Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #31

Glad to hear everyone is OK. As you can see by the attached photo, we had more problems than you did. We had a semi pass us on a nopassing bridge 18' wide. I was going 63 he had to be going 75+. Our truck & trailer didn't fair too well, but at least we survived, bought another truck & trailer and we are still camping.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #32

tomrob, no photo attached sir

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #33

Glad all made it out without physical injury. The memory will last forever however. DW and I got back two weeks ago from a 2400 mile trip thru Colorado and Utah. Only had one "pucker moment" due to a strong crosswind on I70 close to the Moab exit. Stay safe...
TV=1997 F250 Powerstroke
manual tranny/commercial 19.5 tires / Rickson Wheels
Edge CTS Tuner/K&N Cold Air/4 inch exhaust
patrickwstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #34

I don`t see where a pro-pride would of saved you . Because you said it sucked you in truck and trailer together. The pro-pride does make the truck and trailer more like one unit there for it would still suck you over as one unit. If it was a sway issue with the blue ox , then the pro -pride would be a different story. Blue ox to me is like a weight distribution hitch with no sway control . I can tell you first hand that them hitches will let a semi suck you over to them when passing and blow you over on the shoulder when their trailer back end is past you . To me that's what sounds like happened to you. I call it the suck and blow effect.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Travel trailer

I use to tow a travel trailer, got rid of it for the very same reason and went to a fifth wheel.

When I towed the TT and arrived at my destination, as I would get out of the truck, you could see where I gripped the steering wheel and the leather seat had a huge pucker where I sat.
BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I use to tow a travel trailer, got rid of it for the very same reason and went to a fifth wheel.

When I towed the TT and arrived at my destination, as I would get out of the truck, you could see where I gripped the steering wheel and the leather seat had a huge pucker where I sat.
Once I started towing a TT with the Equalozer 4 point with sway the pucker factor went away. Still have it in my garage and should sell it. When we started going farther and staying longer we went to the 5er.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #37

Glad everyone is OK. I was always terrified of something like this happening when we used to pull our TT along the Columbia River Gorge in the wind every year. Stuff of nightmares for sure.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post

You just didn`t have enough sway control. Just a weight dist hitch will let the semis and most straight truck suck you over and blow you back out. Made too trips to Canada that way. Watch my mirror for a semi to pass . When he got up near me I`d steer toward the shoulder and as soon as his trailer was just past me I`d steer toward the center line. Then a older gentleman told me about reese dual cams . Sold me a complete set for 50 bucks. After installing them you could drive with one hand while semi`s passed me. What a difference between the too. I think the OP doesn`t have enough sway control with the blue ox.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #39

I am glad you are all safe! What were the wind conditions? There is that factor of wind, and yes it will suck you in! I have had this happen as i have driving with ahhhhh my 18 wheeler even! I hope that the driver was courteous to you and not a ass!
Old 07-24-2016, 12:38 AM   #40

Trying again to attach the picture of our accident. I'm glad you folks were safe. We can always replace trucks and trailers. We survived our encounter with an 18 wheeler when he passed us on a no passing bridge, 18' wide. We have replaced the truck and trailer and are still enjoying camping.

Tom & Robbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Normans accident.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	115052  

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer