Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

I looked at the layout now on the computer. Not really a family layout. Not really sure what to suggest other than come up with a way to make a partition to keep the little one out of trouble.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
A little bit of whiskey and he will sleep for a week!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	131299
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Silly question but what kind of bed does he have at home? If you try and contain him he will only want to get out. Perhaps give him a little freedom to roam. After a couple nights it won't be as fun any more. Wallah, problem solved. It does stink as a parent for a few nights, and it will be like that the first night of every trip for a while.

One thing we did do was add an eye hook and latch to the inside of the doors. When younger our kids could pull the handle but couldn't open the door as they weren't tall enough to undo the hook.

He has a toddler bed at home and does great with it. But there also isn't a dining table he can crawl up on in the middle of the night in his room either. We only get to go camping for a 3 day weekend about once a month, so by the time he would get adjusted to the freedom it's time to go home.

I'm know this is just one of those transitional stages that we will just have to let him discover and learn, but i was hoping to throw a Hail Mary and someone had a great solution I hadn't thought of haha.

If all else fails we do have an extra dog kennel that our Doberman doesn't use....totally kidding
Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_Family View Post
He has a toddler bed at home and does great with it. But there also isn't a dining table he can crawl up on in the middle of the night in his room either. We only get to go camping for a 3 day weekend about once a month, so by the time he would get adjusted to the freedom it's time to go home.

I'm know this is just one of those transitional stages that we will just have to let him discover and learn, but i was hoping to throw a Hail Mary and someone had a great solution I hadn't thought of haha.

If all else fails we do have an extra dog kennel that our Doberman doesn't use....totally kidding
As big as a PITA as it would be, why not make the table a bed and the couch a bed each night until he doesn't want to explore anymore?

If the table is already a bed just like the one he's laying in, he may be less interested.

We've got a 22 month old and know exactly what you're dealing with. We're trying to figure out what to do for this summer too. Wanted to strangle the Emotionally Unstable Pint Sized Dictator last night! The hardest part is, so much changes between 18 months and 22 months in their temperament that you may be chasing your tail.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I looked at the layout now on the computer. Not really a family layout. Not really sure what to suggest other than come up with a way to make a partition to keep the little one out of trouble.

No it's not, the DW wanted this one for the bigger living room area so we could put his pack n play in the center and still have room. Also, it works great for us during the day with the room for toys and playing. It only gets inconvenient at night.

Last night I did think about pulling out the 2 recliners, getting an air mattress, and figuring out some type of pop up wall. But not sure how to secure it but have it be put up and taken down easily enough to justify the effort.
Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
As big as a PITA as it would be, why not make the table a bed and the couch a bed each night until he doesn't want to explore anymore?

If the table is already a bed just like the one he's laying in, he may be less interested.
Exactly what I was thinking. Put some pillows on the ground in the event he rolls off. Did the same thing when ours were that age.

Seems like a PITA but it's nothing compared to when they get older and mine aren't technically even teenagers yet...
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #27

Our toddler is 20 months old and she is a little climber too. We did the same thing and got a unit with the bigger area in the living room for the toddler to play in which makes it a pita at night.

When she was an infant she slept in a bassinet beside the bed when camping, when she started to crawl is when we started having issues with her climbing out of her bassinet so when camping we would put her in the bed with us. As she is coming into her own she is getting to where she hates sleeping inside anything with walls we already had to turn her crib into a day bed at home, our last trip we stuck her in the living room on the couch with our 9 year old daughter and just took the table top off of the dinette she did ok (other than our 9 year old watched tv and our toddler wouldn't go to sleep until the tv was off).

My absolute biggest fear camping is our toddler falling out the door and down the stairs. About 4 years ago we were camping with some friends who had a toddler and he did exactly that. He pushed on the screen door and the latch popped and he flew down 3 steps to the ground below. I was outside the camper when it happened, it all happened in a second. They spent all night in the ER and had to fill out a CPS survey..... They said nothing makes you feel like a worse parent than having a cps person asking you a bunch of questions and then making you fill out a survey!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post

IMO, this is the answer. Maybe put up a bed rail at the end of the dinette.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
My absolute biggest fear camping is our toddler falling out the door and down the stairs. About 4 years ago we were camping with some friends who had a toddler and he did exactly that. He pushed on the screen door and the latch popped and he flew down 3 steps to the ground below.

