Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Trash -- How Do You Do It?

How do you manage your trash while you are camping?

We have a trash can under our kitchen sink and we keep a collapsible 30 gallon trash can with large bag under our curbside slide out. When the kitchen trash gets full, we put it in the outside trash can. All trash from outside and meals goes into the outside trash can. We only take the outside trash bag to the dumpster when it is full or if it is foul smelling.

How do you do it?

Bruce
Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
WFD

Trashcan in trailer..when full...walk it out to dumpster and dump...end of story. Why accumulate trash outside? Many parks frown upon that since it attracts wildlife, some parks, big wildlife as in bears, and rodents to your site...don't hang on to any garbage.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Trash can outside. Use Walmart bagels for small trash inside. We are outside most of time so trash is generated outdoors.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Bears.
No garbage, dirty dishes, food, outside. These are common where we camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448378728.079287.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	94923

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Trashcan in trailer..when full...walk it out to dumpster and dump...end of story. Why accumulate trash outside? Many parks frown upon that since it attracts wildlife, some parks, big wildlife as in bears, and rodents to your site...don't hang on to any garbage.
X2. Food in outside can will attract squirrels, raccoons and larger game in some areas. We use can under sink and follow park policy for trash disposal
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

We have a trash can under our kitchen sink and we keep a collapsible 30 gallon trash can with large bag under our curbside slide out. When the kitchen trash gets full, we put it in the outside trash can. All trash from outside and meals goes into the outside trash can. We only take the outside trash bag to the dumpster when it is full or if it is foul smelling.

How do you do it?

Bruce

We do it the same way as WFD.

I don't know where you camp but, accumulating trash outside is an open invitation for bears, raccoons, and even skunks. All three have an outstanding sense of smell.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Small hinged lid trash can in camper. Recyclables: cardboard kept in back of truck; separate lidded container kept outside camper for bottles/cans. Trash taken to dump station whenever we pass that way regardless of how empty or full the containers are.

Each NYS park seems to operate a little differently. 2 of the parks we like to stay at actually come around and pick up the trash right at your site.

Our favorite park has an active bear population and we are especially diligent with trash when camping there.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #8

I use one those holders for super market bags and use the bags. Either when full(every morning) walk to dumpster or at some CG's I go to, place out front and they pick up. Don't hang onto trash any longer than when I dump Coffee grounds.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #9

Sorry if this comment is off topic but I must give Forest River a huge kudo for solving of one of my "age old problems", trash in RV's. I've been trying find an easy solution to this problem for almost 40 years!

On our new Sunseeker, there is a cutout on the top of the kitchen counter behind the sink. Open the cutout door, and voila, a trash container buried inside the RV! And, not just some small, skimpy trash container, but a full size, 13 gallon container. Just open the cutout and drop your trash into the container.

To empty the trash, from the OUTSIDE of the coach, you open a bin door and there is the trash container right in front of you, in its own storage bay. Remove the container, take the bag out, put a new bag in, replace the bin in the compartment, and you are finished.

Now, to solve my next problem....getting the trash bag to the campground's trash containers without spilling my beer!

Kudos to Forest River engineers and designers on this one!!
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

In campgrounds we use wally mart valises, etc. for garbage and when full, walk it to the campground garbage bins. When boondocking, all cans go into a large garbage bag and brought home for recycling. All burnables are burned in the campfire after it might be used for cooking over. Most food leftovers are burned also including bones. The fires do burn up everything. No smell either unless somebody left a piece of plastic in their garbage to burn. We have a large bag for stuff that we can't burn and it goes home with us to be put out on garbage day.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
X2. Food in outside can will attract squirrels, raccoons and larger game in some areas. We use can under sink and follow park policy for trash disposal
X3

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
Sorry if this comment is off topic but I must give Forest River a huge kudo for solving of one of my "age old problems", trash in RV's. I've been trying find an easy solution to this problem for almost 40 years!

On our new Sunseeker, there is a cutout on the top of the kitchen counter behind the sink. Open the cutout door, and voila, a trash container buried inside the RV! And, not just some small, skimpy trash container, but a full size, 13 gallon container. Just open the cutout and drop your trash into the container.

To empty the trash, from the OUTSIDE of the coach, you open a bin door and there is the trash container right in front of you, in its own storage bay. Remove the container, take the bag out, put a new bag in, replace the bin in the compartment, and you are finished.

Now, to solve my next problem....getting the trash bag to the campground's trash containers without spilling my beer!

Kudos to Forest River engineers and designers on this one!!
We have the same thing in our Forester, nice idea, it's also handy for storing counter top stuff enroute.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #13

our seasonal has no garbage refuse point at all.
when we travel back home or to town for work we take the small amount we have saved up with us.

some people still seem to think its ok to store some at the back of their lots but last summer a black bear and several skunks fixed that
Old 11-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

Lol....trash talkin" today, eh?
We use a compact stainless steel step trash can, placed in the kitchen area on the floor below the pantry in a space left vacant when the kitchen slide is out. Looks nice, convenient, out of the way. It has an inner liner bucket which can be easily rinsed out. We place it in the shower when in transit. Didn't want to use "real estate" under the sink--prefer to use that space for coffee maker, nesting pots & pans, dish pan & soaps, etc. With our 2 big dogs, this type of container works really well: our food hounds can't raid the trash can! The small size is an advantage as it prompts us to empty it daily, so less chance of problems with flies and ants (and odors)
Gene and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #15

The countertop cutout for garbage is so simple but is the best innovative ideas I've seen in a long time!
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

How do you do it?

Bruce
In our Sunseeker 2500TS there is a trash slot in the kitchen counter. It was originally designed to take a large container. However, I put a shelf in the space and cut the container in half. It fills in about 2-3 days when camping. When near full we take it to the designated trash bin.
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #17

Yes, a great idea.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #18

We have a waste basket inside (kitchen and bathroom) and when full, we dump them into a collapsible garbage can outside the trailer. I put the collapsible can in the box of the truck each night ( I have a cap) and if the collapsible is foul smelling, I'll take it to the dumpster rather than put it in the truck.

AND....burn what ever you can.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Please, please, please do not collect your trash outside for all the reasons given before. Dump the trash that collects in the RV into a dumpster right away. Thank you!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #20

We collect our trash in a tall kitchen bag under the sink. When it's full, we take it outside and dump it on our fellow campers site when they're gone or not looking, preferably at night. You'd be surprised how much money we've saved on bags and needless trips to the dumpster. This last year we've only used two bags all season. Besides, I've always heard that garbage is good for the soil.

just kidding - we do use the dumpster when the bag is full.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote