Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
Good post, I'm learning here. Did not think of adding detergent to the tank but why calgon ? Does it prevent water deposits or does it make the chemicals work better ? Thanks Mike
Thanks Vern;

TO BE CLEAR:

The turboflush should be RUN with an open gate for 15 minutes or so AFTER the dump is complete; THEN and only then; close the gate and let the tank fill for a minute or so and open the gate while the turboflush is still running. This will allow any stuck items to "refloat" and be flushed out.

I do this several times until no TP or "solids" are seen.

The Calgon water softener (NOT salt or conditioner!!!) is added to soften the water and allow the detergent to work well even in hard campground water AND it makes the tank walls slippery so future stuff will be less likely to stick around.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #22
MC9

A few years ago I installed a Blue Streak dispenser. For all the reasons stated above, You don't flush full packets of whatever and it lubes and smells fine. Dump whenever.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
Alleged curmudgeon

Do what Lou says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Thanks Vern;

TO BE CLEAR:

The turboflush should be RUN with an open gate for 15 minutes or so AFTER the dump is complete; THEN and only then; close the gate and let the tank fill for a minute or so and open the gate while the turboflush is still running. This will allow any stuck items to "refloat" and be flushed out.

I do this several times until no TP or "solids" are seen.

The Calgon water softener (NOT salt or conditioner!!!) is added to soften the water and allow the detergent to work well even in hard campground water AND it makes the tank walls slippery so future stuff will be less likely to stick around.
until NO "solids" are seen. I've been following this advice from Herk since my TT was new, just as he told me to, and would not change a thing.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Many times when running the turboflusher the water flow will be running nearly clear and then just stop.

Keep it running with the gate open and it will build up enough pressure to blast the clog of TP/solids out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
Hey Chris,
Tnx for the note. The call here is W8PO. Nice hearing from u
And HI to VE3PJF also!!
Don’t overlook the chemicals in the grey tank as well. I kept having to replace leaking flush valves until a RV mechanic told me that chemicals are needed in the grey tank as well. 73’s W6VVV
fasthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #26

I use geomethod in black, and dishwasher tablets in gray and galley.
73s ve3plo
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Just to be clear...I believe Lou (Herk) meant to say 15-30 seconds at a time when using the Turboflush (black tank flush), NOT 15-30 minutes, unless this is a technique I've not heard before. Definitely would not close the dump valve more than 15-30 seconds with the turboflush running.
turboflush 3 to four minutes here
can tell by the sound when it get's above the sprayer
repeat 2 or 3 times
drain water usually running very clean at that point
MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #28

I'm sure you've gotten an answer to your question by now so I have just a little advice. If you use the CampaChem single use 8oz bottles of chemicals don't drop it down your toilet. It will come out and get stuck in the sewer hose elbow giving you a heck of a time unclogging. Yes, I have shook my head at myself over that one for a while now. Good news is I got it out and quit wondering if I would ever see it again!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:27 AM   #29

thanks a lot for this great post
zirarzirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I think what the OP is asking: Do you add chemicals before you dump and do you dump everyday while traveling?

Add chemicals to an empty tank along with a gallon or 2 of water. I also add a capful of Calgon water softener. While you travel down the road the solution will slosh around in the tank mixing with the "ingredients". I'd say, if you're traveling everyday, I'd go no more than half full on the tank. A full tank adds weight and I've heard some horror stories of the waste tanks not being fastened well during construction.

Hope that shed some light on the OP's question.
I had a huge El Dorado camper back in the 70’s. It stuck out four feet past the truck bed and its holding tank busted loose when I hit a chuckhole near Salt Lake City. It was a mess and sure screwed up our vacation. I had it secured so it would have to take the whole bottom out of the camper to come loose again. I never traveled with a full tank again after that. Hopefully the newer rigs are constructed so this can never happen.
fasthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
I'm sure you've gotten an answer to your question by now so I have just a little advice. If you use the CampaChem single use 8oz bottles of chemicals don't drop it down your toilet. It will come out and get stuck in the sewer hose elbow giving you a heck of a time unclogging. Yes, I have shook my head at myself over that one for a while now. Good news is I got it out and quit wondering if I would ever see it again!

Thanks 4 the laugh!
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #32

That was definitely a Doh! moment. Came out in the end though!

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer