Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Transmission Coolers?

Hi all,

Was just wondering about a transmission cooler. They are touted to prolong the life of your transmission and improve its overall performance. Any thoughts or personal experiences with them?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most, if not all vehicles with an automatic transmission have a cooler as standard equipment. If you are working your transmission hard as in pulling a trailer, then an axillary transmission cooler is probably needed. Many vehicles that come from the factory with a tow package will already have the auxiliary cooler installed. If a vehicle does not have 1 of these and is pulling a trailer, then yes, it is a needed add-on.

What are you towing with ?? It might already have an auxiliary tranny cooler.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

Thanks mtnguy, so you know how I can find out if my TV has an auxiliary cooler installed?

2004 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3L
Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
There is 3 ways.

1. Check to see if two copper(i believe copper) lines run from tranny to radiator.
2. Call your local GM dealership with VIN number handy. They should be able to look it up.
3. Check by radiator. It will appear a second radiator smaller in size is there.( Not ALWAYS mounted there)

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
There is 3 ways.

1. Check to see if two copper(i believe copper) lines run from tranny to radiator.
2. Call your local GM dealership with VIN number handy. They should be able to look it up.
3. Check by radiator. It will appear a second radiator smaller in size is there.( Not ALWAYS mounted there)
1. The lines running to and from the radiator are for the standard transmission cooler, not an auxiliary cooler.

2. Good idea.

3. Yes, you should be able to find a separate cooler somewhere nearby. Mine is mounted in front of and below the radiator....right behind the grill.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
so mtnguy , the aux tranny cooler is for even more tranny cooling power? Cause I noticied a small like radiator in front of my engine coolent radiator is not considered a aux cooler or standard tranny cooler?

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
so mtnguy , the aux tranny cooler is for even more tranny cooling power? Cause I noticied a small like radiator in front of my engine coolent radiator is not considered a aux cooler or standard tranny cooler?
scubieman, trace the lines to that cooler that you are looking at. If 1 line goes to the transmission, and the other to what looks like your radiator, then that is probably an auxiliary transmission cooler. Beware, that you may be looking at your AC condenser....but of course those lines will run to your AC system instead.

On my truck, the AC condenser is the same size and directly in front of the radiator. My auxiliary transmission cooler is much smaller and mounted several inches in front of th AC condenser.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #8

Thanks guys, good information!