Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Smile Travel trailer to Fifth Wheel

We’ve had our Rockwood Mini 21ft for 3 years. Thinking of going bigger to fifth wheel for easier hitching/turning. Husband wants Class C. If we go fifth wheel we need a bigger truck. Cost for fifth and newer truck will cost same as Class C.
I’m looking for pros and cons for either decision since we’re are at a cross roads.
Thanks!

2015 Toyota Tundra double cab V8 4.6
2012 Rockwood Mini 2109S
sbcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #2

Travel trailer to Fifth Wheel

If class c, is a toad a requirement? (Considerations: additional cost, mpg, etc)

Also assuming we are comparing diesel truck vs gas class c (based on your cost statement). (Considerations: mpg, mountain driving). If short trips the gas class c would work.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

You will hear pro's and con's for both....And will have to ask yourself alot of questions some that come to mind for me that are important are are if I bought a C Class do I need a toad or not and that added expense ?

I guess that would depend on the type of travel you are considering. I would need one if I bought a C Class another important factor for me is being able to store the C class at home if I couldn't have 24/7 access to it that would bother me seems like an awful lot of expense to have an something with an engine in it that I have to pay to store that bothers me a Trailer to me is different plus cost of insurance and registration depending on where you live.

There are a endless reasons people choose one or the other for me at this point in my life it would make more sense for my DW and I (No Kids In The Household) to buy the truck and 5th wheel it just seems to have the most options going for it for me.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Team

We went through this same thing a couple years ago. We went with the 5er and a new gas TV (see sig).

I know you're going to think this is crazy, but one of the major reasons we didn't go with the C was none of the bathrooms we found in the C's worked for me. There's also the whole Toad or unhook and drive it around thing, and I use the truck for other things.

All in all it was a pretty easy decision to go with the 5er.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

Fifth wheel:

+Lower property taxes
+Lower insurance costs
+Less maintenance
Old 07-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Depends what your needs are now and plans are for the future. A nice factor with the c is you can get up and use the bathroom kitchen while traveling. If you have pets they can travel more comfortable. Sure there’s the toad issue. We’ve had tt, 5 th and now loving our A. And our toad new Jeep replaced my daily car. We use the A way more then any of the pull alongs we had. We have to store our rig. Found if it’s stored out of state no property tax gets paid. It’s also less to store it there. Plus I help drive which never happened before
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

We just moved from a tt to 5er.. We thought of a class c but for us ruled it out.

We did like the idea of a smaller car toad which meant a smaller daily driver. But in PA at least, the c would be one more yearly inspection ($75 to 100) and several hundred in registration fees,depends on size. The c would also need its own car insurance. More oil changes.. More maintenance that costs more (engine) since it would sit for long periods during our winter.

Our 5er is 25$ for registration and 25 for inspection. Insurance is from the tow vehicle. I would also have done diesel for the c more. Than likely and that added a significant cost. Been in to many class a's and larger c's that could not get out of their own way.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #8

If you are a full timer, motor home is good. If you are part time a TT is the choice. A motor has to be driven all the time. If it sets up, your asking for problems. I've never owned a motor home, but have had friends with one. God bless them, they weren't mechanical and it seemed like I was always helping them out.
jimla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcamping View Post
Husband wants Class C.
Thanks!
What are your husband's reasons for wanting a Class C?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I would go with the 5er as mentioned less maintenance. Less insurance and tag fees and if it apply s annual taxes. And you don't have to have a toad. I've had them all and now finally down to a tt as I have gotten older stairs now become a problem with the 5er but I sure loved it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

You picked the wrong place to ask that question. You'll be more confused in the end. Go to dealership and look around for yourself. Then you can only blame yourself if you're not happy.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #12

For us health issues made the difference. My knees made the stairs in the fifth wheel difficult and after his heart attack and angioplasties DH often struggled hitching and unhitching the trailer. We love our small moho. We do have a toad but never take it. Either we have an inexpensive rental delivered to us or just drive the moho. It's small and nimble enough to do easily.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #13

The reason I went to a 5er was that I could use the truck for other stuff when not pulling the 5er. Picking up landscape things from HD, wood for woodworking, hauling limbs to the dump, hauling kayaks to the river, bicycles to the trails, golf bags to the course - it is just a man thing - once you have a truck, you never not want to have a truck.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

I have used both. A Class C in noisier to drive because of all the items stored in the drawers/cupboards. It is handy when the passenger wants to use the bathroom while en-route. (While I don't recommend this, a friend'd wife use to make him lunch while he drove down the highway.) It is more expensive to maintain and has a higher depreciation rate than a truck & 5th wheel.

A truck & trailer are often less expensive to purchase new. You can still use the truck as a second vehicle when not traveling. A 5th wheel usually has more space inside. A truck & trailer are longer overall and less maneuverable. (Unless the Class C is pulling a Toad.) You can upgrade the truck or trailer separately as your needs change.

We park our trailer in a campground when we are not traveling and it becomes our weekend getaway. I use our truck as my vehicle (my wife has her car).
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #15

For us there aer several reasons why we prefer a 5er:

Only one set of running gear to purchase, maintain and insure

We sometimes go camping and fishing at the location we set up. We can connect a small boat on a trailer behind the 5er. Launching that boat on a boat ramp would be impossible with a MH.

The truck is my daily driver when not traveling.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #16

Had 2 Class C's (Both smaller). Worked OK, but on my second 5th wheel. We retired and found the space for the buck better in a 5th wheel. Still have the truck, but it is more versatile for other things than the MH. Liked that the wife could use the bathroom while rolling, but the driver still needs to stop. I don't think we'd ever go back to the C's. We spend 2 months in our Fifth wheel.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #17
Coach

We love our 5er. Lots of space, and getting it required us getting the bigger truck I had wanted.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #18

Do you have a use for the pickup other than the 5th wheel? We know we are looking at a 2500 Silverado or F250 in the next truck. I have a use for the truck other than pulling a camper though.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #19
Wait till next year...

Hmmm...see you left the "C" that your husband favors out of the title We have a 28' C. Can't beat the convenience of being completely self contained while on the road,we have stopped at scenic roadside rest areas nuked some left over pizza, had a cold one(ice tea), extended awning and enjoyed the view. We tend to frequent state parks w/o hookups and again being self contained works for us. As for the toad we pull a Jeep Cherokee and its definitely worth every penny we spent on it. We're tourists and explore the areas we're in,thats a lot easier in a fuel efficient car than a pickup.JMHO
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Had 2 Class C's (Both smaller). Worked OK, but on my second 5th wheel. We retired and found the space for the buck better in a 5th wheel. Still have the truck, but it is more versatile for other things than the MH. Liked that the wife could use the bathroom while rolling, but the driver still needs to stop. I don't think we'd ever go back to the C's. We spend 2 months in our Fifth wheel.
We stop for us to use bathroom too but we just pull over on a wide spot and go back into 5er, use it. We flush with water in tank or a bottle in sink for that use if we don't have water in FW holding tank. 10 minutes tops vs at least 30 minutes in a truck stop.

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel