Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Transporting R-pod to Alaska

My wife and I are getting a new R177 in May. We are looking for a way to get it to Alaska or Yukon in mid to late June. We are already committed on towing a boat up so would need to ship or find someone to tow for us. We wouild be willing to help pay for gas if anyone has a trip planned. We could deliver the unit in CA, OR or WA.

Any suggestions on economical shipping or third party help?

zyzzxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
That's interesting. I wish you all the best on your trip.

Try and Google "RV transport companies". There are quite a few out there who hire out their owner-operators.

Here's an RV transport article I read awhile ago and saved just because I thought it was interesting.

You could also post under the classified section here or under the workamping forum at for a driver.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
You might get your local dealer to put you in contact with the delivery person. They gaet around a dollar a mile, (I asked when one dropped a trailer off one day). They are independent, own their trucks, one ton usually, have their own insurance............ and they live on the road towing trailers, usually to dealerships, but talk with the right one, and who knows.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
"They get around a dollar a mile"
It is a lot of miles to Alaska.
Might be cheaper to put it on a semi as part of a bigger load?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
I have family in Fairbanks, AK. and when I go up to visit in order to go from one side of town to the other you must pass their huge train yard. Very often I see travel trailers or motor homes sitting on rail flat cars. The story I have been told is that people ship them up from "Outside" (as Alaskans call the continental U.S.) so they can use them in Alaska. And I see it go the other way, units waiting to be loaded onto the train for their trip out. I believe the Port of Entry (POE) is Seward, AK. and then train travel into Fairbanks. I also see trucks coming into Fairbanks with all types of odd freight on them. So I would say that the feasibility of having your TT shipped into Alaska is available.
Thurman is online now   Reply With Quote