Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #31

I've had both now, and I probably wouldn't go back to a TT, but I agree that it depends on your individual needs. If you really need all the space in the truck bed, then a TT is for you. But for ease of towing and hitching, you can't beat the 5-er. Good luck!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #32

The only downside we found when we had our 5th wheel was the height . We found a lot of low tree limbs at campgrounds and on alot of roads. I always worried about the roof getting ripped. Plus getting under some of the covers at gas stations

Old 12-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I've had both now, and I probably wouldn't go back to a TT, but I agree that it depends on your individual needs. If you really need all the space in the truck bed, then a TT is for you. But for ease of towing and hitching, you can't beat the 5-er. Good luck!
This is true but with all the back up camera's on these trucks today, even the TT is pretty easy to hook up. I think it's personal preference.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
The only downside we found when we had our 5th wheel was the height . We found a lot of low tree limbs at campgrounds and on alot of roads. I always worried about the roof getting ripped. Plus getting under some of the covers at gas stations
No doubt height is important. I live in a heavily wooded area and my driveway is 400 feet long and in an 'S' curve through woods within a couple of feet of either side of the drive. For me higher isn't good, I've had to cut back trees just to get the TT through there and when I had the 5'er I damaged the top. If I ever go back to a 5 I'll have to spend a fortune in tree removal. It comes down to whatever works for the individual.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #35

5th wheel towing

I have a 32' TT and after reading this thread I see a lot of people talk about a 5th wheel being easier or better to tow. I have never owned a 5th wheel but have been looking at them for a future trade in. Can anyone who has towed both explain to me what makes towing a 5th wheel better? Honest question, not being a smart ass.
roman253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman253 View Post
Can anyone who has towed both explain to me what makes towing a 5th wheel better?
After owning three 5th wheels and since September our first TT, here is my opinion:

With a 5th wheel, provided you have enough truck for the trailer and the hitch has been installed correctly, you just hook up and go. The bulk of the storage is likely in the basement, and forward of the axles so the gear you add is unlikely to cause poor handling.
The chances of a good handling rig on your first trip are very high, without any setup at all.

With a TT, several adjustments need to be performed properly to achieve the best handling. A good dealer will get you close (mine did), but after the rig is loaded with your gear some refinement will likely produce better handling. With proper setup, the chances of good handling on your first trip are also high.

The changes I made after our first trip were small, and although the handling was very good from the dealer it improved noticeably. If you significantly change the way you load the trailer, additional changes might be needed to keep the handling at its best. None of this is hard to do and there is plenty of info here to help.

We made our choice based on what we wanted to be able to do with the truck, and the floor plan of the unit and are very happy. The handling differences between 5th wheel and TT is for me a non issue.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman253 View Post
I have a 32' TT and after reading this thread I see a lot of people talk about a 5th wheel being easier or better to tow. I have never owned a 5th wheel but have been looking at them for a future trade in. Can anyone who has towed both explain to me what makes towing a 5th wheel better? Honest question, not being a smart ass.
Couple of things. The 5er putting the hitch pivot point over the rear axle greatly (practically eliminates) swaying. The difference is amazing, I had the correct WD bars, sway bar and all with my TT and I still got pushed around by wind and trucks. Now that problem is gone. Also, going over bumps and road changes is vastly improved, despite the much greater pin weight.

It's the leverage, with a TT and the hitch being several feet behind the rear axle it has a lot of leverage to lift the front (which we counter with WD bars) and leverage to turn the works (which we try to counter with sway control) when a big truck goes by, the pressure dome off the front of their truck pushes on the front of the trailer causing the combo to fold some. We go from a straight line to an arc, you're working the wheel and your passenger isn't happy.

With a fifth wheel we take those two leverage points away and make them perpendicular to each other. The load is directly over the axle, meaning the springs can handle the load easier. Plus I'll bet there's less stress on the frame with a fifth wheel than a similar sized TT despite the tongue weight difference.

The other point of leverage is that the sway is now pushing directly against the rear tires, it can't pivot against the front end any longer, thus it doesn't try to turn.

That change in leverage point is really astounding, it really is a whole different ball game.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We just switched from a Travel Trailer to a fifth wheel. The set up process will take about as much time (back and front jacks) but it is far easier to line up the fifth wheel into the back of the truck than to find that elusive ball that has to be just perfect when hitching up to a trailer and if you are using torsion bars you have to be straight on with a trailer whereas 5r's can be hooked up from an angle. Storage space is greater in the fifth wheel and if you really need the the whole truck box from time to time to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or whatever, the unit in the back of the truck is removable. I agree with almost everyone. 5r all the way.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #39

Just to add a bit to the previous 3 posts as to why a 5-er tows better...yes, with back-up cameras, its easier to find the elusive TT's ball, but it's always easier to find the pin with a 5-er. The other thing as to why it tows better with less sway (which the guys hinted to but didn't actually come out and say) is that the 5th wheel hitch more evenly distributes the trailer's tongue (or pin) weight across both the front and rear axles of the TV, so there's not only less sway, but less of the front end coming up and loss of control, porpoising during braking, etc.

I could not believe the difference the day I dropped my TT off at the dealer and went home with the 5-er. I could not stop grinning.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #40

I agree on the 5th wheel as we have owned both but we are going back to the TT due to the steps. Wife has RA and getting in and out of the TT and not having the deep steps getting to the bathroom as a big plus for us in the TT.

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel