Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

Travel Trailer Tags

Has anyone on here been stopped for not having their tag displayed on their TT? I had my tag all last year but my bracket was broke so I never had it displayed and cops passed by me many times in all our trips last year. Anyone have any experience being stopped?
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoe61 View Post
Has anyone on here been stopped for not having their tag displayed on their TT? I had my tag all last year but my bracket was broke so I never had it displayed and cops passed by me many times in all our trips last year. Anyone have any experience being stopped?
Yes... sort of.

Back before PA stopped issuing date stickers, I was stopped for not having the current sticker on the tag. I did (fortunately) have it in the glove box. (intending to install it before the trip but forgot)

In PA our trailers are subject to a yearly state mandated inspection which gets a sticker. Police check that too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

They might think you are a transporter and didn't stop you to check.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

I know some people that only have one "valid" trailer plate. It gets moved from boat trailer, utility trailer, to travel trailer, depending on which one is on the road at any given time.

Trailer plates are pretty anonymous when traveling down the highway.

What I find interesting is the Semi's. Only visible plate is on the back trailer and the owner of the trailer can be many times removed from the driver of the tractor. The plate mounted at the rear of the tractor's frame is rarely visible much less readable.

I don't think people are stopped on the basis of a plate as much as things they do while driving. Wandering in the lane, tailgating, too slow, too fast, burned out lights at night. Expired or improper plates are often just an add-on charge when tickets are written.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

When pulling a semi trailer the current registration and safety inspection information is located in the "kingbox"on the front of the trailer. When the driver pulls into a scale it has to be up to date if inspected. Many trailers are leased to multiple carriers but the registration info stays on the trailer at all times.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
D W

In my state you must display plates (tags) per statutes. The municipal PD's will write you a ticket for "Failure To Display", even if it is valid, but not affixed. The Troopers on the other hand will cut you some slack. If your tag is valid and not displayed they will make you install it on the spot, or write you a "fix-it" ticket, and you'll have 72 hours to get it fixed, but once fixed you have to take it to a Patrol Trooper and have it signed off as fixed. If you don't do this you will get a ticket in the mail. If your registration isn't current it's going to be towed and impounded.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
Multi-Slacker

Like 5Picker, we were stopped, in our motorhome, for not having a current date sticker. Since the CHP usually has better things to do, I imagine that we triggered some suspicion or other. Since we had the correct date sticker attached to the registration slip, there was no problem, especially when they saw a couple of old people sitting there, who were pol.lite and cooperative.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

I run permanat plates on my trailer. Always have it mounted. I have been pulled over for not having a plate on the back of my truck. In Missouri once you go over 18k lbs you only get a front plate. Took an hour to sort it out with the trooper ( I was out of state). Now I carry copies of the state laws with my registration.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #9

1It will depend where you are, and the trooper / police officer. I would not try it here the county needs the revenue..... .

Not a trailer but son was stopped for no front tag on a car and only for the front tag. I keep tags displayed on my trailers except............

Was pulled for an outdated sticker on a trailer I assume that counts. Forgot to put it on.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Guess I don't understand the question or topic.

If you don't have a license plate or a current sticker on your towable and are on public roads, you should expect to get pulled over no matter where you are.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

If you don't have a license plate or a current sticker on your towable and are on public roads, you should expect to get pulled over no matter where you are.
Indeed. But there are folks out there that believe that those requirements don't apply to them.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoe61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Scott... I didn't take the OP's question(s) as pertaining to the 'legality' of the situation but rather they found it odd they did not get stopped because of it.

I think the question(s) were posed to compare whether anyone had got stopped for a license plate issue of any kind, since they had not.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #13

I actually posed the question because my wife has been all over me to go get a new bracket and install it before I get a ticket. I told her I would pose the question to others first because I'm lazy. I can now see the error of my ways but I refuse to admit it to her.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #14

I got rid of the cheap plastic one and used metal instead.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #15

there are probably 1/3 less police officers on the road today then 20 years ago. Government is broke and stretched to the max. My thought would be if you have a shiny new truck and trailer and the truck is legal the trailer probably is also and they are ignoring you because they don't want to make more work for themselves. If you do get stopped its because you found the on cop that is pissed you are to lazy to put it on and your probably getting a ticket for wasting his time.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I got rid of the cheap plastic one and used metal instead.
Yes that cheap 50 cent bracket they gave me lasted all of 10 min.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer