Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #11

We have always stayed at Fishing Bridge in the park. It has full hook ups with pull through's and back in spots. You get to enjoy the wild life as it walks through the camp site's. You need to make reservations. My wife and I have been there at least 11 times over the years. By staying in the park, you don't have to pay each time that you enter the park. August if one of the best times to be going.

Tom

Tom Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #12

We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone. I feel the West entrance into the park makes the day trips easier. We did the loop down to Old Faithful and along YS lake one day, then the northern loop to Mammoth Hot Springs the second day. The east entrance from Cody is an hour drive as is the southern entrance from Jackson Hole. You could make these day trips from a west location rather than driving those distances each day.

You will probably have better luck staying getting reservations outside the park at this late date. Depending on your route may be best to make YP on the way back home.

Yellowstone National Park - Yellowstone National Park

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wolf View Post
We have always stayed at Fishing Bridge in the park. It has full hook ups with pull through's and back in spots. You get to enjoy the wild life as it walks through the camp site's. You need to make reservations. My wife and I have been there at least 11 times over the years. By staying in the park, you don't have to pay each time that you enter the park. August if one of the best times to be going.

Tom
You buy a week pass, you can come and go as often as you like. And some of the inside campgrounds prohibit soft sided trailers, so we were outside the park at the West Yellowstone KOA.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wolf View Post

Tom
X2
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #15

Fishing bridge is hard side only. Not sure I would stay anywhere in the park in a soft side or tent. To old in the first place but also don't want my rear end to get bit. On the other hand, I am always packing whenever and wherever I go camping.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #16

We always have at least one Bear Spray with us when camping anywhere near bear country. Bullets work well, but Bear Spray is much less threatening to a lot of folks.

I would also recommend a whole year national park pass. It is a great buy and if you go to more than YNP, you get in free. One summer we went to 12 national parks/monuments on an $80 family pass.

A couple of notes on the KOA in West Yellowstone. We used to go there every year early in the season. They have a decent park and most of the staff is friendly. One year we went there and they gave away our requested space, gave us another, and we would not fit. I went back to the office, they gave me another to try. I got it into the space (with a travel trailer it takes 30 minutes to get level and hooked up). I went back to the office and they said that I didn't come back and tell them I had accepted the new space and they had already rented it and that I had to go back to the space I didn't fit into in the first place. Needless to say I won't be staying there again. Typical KOA - when the owners are there it is much different than when the untrained summer help is set loose.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Stayed at fishing bridge. Call early in morning for reservation. They were booked. While on the phone, someone called and cancelled. Perfect timing. Loved our spot. Buffalo walked thru. Bear crossed road just past cg.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #18

Enjoy your time there and stay safe. If you stop along the road for any reason, be prepared for people stopping to ask what you see. We pulled into a pull out to eat lunch one day, got our chairs and food out. Starting eating and about 40 vehicles stopped and interrupted our lunch. Funny thing is, as we were talking to a couple, a fox showed up on the creek bank about 20 feet away looking at us.

Growing up in Montana, I see the animals quite often and know what they are. It amaze's me to see that some people do not know the difference between an elk and a deer, a bull and a cow or a doe and a buck. Some didn't even know the difference between a moose and a deer. Guess I am spoiled living where I do.

Tom
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Expect bear jams along the way.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #20

We stayed at the Yellowstone RV and Marina on a lake side site. The campground was great and not too expensive. The staff are very friendly and accommodating, the sites are big and the facilities clean. For the times when you don't want to drive anywhere, you have the lake at your door step. The scenery is spectacular too. It is about 13 miles out of West Yellowstone but the drive to the park entrance only takes 15 minutes. Grocery shopping in WY is expensive as too was gas and diesel.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote