Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
This is the type of situation where this payed off
Attachment 114923
Yeah ill probably be investing in a ProPride lol....but to be honest I got sucked in as one whole unit so hard I'm not sure that would have saved me.

rather_b_camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl14 View Post
Holy! Fortunately, everyone was ok. Had to have been a scary feeling being pulled into an 18 wheeler like that. You're very lucky that you were able to make it to where you were going.
For sure, couldn't believe all I needed was a tire change to get back on the road!

Old 07-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #23

Wow, it must of happened really fast if you could not drop an f bomb. I am just happy to hear that all is well. Stuff can be replaced, you and your family not so much.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #24

I know the feeling. Just last month almost the same happened to us. A huge road construction dump-truck entered the hwy just in front of me. He was going slow so I caught up quickly and decided to pass him. Big mistake. He sped up quickly and suddenly I felt that pull/push and before I knew it, the trailer was swinging . I ended up on the shoulder, went down an embankment then started to get control and got back up and stopped on the shoulder. After I stopped shaking I got out and check for damage. The only thing I found was the steps were mashed. I figured the flew open and hit something. We continued to the campground for the week. Everything seemed OK except for almost everything flew out of the closets and the bathroom door had a hole. I took it to the dealer on the way home so they can replace the step. He took one look and said that there was a lot more damage. In fact it was totaled, the frame was bent. On one of the swings I must have hit the truck. I guess he didn't even feel my little fly of a TT hit him, he never slowed down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT steps.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	114950   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160624_134849.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	114951  
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

Glad you all survived. What kind of WD do you use? You do not have a slouch of a truck by any means. I do not even get a shimmy any more once I moved over to the HD trucks.

Good reason to keep your head on a swivel. Its easy to get into that highway zombie mode when you have nothing but highway around you. I always try to constantly look into each mirror and forward every few just to keep aware of my surroundings.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
This is the type of situation where this payed off
Attachment 114923
you still get sucked in if to close, but it's smooth. The TT doesn't get upset. Most the time trucks pass without even noticing, oddly enough I know when I'm being passed by a mini van!?! I suck into every time.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 10 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #27

About 1-1/2 years ago I started using a video dash camera any time we are towing, and most of the time around town also. I sometimes think the circus must be in town, as the clowns are out running loose in cars. With a dash camera, even pointed forward, you can show that you were in your lane driving correctly and safely when you were struck. Some of them with GPS will show speed and location also, but mine does not. I figure some smart lawyer guy can figure out how fast I was going by counting road stripes and timing them if needed. It will show you didn't drift over into the oncoming truck, but he moved into your lane when passing. Doesn't help your nice truck or beautiful trailer, but maybe helps in getting the responsible person to pay for the repairs!

Just a suggestion for the future.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Glad you all survived. What kind of WD do you use? You do not have a slouch of a truck by any means. I do not even get a shimmy any more once I moved over to the HD trucks.

Good reason to keep your head on a swivel. Its easy to get into that highway zombie mode when you have nothing but highway around you. I always try to constantly look into each mirror and forward every few just to keep aware of my surroundings.
I have a blue ox sway pro....but not after this lol. Trust me, I basically drive in my rear view mirrors so I know when every semi is approaching I'm not taken by surprise, unfortunately just had no time to react quick enough to avoid a collision.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #29

Thankfully everyone ok . I've been pulled and once caused sway I never thought I'd get out of. That memory is why I went to a 5er and F350. Certainly under stab everyone being shook up. Your estimate of his speed may be low.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_camping View Post
I have a blue ox sway pro....but not after this lol. Trust me, I basically drive in my rear view mirrors so I know when every semi is approaching I'm not taken by surprise, unfortunately just had no time to react quick enough to avoid a collision.
Since it sucked both the truck and the trailer into the semi, perhaps your Sway Pro did a pretty good job for you based on the circumstances!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer