Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmdgm View Post
Anybody have any idea of how much wind a travel trailer can take without going belly up? I have a 30' Salem Cruise Lite bumper pull,
We just went through Hurricane Irma. Our trailer was facing north/south on the side of our property. I had the stabilizers down and the water tank full. The winds were so strong that it completely tore off our back enclosed porch (24X10) but thankfully our trailer was untouched.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #22

For Irma I put the trailer on the north side of the house-this blocked the southern winds but still exposed the TT to eastern winds. Dug a hole and lowered the extended tongue jack into it- this placed it nose down, into the wind. In really bad head winds I have towed it at 85+mph equivalent. Filled all tanks-fresh gray, black. Let air out of tires to reduce space under trailer. Lowered all stabilizers. Leaf bagged the air conditioner (it has leaked water in high winds before).
The trailer came through with no damage and never moved. Keep in mind you will need a way to jack the nose out after the storm.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #23

These might help. "The Claw C100 Aircraft Tie Down Kit" from Amazon. I use these for awning tie downs whenever I camp more than overnight. So far have worked great in 40 mph winds.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 AM   #24
Handyman

All is well. Storm went further west than earlier forecasted. Only got about 70 mph winds here.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmdgm View Post
All is well. Storm went further west than earlier forecasted. Only got about 70 mph winds here.
Thankfully, you are safe and came out pretty well. We were in nearly the same when Irma came through. We have a home in Punta Gorda, FL that we have not yet lived in. We have a vehicle and boat stored there. Up until the very last hours, Irma was to make a direct hit with a strong storm surge. Fortunately, we were out-of-state and safe, but we got all of the docs ready for insurance purposes. As DW and I discussed, there was nothing more we could have done to secure anything and it is only property. We felt for all of the people caught up in mother nature's violence.

Irma brushed past us to the east. A neighbor we had just recently met checked the property and the boat. The cover blew off the boat and two small pieces of siding came off the property. Another neighbor that we had never met put the siding back on. Great neighbors. We went through Charley, so we have had our turn. We know devastation and we know how to look out for each other. It brings people together.

Our good fortune for you and us this hurricane season is humbling as others have taken the brunt of the storms. A lot of lives will never be the same.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #26

Most transport companies will not dispatch and tell drivers to pull off the road when sustained winds reach 35mph. I have pulled many trailers with winds over 50mph and have never had an issue, but it's not fun.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
You are right. However, sometimes it is not feasible to use mobile home anchors. Faced with Hurricane Irma, no place to run, and no way to anchor to pavers, I devised a suitable tie down "system" that might qualify me as a redneck.
Attachment 153596

Attachment 153597

Ingenious, I appreciate the redneck engineering.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #28
Tom

Unless I am missing something, I don't see how this would even work. It may help prevent some lifting from front or rear but looks ineffective towards a broadside rollover.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer