Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Traveling with water in fresh water tank.

I have read many threads on this and I'm still undecided. We have a 2015 Rockwood 8325ss Signature Series new to us this year. We always have a reservation at a designation that has at least power and water. This year we are just throwing the generator into the truck, hooking up and going. Destination is Oro Mendonte Ontario for a Rolling Stones concert. The route is planned but stops along the way are not planed so we could be in a beautiful park or a Walmart lot. We would like to have some water in the tank for coffee, washing, etc. So after all that my question is simple. Do you travel with fresh water in your tank. Yes or no?

larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #2

a always travel with my fresh tank full. Our regular spot does not have water on site and im not going to get in the Friday night line for water. I blow right by them and am set up with a beer in my hand while they are still waiting in line.

Kimber45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I have read many threads on this and I'm still undecided. We have a 2015 Rockwood 8325ss Signature Series new to us this year. We always have a reservation at a designation that has at least power and water. This year we are just throwing the generator into the truck, hooking up and going. Destination is Oro Mendonte Ontario for a Rolling Stones concert. The route is planned but stops along the way are not planed so we could be in a beautiful park or a Walmart lot. We would like to have some water in the tank for coffee, washing, etc. So after all that my question is simple. Do you travel with fresh water in your tank. Yes or no?
Of course I travel with water in my tank. One of the reasons I bought a "Self
Contained" trailer is so I could have water and other normal "utilities" while traveling and be totally free from hookups whenever needed or wanted.

As for the argument "I don't want to tow the weight", the frontal area of any
RV, be it a trailer or Motor Home, uses up much of the horsepower of your engine just to move it through the air. The weight of the water is a non-issue unless you are overweight to begin with.

If you don't think you will need much water then maybe fill it to half and don't shower

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Traveling with fresh water

Back in those "olden days" we'd always have full water everyplace we went. Never knew any different and never had any problems either. Now, a few decades and RVs later and with the internet and all the 'experts' over the years, I now usually carry about 15 gallons (ca. 57 liters) in our 49 gallon (ca. 185 liters) freshwater tank for exactly the uses you mention while traveling.

If we know we'll be boon docking, at a place near where we'll be staying or if a campground with no hookups, we will stop and fill up the tank as I think the consensus is a full tank for a short distance would not be a problem for most of the RVs that would even be considering no hookups for a few nights.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
Scoundrel

If traveling long distances I go with half a tank for use along the way, then fill up near my destination. If not traveling a long distance I fill the tank at home. I also beefed up the fresh water tank supports so the tank won't fall out.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
Do you travel with fresh water in your tank. Yes or no?

I don't believe this is the question you should be asking. You will get xx Yes answers and yy No answers. I think the question you should ask YOURSELF if you need water on the trip is "will my fresh water tank fall out or stay in place?" I recommend you answer that by pulling down the coroplast bottom cover (if you have one) and see if the tank is properly braced with study braces.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 49
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #7

Never leave home with less than a full tank or return with less than half full.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
If traveling long distances I go with half a tank for use along the way, then fill up near my destination. If not traveling a long distance I fill the tank at home. I also beefed up the fresh water tank supports so the tank won't fall out.

I checked the tank supports on my 2018 MicroLite and found them to be more than adequate. Perhaps the hysteria over weak tank supports is a result of some older units having a poor design.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #9

We travel with a full tank when we are going to a boondocking site and with just 10 -15 gallons if we'll have hookups. I have modified our FW tank supports because I felt the factory supports were weak.
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I checked the tank supports on my 2018 MicroLite and found them to be more than adequate. Perhaps the hysteria over weak tank supports is a result of some older units having a poor design.
Gosh I hope so.

Then we could start discussing religion and politics instead....

I don't think hysteria is the right term though. I, as an engineer, have concerns about mine. My concerns are backed up by pictures of tanks laying on the road.

aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water, water tank