Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #41
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
...If it was bad to travel with it on, then why would the State of Virginia put all this in?
Virginia is a funny state. They also use radar guns and aircraft to catch speeding. I think they want visitors, but they let you know in advance you should just pass on through, spend your money, and keep moving.

BTW, my DW is from Old Dominion, so I know whereof I speak

MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #42
It is illegal here in Ontario to travel with your propane on. We cool the fridge before we leave and even after 4 or 5 hours on the road everything is still cool & frozen. Our beer is usually in a cooler anyway.

Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #43
For those of you that use gasoline to propel your RV that is much more dangerous than Propane, ignition temp for gas is much lower than propane!!! Not sure why some states have laws concerning the carrying or use of propane while traveling but I would assume it is lack of knowledge by lawmakers (how is that possible). I do understand the concern with propane in tunnels as propane is heaver than air and if leaking would settle to low places, like tunnels, but again would require ignition to create an explosion but gasoline is OK?
New2aBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #44
Nice photo 😎
mudman2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #45
Always leave mine on propane and fill the truck with gas before we hook up.
MIsalem26bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #46
One more for on.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #47
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Always on.
And never heard of an explosion from a fridge while on the road. Also RV propane fridges don't have pilot lights.

I hadnt either untill my BIL's 34' cardinal went up in flames on the interstate in arkansas.A ball of fire blew the lower fridge vent off,by the time he got off onto the shoulder the whole trailer was engulfed,mayby 2 minutes from when he saw it blow off. Only reason he even saw it was that a semi pulled out to pass him and he glanced in his mirror.The semi drive pulled out behind him and had never seen anything like it! In less than 10 minutes the whole trailer was reduced to a pile of black goo with puddles of aluminum.He did have time to pull the pin and drive out from under it,saveing his truck,but his tandem axle tool trailer that he towed behind the 5th was mostly toast too.They full time 6 months in the winter doing missonary construction work with a group called "Nomads".
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #48

Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
On for us. The manufacturer even added a baffle to ensure the pilot light would remain lit while traveling. If you travel where it's hot, a 2 to 3 hour trip could mean some real problems for cold foods.
I did read somewhere that Canada has a rule against traveling with the propane on.
Anyone know of any such restrictions?

As a Canadian I know of no such rule been camping since 1967.......Only tunnel in Canada that I know of is in Montreal Quebec and I do not think they have a warning "no propane tanks" like Baltimore on I-95 I always travel with fridge on....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #49
Site Team
Always on including while fueling...........
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #50
Tinkerer and Putterer
I do not run the propane while traveling. Since most of our traveling is done in the summer I run the generator and power the fridge and AC off of it. Even if it's cold outside I won't run the gas. I do not want the boiler to heat unevenly while going up or down inclines. The boiler probably won't start a fire but I wouldn't want to overheat the boiler and risk fridge damage. If it's cold outside I'll use ice packs to keep things cold.

RV Fires | Refrigerator | Fridge | Prevention

HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

fridge, travel