If you have a folding grab handle, this can be easily solved by folding it over the screen door.

http://learntorv.com/quick-tip-baby-proof-screen-door/

Before I started doing that, my son took a tumble out of the door and down the steps. My daughter hadn't fully latched the door and he leaned on it. Like you said- it happens in an instant. Fortunately for us, he was scared and scratched but not hurt.

What I also found is my son would push on the screen with his head to the point he started pushing the spline out and freeing the screen from its entrapment. We put a piece of plexiglass/Lexan in to spread the force.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #30

I just added one of these to the inside of our screens doors high enough they couldn't reach it easily. Worked well and cheap.

Also quick and easy for adults to open and get out.

Name:	31wK7GZossL.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	131306
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #31

We travel with our grand kids and take a pack and play with us. It folds up for day use but can fit in our bed room with us at night when un packed. It has worked out for us for several grand kids then we can use it at home as well.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....329001986_.jpg
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
We travel with our grand kids and take a pack and play with us. It folds up for day use but can fit in our bed room with us at night when un packed. It has worked out for us for several grand kids then we can use it at home as well.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....329001986_.jpg
That is what he said they already use and it is not longer working.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_Family View Post
We have an 18 month little boy who already is loving camping. He has been camping since he was born and up until now he has slept in a pack n play in the living room. On our last trip a week ago he figured out he can jump out of his bed at night and touch everything.

Has/is anyone having this issue and what did you do to create a new bed?

I was considering folding the couch out and attaching some netting somehow so he couldn't roll off the side, but the DW reminded me that he loves to climb over the side of the couch and onto the dining table.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
So what are his sleeping arrangements at home? Still in a crib or has he moved up to a "big boy" bed? If he is still in a crib, you may want to consider a Porta-Crib and maybe secluding him as best you can to keep him sleeping instead of up roaming and exploring. My youngest daughter at that age and younger, slept in a large cardboard movers box in the bathroom. I planked over the tiny bathtub and set the box on top with one side of the box completely cut away. Once she was fed and ready for sleep, we would put her down and she would stay and sleep all night unless one of the other kids made too much noise or flipped the bathroom light on.

I'm sure you already know this, but sometimes an OTC Benedryl will put the little ones out like a light, plus help them with any allergies to dust and pollen.

BTW, if he is already in a big boy bed, I don't think he will agree to go back to a crib...he will associate going camping with being treated like a baby again.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with the family!

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #34

What about a very small pop-up tent on top of the table bed, or the floor? Unless he has learned how to unzip it, it should keep him contained. It could be his adventure. I used to set my tent up in the living room when grandchildren spent the night, they loved it.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #35

We have a 19 month old great granddaughter and she stays with us a lot, at our house she sleeps with DW and I sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag, that works great for me. When she goes camping with us, we have a king size bed and she sleeps with us
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #36

how about just whippin his little a** with a stick ...i kid i kid .

We make the table into a bed for my little one if she gets down momma hears it and its not a problem . Some how moms got bionic ears and hears EVERYTHING . Plus trailers all shake whenever anything over 10 lbs shifts inside them .
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #37

Perhaps you could use something ala Hannibal Lector?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HannibalLector.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	131311  
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

We have a small fold out kid cot we use for visiting grandparents. But that would not work for a climber. We did have a small collapsible tent like bed we used to use when outside and sleeping on the dinnette before we had bunks. I cannot think of its name but it was just that, a pop up tent with a matress pad in it. Was maybe 3 or so by 3 or so feet square and three feet tall, all enclosed.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you have a folding grab handle, this can be easily solved by folding it over the screen door.

Quick tip- baby proof screen door | Learn To RV

Before I started doing that, my son took a tumble out of the door and down the steps. My daughter hadn't fully latched the door and he leaned on it. Like you said- it happens in an instant. Fortunately for us, he was scared and scratched but not hurt.

What I also found is my son would push on the screen with his head to the point he started pushing the spline out and freeing the screen from its entrapment. We put a piece of plexiglass/Lexan in to spread the force.
That is pure genius with putting the handle over the door! I can't believe I didn't think of that already. We have the same handle and will start doing that!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #40
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Perhaps you could use something ala Hannibal Lector?
Jeez....

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
travel