Old 12-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
You can have both the trailerability of a 5th and the use of the truck bed if you do what I did. Have your (new 5th wheell) trailer configured to a goosenck hitch (which is a Lippert approved design) with a Reese Goose Box. You will get the advatages of only haveing one 6" dia obstruction in the box plus they are air ride.

trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
I'll be the exception I'm sure, but after owning three 5th wheels we purchased our first TT in September.

We wanted the space in truck back for bikes, a Canoe and a Kayak.
There are ways to haul these when towing a 5th wheel, but none are as easy as fork mounts and ladder racks for our toys. We also have a clear bed when we want the truck for other chores.

The loss of basement storage was handled by getting rid of stuff we didn't really need, and adding some storage mods on the TT. Also on the plus side, I don't miss the stairs every time I wanted to use the bathroom.
The hookup takes at most a few more minutes, and after proper hitch setup I notice no difference in towing stability to any of the 5th wheels we owned.

Keep in mind that most who move from a TT to a 5th wheel are also ugrading to a nicer rig overall at the same time.
I agree.

Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
I chose a TT because I like a canopy on the truck to secure bikes and other gear. With a back up camera, hooking up to a TT is a breeze. Also if I wish to take my ATV, I can load it on the truck and still pull the TT.
2014 FR Grey Wolf 28BH
2012 F250 Lariet (just purchased) with 6.2 L, 3.73 rear end and 6 speed tranny
Nights camped in 2014 - 37
biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
That's why they make both designs....everyone has different right or wrong answer, just whatever works for your individual needs.
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Rockwood 8289WS, Diamond Pkg.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #25
It depends on how big and the must haves you are looking for. If your looking for a large RV you may want to look at travel trailer while I think the 5th wheels are easier for towing and setup their pin weights on those over 32ft most likely exceed your trucks payload ability.

You need to be happy with both the RV and what it offers while being happy with how it tows and not tearing your truck apart doing it.
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK
2014 Ram 6.7 CC DRW
2006 Charger RT
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #26
Sara and I have a 5er. She never helps me hook up and unhook and I never have any problems, very easy. Never had a TT, but I was a U-Haul GM and know that for a 5th wheel you don't need stabilizer or leveling bars like with a TT. Those things cost as much as a good 5th wheel hitch. The 5er is easier to back up

I have pulled it by myself and I have never had a problem. My cousin has a 30 ft TT, the space in the 38Ckts is awesome. My vote is for the 5er.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #27
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Thanks offroad, we have an 8329 as well and love it. We have seen some beautiful 41' 5th wheels with king beds but for now we are happy towing with our 2013 tundra.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #28
Dont have to "hide out" if ya got a 105 mounted in the roof!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #29
If you tow very far, 5 er is the way to go....we have crew cab with 8 ft bed so have plenty of storage and a fold up cover on bed when not towing...we have a 26 ft which is more than enough room for 2....good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #30
Bikes and other gear

Most fifth wheels now come with a hitch capable of towing 1500 pounds. More than adequate for a bike rack or even cycle lift. The truck bed is functional for storage when pulling a fifth week, you just have to watch the height. The storage in the
fifth-wheel itself ("basement") is huge.

lgray is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel