 2 tv's. Um.....this part wouldn't be too hard to take! (Happy dance)
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
LarryO, We spend 90% of our time at Provincial Parks. Only electricity but with prudent water use can get 3 days out of water and a week out of black tank maybe 4 days out of shower tank. I carry 200 ft of hose to refill when needed.I also have a waste hauler tank and a generator too!

We have camps with secluded sites, lots of trees and with the waves hitting the rocks serenity. We head up to our favourite park this weekend for 4 days.

You can camp in wilderness at the provincial parks and have the best of all worlds!!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

I believe that all we would want is power and I can see a generator in the future. Good tip on the 200 ft of hose. Thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #4

We also made the leap from tenting to rving but only went to a popup. So far love it. Have a roof over our head and we're up off the ground so that's enough for now. We do most of our camping in PA and Maryland state parks and find them to be very quiet with sites a good distance apart. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I believe that all we would want is power and I can see a generator in the future. Good tip on the 200 ft of hose. Thanks
First off, welcome to the forums and the RV lifestyle from Huntsville, AL!

Yamaha and Honda both make a very nice generator setup: you buy 2 generators and operate them in tandem when you need to run the A/C, or only run 1 when power needs are more modest. The reason for 2 is they are easier to lug around than a big ol 5.5KW one
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

I spent from my teen years till my early twenties tent camping! Hiking to a spot out in the middle of the woods and setting up a tent. However, I started camping with friends and family at campgrounds and started traveling while camping and one trip while tent camping on the beach I decided that a place to get out of the elements would be nice. So I made the switch to a Motorhome when I was 23. I loved it, I had the freedom to dry camp anywhere because of the generator, and it had huge holding tanks. I stopped dry camping a few years ago and last year I decided that all the headaches that go with an older motorhome weren't worth the one time a year that I dry camped so I switched to a camper. I couldn't be happier!

You wont regret it, it's a fun switch. I know as a tent camper you look at rv'ing as not camping, but in reality were all there doing the same thing, except at night we have more luxury !
Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

I still get out there and use a tent. It makes you appreciate the bed in the RV!
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
To Add;

Walmart for RV Hose, $12 CDN for 50 ft on sale often! Big reason for a generator was in case of a power failure and need for CPAP machines. Also want to find some Walmart's to camp at someday for fun!

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum. We went from tent camping to RV camping gradually. First a hybrid which was great - still felt like tent camping but had all the luxuries. This year we have a new tt. Think we're going to like the easy set up. Camping in Provincial parks is great. Beautiful sites & scenery. Would like to try out a few State Parks some day. How are the Provincial Parks in Manitoba? Going west might be a nice option too. Any recommendations?
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #10

Hello larryo,
In our younger days, when our kids were younger we were avid boundary waters canoe area campers. We took 7,10 and 14 day trips, canoeing into the BWCA. Many years we took 2 trips a summer. We made it a point to get back into the lakes that were remote and mostly people free. No cell phones, etc. Great fishing, great wildlife and beautiful serenity. But, now that we are (only a bit) older the sleeping on the ground days were traded in for a 5th wheel RV. We still seek out places that are as remote as possible that still can accommodate RV's. There are many campgrounds that have larger, remote, wooded sites where the next Rv is not on top of you. We were unsure about the transition at first too, but have found that it is a totally new way to experience camping and the great outdoors. If urban RV camping is your thing you can find plenty of that too. We haven't regretted switching yet. Get out there and have fun with family and friends.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 AM   #11

Just made the leap from the tent to a Trailer also. No more pitching tents or taking them down in the pouring rain. Not to mention sleeping on a real mattress. Our maiden voyage will be this weekend to a local state park. No hookups, but at least we'll be out there. Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #12

Hey Maris. 90% of my camping was remote so rving is out of the question. Tulibee Falls campground is beautiful, not full service but they have electricity. And actually, Birds Hill provincial park has some heavily treed sites, full service and only 1/2 hr from Winnipeg.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #13

One option is to remove the tv from your rig. That will keep you focused on the outdoors and the serenity that comes with that.
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #14

We went from a 14x14 tent to a 35' TT. With nieces and nephews camping with us, it makes it much easier. I still cook outside and spend 90% of my time outside.

Having your own Bathroom and shower make it so much better. All the state parks I go to are really clean, its just more convenient

2003 Dodge Ram QC 2500 4x4
2005 Nissan Altima
2011 Forest River Lacrosse 301RLS
jmcrae3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #15

Loumichelle735, since you mentioned PA State Parks have you ever been to Locust Lake? We heard great things about it and seen some beautiful pics. We're have a reservation for June 12th. Cant wait........

Dutchmen
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #16

Dutchmen

Sorry I'm just seeing this now. Guess we cover edit on your other post? Enjoy Locust Lake. I've looked at it but never been there. Our next state park outing is to Kettle Creek. We have a sore right along the creek. Can't wait! Safe travels.

2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumichelle735 View Post
We also made the leap from tenting to rving but only went to a popup. So far love it. Have a roof over our head and we're up off the ground so that's enough for now. We do most of our camping in PA and Maryland state parks and find them to be very quiet with sites a good distance apart. Good luck.

We live in NY and got our first TT last year. Which parks do you go to in NJ and PA?

2014 Wildwood x-lite 185br
towed by 2013 Ram 1500
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #18

I am usually not bothered by any other campers. Frequently there is only one or two RV's within several miles of me.

There is a reason these things are called self contained.

I grew up tent camping and backpacking. I bought my first RV at age 50. According to my mother I started tent camping at age 6 months. I really don't recall my first trip.

Dad always looked for a flat spot near a creek. We got our water from the creek.

By the time I was 10 my mother developed a fondness for campgrounds that had water spigots scattered around every few hundred feet. She also liked having a store where she could buy us kids an ice cream or a Popsicle one in a while.

We will be taking a trip in the MH for about 5 weeks in mid July to go from Yosemite to Nashville. We will be staying in RV parks along the way, usually for a single night.

Since 2005 this will be the third time I have had any hookups.

The number of people camping near you is inversely proportional to the number of amenities available.

I still like backpacking the best, but DW has had both knees replaced and can no longer walk very far. The MH is for her.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote