Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Travel trailer toilet question

I have heard different opinions on when and how to dump the holding tank while travelling. If you are travelling every day should you dump every day when you stop? Or should you wait until the black tank is full? Also when you do empty the black tank should you put water in with the chemicals to start with?? I am pretty new to having a TT so I would appreciate any helpful hints!
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure where you're getting "different" opinions, but after 10 years on various RV foums, nearly 100% say to only dump the black tank when full.
you may have to add water, if you won't have the opportunity to dump for awhile.
And a 100% will say to always add water after dumping. The only different opinions will be on what tank additives to use.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

You are going to get a huge variety of opinions on this question and there isn't a right or wrong answer to the question.

If we were traveling day to day it would be to much hassle to dump everyday in my opinion. Think about having to hookup everyday yuk. Plus I rinse the black tank for a little while when I dump.

I just dump when needed when we are on the road or when we have been in one place for a few days. It's more about easy and convenient for me.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

You want to have enough liquid to break everything down. When we travel I dump maybe every 3 days only. Once camped we know we can go 5 or 6 days without dumping you want as much possible water in there to help with the break down of paper and solids. After you dump if you have a BWF, Flush your system for atleast 15 mins. Buy a clear elbow for that and you will be surprised at will still come out. After your done I put Chemicals in, others use the non-chemical GEO METHOD. If you use Chemical packs or liquid which is cheaper add 5 gals of water and then your done. If your at a CG and people waiting in line I consider it rude to try and flush my tanks. Save that for either full hook-ups or a lot of Flying J stations have a dump station that you can pay 5.00 bucks or so to use. I have never been denied by a State or COE CG to pull in and use there dump station free, even if I don't stay there. THe only trick I know of is more the water the better when you flush. It's better to have to dump then not have enough liquid in the tank that will harden like concrete. I know this is a s**** subject but is just part of life. By the way two people answered why I was typing you can see by them about the difference in what people do. Buy the way WELCOME, and happy and safe travels to you.. PS: is your name HAM?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Personally, I would not consider dumping a partial tank unless I was in full hookups with a turboflusher installed. Turboflush in bursts of at least 15-30 minutes; then allowing it to partially fill before reopening the dump valve and continue with another burst of turbo flushing.

If no sewer hookups and turboflusher you must wait till the full light comes on (or add water until it does) to get a good push to move stuck solids from the floor of the tank.

Always add about 3-5 gallons of water (and whatever you add - I use a capful of laundry detergent and a water SOFTENER like Calgon Liquid) before using it again.

I have never had smells with this procedure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Personally, I would not consider dumping a partial tank unless I was in full hookups with a turboflusher installed. Turboflush in bursts of at least 15-30 minutes; then allowing it to partially fill before reopening the dump valve and continue with another burst of turbo flushing.

If no sewer hookups and turboflusher you must wait till the full light comes on (or add water until it does) to get a good push to move stuck solids from the floor of the tank.

Always add about 3-5 gallons of water (and whatever you add - I use a capful of laundry detergent and a water SOFTENER like Calgon Liquid) before using it again.

I have never had smells with this procedure.
Ham that is GEO METHOD I was talking about....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

I think what the OP is asking: Do you add chemicals before you dump and do you dump everyday while traveling?

Add chemicals to an empty tank along with a gallon or 2 of water. I also add a capful of Calgon water softener. While you travel down the road the solution will slosh around in the tank mixing with the "ingredients". I'd say, if you're traveling everyday, I'd go no more than half full on the tank. A full tank adds weight and I've heard some horror stories of the waste tanks not being fastened well during construction.

Hope that shed some light on the OP's question.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #8

I truly appreciate all the answers. I will follow your advice. And my name is not ham but I am a ham radio operator
Old 12-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

I am new to the blog but look forward to learning a lot from it.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

I'm in a motorhome, but here is what I do.

I wash my dishes in a rubbermaid tub. Then I dump that water down the toilet. This causes my black and gray to fill up evenly. I can go two days doing this. Otherwise, I'm dumping my gray tank every day. (I use my own shower, I don't use the CG shower.)

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #11

I'll chime in there.. and WELCOME to the forum!

X3 or 4 or whatever we're up to on the GEO method and a minimum 1/2 tank dumps. I prefer dumping with a full tank.

If you drink from your fresh tank.. here is a handy tip. I usually do my dump and water fills on the same trip. Even if I still have a nearly full fresh water tank... it's a great time to "refresh" whatever water supply you have on board after it's been sitting stagnant for several days or a week.

I generally, fill a 5 gallon bucket from my fresh tank, then flush the rest down the black tank before dumping (or until full). If I have anything left, I will let it run down the sink into the gray tank as well.

After dumping I use the 5 gallons to prep the black tank for use, then will go seek out fresh water and refill my potable.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #12

It's not rocket science
If the tank is at least 1/2 full and I feel like dumping
I dump
MM
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I truly appreciate all the answers. I will follow your advice. And my name is not ham but I am a ham radio operator
Welcome from VE3TXK. You will find this site great for all sorts of questions. And Herk is usually right on the money with his answers.

Chris
Trailer: 2015 Cherokee 274RK
In Past:
2011 Grey Wolf 26RL, 2009 Cikira 19 EXP hybrid, 2008 Clipper 108st (pop-up)
Willybgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

I never travel with more than 1/3 full black tank which contains at least one packet of laundry detergent and a mixture of equal qtys of SuperClean, Pinesol & water and if I have traveled for at least 2 or 3 hrs and have full hookups, I dump/turboflush immediately as the black tank contents are mixed and broken up as well as they will ever be. Whatever gets added that night will have the LD/SC/P/W added until the 1/3 full mark and will be dumped/turboflushed the next night immediately after stopping. IF you travel with 5-8 gal of solution in the black tank and have full hook ups at night, I highly recommend dumping as soon as you hook up the water for the turboflush. If I am just parking for the night, I hook the water/turboflush up immediately after stopping and before putting the jacks, etc. down and let it flush while I set up.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #15

I dump when the tank is nearly full. I don't go by the lights at all. When the toilet burps when I flush, I know it's getting to the full point. By burping I mean when there is a bubble of air that happens when I flush. I use RV Digest-It in the black tank as well as some laundry detergent and Calgon. Personally, when traveling, I don't dump until almost full. As was said, there are a lot of different answers. Take from all of them and do your own thing. You'll eventually find out what works for you. Just make sure that you use lots of water so you don't get the dreaded pile dit dah dit dah dit dah de VE3PJF
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #16

Good post, I'm learning here. Did not think of adding detergent to the tank but why calgon ? Does it prevent water deposits or does it make the chemicals work better ? Thanks Mike
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Alleged curmudgeon

Ham Camper...

Just to be clear...I believe Lou (Herk) meant to say 15-30 seconds at a time when using the Turboflush (black tank flush), NOT 15-30 minutes, unless this is a technique I've not heard before. Definitely would not close the dump valve more than 15-30 seconds with the turboflush running.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #18

Galgon makes everything slippery so in theory no sticking.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
Good post, I'm learning here. Did not think of adding detergent to the tank but why calgon ? Does it prevent water deposits or does it make the chemicals work better ? Thanks Mike
Google "Geo Method".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willybgh View Post
Welcome from VE3TXK. You will find this site great for all sorts of questions. And Herk is usually right on the money with his answers.

Chris
Hey Chris,
Tnx for the note. The call here is W8PO. Nice hearing from u
And HI to VE3PJF also!!

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer