Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Travel trailer winterization

I think I have been doing my winterization for my fresh water system all wrong. I have been pouring a few gallons of the pink stuff(antifreeze) into my fresh water tank and then pumping it through the water system. But after looking at my plumbing I see a shut off valve with a hose coming off of it. Looks like I could dip that hose into the antifreeze bottle and turn the valve and turn on my pump and it should bypass my fresh water tank and winterize my system. Am I correct in my assumption? I have pictures but I have forgotten how to put them in a post.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #2

Yes.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Canadian eh'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I think I have been doing my winterization for my fresh water system all wrong. I have been pouring a few gallons of the pink stuff(antifreeze) into my fresh water tank and then pumping it through the water system. But after looking at my plumbing I see a shut off valve with a hose coming off of it. Looks like I could dip that hose into the antifreeze bottle and turn the valve and turn on my pump and it should bypass my fresh water tank and winterize my system. Am I correct in my assumption? I have pictures but I have forgotten how to put them in a post.
You don't have to pour AF into the fresh water tank. There is always another way to winterize. Some trailers are different than others so I can only speak for mine. My Grey Wolf 22RR, I disconnect hose on the pump (intake) side and put on a 2' hose that I can put into the AF bottle. I bypass the fresh water tank. The AF goes directly from the pump out to my taps, shower (outdoor shower as well) and toilet. Then in the summer, I connect the fresh water tank hose back onto the pump.

Make sure your shut off valves for the hot water tank are shut off properly also.

Hope that helps.
Fusionak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

You are correct, but since you've put pink stuff in you fresh water tank, and probably got some onto your water Heath, flush both several times now. Is difficult to get the taste out of them once they are polluted.

The winterize using the tube with the water heater valves shut off. Make sure you drain your low point valves.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Don't forget to flush the "City water Connection"...I've seen many of those cracked come spring time, due to a small amount of water trapped just inside the valve going into the trailer. It's the last thing I do to my trailer. When the lines are full, I shut off the pump, release some...Not All the pressure in the lines. I take the screen off the connection and you'll see the little plunger in the center. I take a flat screw driver....STAND OFF TO THE SIDE...and gently push the plunger in until I see water and then Pink shoot out of it. I replaced my brother in laws twice before he remembered to flush it also.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. And yes I have had one heck of a time getting all the pink stuff out of my tank. Rinsed and drained 4 or 5 times until it was clear. But we only drink bottled water so no taste problem for us. But I am glad to know how to bypass the fresh water now. I will put some stuff in the tank and clean it out well. Take care all!

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

I never thought about that, thanks for the info. I do remember to do my outside shower though. That thing could easily get frozen.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
I never thought about that, thanks for the info. I do remember to do my outside shower though. That thing could easily get frozen.
This year I need to remember that I have TWO ! outside showers that I need to flush. Don't let me forget guys !! I'm counting on you.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #9

OMG I have trouble remembering my name let alone helping you our Wolfpaq

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Another way to avoid some problems is to shoot pressurized air (at 40 psi) into the city water connection, then open each hot and cold water valve in the trailer, one at a time, then turn them off. Then the low point drains. When that is done, I close off the hot water heater valves and pump in the antifreeze.

Only takes an hour to do it all, and you should have no water collection anywhere.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

I isolate the Water Heater BEFORE opening the Low point drains,this keeps the "White Crud" from going "Downstream"! Then drain the Heater! Youroo!!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about the pink stuff in your FW tank, will be a lot of fill and flush to get it out.
I personally, use a blow out plug.
First I drain the entire water system, hot water tank ano rod out and let it drain, then the FW tank drain, then I open every faucet and let the low point drains go.
THEN, I close off the low points and the FW and get the DW in the trailer.
I blow out at 40psi and she open every faucet, hot and cold side including the shower.
Then I do the outside shower blowing air through it till I hear just air.
Once all that is down, I pour about a cup of the pink stuff into every drain so the trap is full of it. Pour about a cup into the toilet so the seals stay wet.
Then I am done.
I have never pumped the antifreeze through my system.
Three motorhomes in Chicago and now in MO, 1 popup, 1 bumper pull and now our 5er and have never had a problem in the spring when we open it up and I DON'T have to get all the antifreeze out of the system.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #13

Thanks for The info
and do you have really cold temps also you know anything about using RV Covers
Get Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart View Post
Thanks for The info
and do you have really cold temps also you know anything about using RV Covers
In MO we get below freezing in the winter and that is all that really matters, once below freezing overnight, if is isn't winterized properly, you have done the damage to the plumbing.
I had one RV cover and it was such PIA to get on, I sold it and just cover the tires and get on the roof every year to check/replace the caulking.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Another way to avoid some problems is to shoot pressurized air (at 40 psi) into the city water connection, then open each hot and cold water valve in the trailer, one at a time, then turn them off. Then the low point drains. When that is done, I close off the hot water heater valves and pump in the antifreeze.

Only takes an hour to do it all, and you should have no water collection anywhere.

I do this for 2 reasons.

1. It's a quick and easy way to do a temporary winterization if cold weather is coming and you aren't ready to give up on camping just yet.

2. It prevents the antifreeze from getting diluted with the water still in the lines.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #16

Quote:
OMG I have trouble remembering my name let alone helping you our Wolfpaq
HAHAHA !!! I resemble that remark.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer, winter