Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Traveling with firearms questions

A touchy subject, I know, however. I'm sure people do travel with guns. Im wondering if anyone has had any problems with that. Im currently a police officer and under federal statute HR 218 I can carry in all 50 states except where federally prohibited like federal buildings etc. I'm traveling from NJ to Mt. Rushmore then through Utah and then I-40 back across to 95 then north again. I'm not worried about traveling with but more so when i stop and see National Parks and other things. Just wondering what peoples views are on traveling with and carrying a pistol. I'm traveling with my wife and 3 kids all age 10 and less. Basically I'm wondering if I really need it or if will become something extra I just have to worry about instead of enjoying the trip with my family.
KEliasz is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Need it while as a retired LEO myself you never know when you will need it or not. But always better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I for one always carry as long as I’m legal.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #3

I myself, carry a lot more than I use to. If not with me, it was in close proximity inside the trailer. Down at our cabin in MO. I carry all the time...especially when were down in the woods. Lots of critters out there that are sometimes a little temperamental when you invade their domain. State Parks can be the same.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Need it while as a retired LEO myself you never know when you will need it or not. But always better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I for one always carry as long as I’m legal.
Excellent point.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #5

Retired PO here and I carry ever where I go as allowed by federal statute! If it's not on me, it's secured.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

I would carry but as you well know with children it takes some caution. I carry always but as two seniors it is for protection as we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves for young people who tried to harm us.
whj469 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
A touchy subject, I know, however. I'm sure people do travel with guns. Im wondering if anyone has had any problems with that. Im currently a police officer and under federal statute HR 218 I can carry in all 50 states except where federally prohibited like federal buildings etc. I'm traveling from NJ to Mt. Rushmore then through Utah and then I-40 back across to 95 then north again. I'm not worried about traveling with but more so when i stop and see National Parks and other things. Just wondering what peoples views are on traveling with and carrying a pistol. I'm traveling with my wife and 3 kids all age 10 and less. Basically I'm wondering if I really need it or if will become something extra I just have to worry about instead of enjoying the trip with my family.
Probably a worry more then anything. I travel all the time with mine, if your going someplace you can't carry by law lock it up. If your a cop you should know this stuff. There is nothing against the law carrying it but do it lawful. I have a safe I lock mine in, I also have a CCW permit , would I carry it someplace against the law of course not. Your a police officer what you do if you caught someone? Well same applies to you because your an officer you still need to follow the law that is permitted to you. I hope that you would never need it to protect yourself or family and property.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

I know most federal parks dont allow firearms but state parks rules vary from state to state and HR 218 does not override state park bans, which would make carrying illegal there. Unless you have that state carry permit.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #9

I have never felt the need carry a gun as I got enough of caring a gun in Vietnam. A lot of my friends carry guns but not me. You see a lot more people now with open carry in Walmart and other places. I guess that’s one thing I liked about traveling in Canada
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

As an officer I understand the need, and the cautions and as well as respecting the law. And like Witch Doctor said, I hope in my lifetime I never have to use it. I was more wondering if people do or dont bring it along. This topic doesnt seem to be discussed here much or at all
Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #11

There are websites that discuss which states have which policies.

I have a neat "States Visited" map and there are areas where I won't be able to put one up for certain states. I hate that, because I would like to visit all of them.

A good friend berates me for carrying (I have a license, not reciprocal everywhere). I just say "I carry a weapon because a cop is too heavy to carry".

Spent the winter at a park where police tape was all around the trailer/site about 4 down from me. That park has a lot of trouble with homeless, in the summer. Things happen. I have insurance I pay for to cover contingencies. That's how I view this.

Not everyone should do it, though. Some are not cut out for it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #12

I've told people if you call 911, we will come. I will risk my life to get there to save yours. But what are you prepared to do in the time it takes me to get there.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
As an officer I understand the need, and the cautions and as well as respecting the law. And like Witch Doctor said, I hope in my lifetime I never have to use it. I was more wondering if people do or dont bring it along. This topic doesnt seem to be discussed here much or at all
More people carry then will admit, I personally know that at the Frog Rally no guns are permitted, I bet at least half had guns in there trailers. You don't advertise. It's also kinda of a no no on the forum. It gets touchy and the moderators always shut the thread down. Just follow the law it's your right, in doubt call the State Police they will tell you how to proceed.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Grammar Pedant

Obviously, the federal restrictions are concise and really pose no issue. It's the state laws that create various points of confusion.

Going from NJ to SD will force you through IL, which is the toughest state to get through and comply with its laws.

The best way to learn is to go to a dedicated carry website. I wouldn't recommend an RV forum to research firearm laws ... just like I wouldn't use a firearm forum to learn about Forest River products. At a more dedicated site, you can view the various reciprocity laws and learn more about what you can and cannot do in various states. Again, when I reviewed this, I found IL to be the hardest state to understand and work around.

I refuse to be illegal and work hard to ensure that I'm not.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #15

Saw something interesting a while back. The CG had their “rules” printed on a paper given everyone at check in. It stated “loaded firearms” were not allowed.

Since it only takes less than two seconds to clip a Glock I’m okay with that.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #16

Best resource I have found.
https://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quote:
A touchy subject, I know, however. I'm sure people do travel with guns. Im wondering if anyone has had any problems with that. Im currently a police officer and under federal statute HR 218 I can carry in all 50 states except where federally prohibited like federal buildings etc. ....
Officer KEliasz, As a non-gun carrier, I have confidence that you are trained and able to operate your weapon in high stress situations. Those without adequate training (non-military, non-law-enforcement) do make me concerned.

With respect,

Bill
NoviBill is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Saw something interesting a while back. The CG had their “rules” printed on a paper given everyone at check in. It stated “loaded firearms” were not allowed.
If that's a private CG, then that is fine. If that was a public CG, it's highly unlikely that it's worth the paper it's written on. There are lots of USFS CGs and State Parks that online (RA.com/rec.gov) and at the park have "no firearms" notifications. Not consistent with federal or CO state laws, though.

Government around here is notorious for posting bogus (unenforceable) no firearms notifications.

Again, that's why you need to research the actual laws. If you just go by a sign or printed paper, then you will just get someone's opinion.

BTW, I highly doubt your Glock is fed by a clip.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
I know most federal parks dont allow firearms but state parks rules vary from state to state and HR 218 does not override state park bans, which would make carrying illegal there. Unless you have that state carry permit.
Legal to carry in national parks like Yellowstone . i carry in camper or truck all the time . though never felt a need to conceal carry on my person even though i'm legal to do so .
MR.M is offline   Reply
Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #20

Federal nat. parks and lands follow whatever the State laws are that they are in. The only restriction is you can't carry into Fed buildings. For example I was recently at the Grand Canyon...with my AZ permit I can carry (I prefer concealed) in my car and walking around but can't into the visitor center (Fed bldg.). Current LEO's from any state can carry inside though.

In my home state of WA, Counties and Cities can't make their own laws...State law rules. County's pass codes that you can't carry in their parks but it's not enforceable. Same with businesses in WA...they can't tell you can't carry concealed inside even though they post signs.

14 states now you don't even need a permit. And check out Utah...u can open carry into a school with no issues...I know someone who does it.

We travel a lot to the free western states with no issues. I never go to Cali or OR. Just visited a good friend in AZ who is a current LEO and when I mentioned we bringing guns...he said you better. ha

In WA a few years back we had a shooting at a mall and there was a current LEO in the store who was not carrying and thus couldn't help...don't be that guy or girl ha.
Magnum40 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
travel