Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
I have 100 gallon tank so thats 800 lbs of extra weight!!! I fill up when i get there. Depends how much weight you can tow. Im sure distance will be a factor also.

showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Water boy

Well to me it makes the most sense to go with a full load. No stop and unknown water sources. I suppose it will be a good work out my truck which has plenty of power and spring capacity for the TT. Structurally it should be fine for the TT as well I presume..I will head out this week.

Cudaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
You'd need to weigh the advantage of knowing where the water comes from vs the 830+ lbs you'll add to your load.
The_Painting_Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
I would think allot would depend on how heavy you load the RV to begin with. Load up everything and fill with water ready to hit the road, hit the scales first, you might be surprised. You might have to shed some weight, can the tires take it.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
I like to be fully stocked when we get on the road even when headed home.
I am not sure if this is a helpful reason or not, low center of gravity. I think having 500#s in the lowest place I can put it should help. I have been in some very strong gusty cross winds and even in the windy mountains having a lower center of gravity might be helping.
This being said, I always try to run with empty grey and black tanks because those are on the back of the trailer and I don’t want a heavy back end.
And there is no doubt that wind resistance is the biggest culprit for poor gas mileage. I always drive showing instant mileage, and it sucks in a head wind(pun intended).
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
Water boy

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. I made the trip with the full tank no issues. Didnt even know it was there. 9.6 mpg on the way down to Portland and 9.6 on the way home. Only used about 2/3 of the 40gals in 4 days but emptied and dumped it on the way back.

Cudaman is online now   Reply With Quote

travel, water