Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Travelling to Yellow Stone NP

Hi to all friends, we will be heading from Maine to CA starting Aug 6. We want to stop at Yellow Stone NP for a week or so. Could you please recommend where to stay? Montana, Wyoming, Idaho? In the park or outside Private park? We have a Jeep with us so no issues with exploring the area with car.

Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
The wife and I went to Yellowstone 2 years ago in our TT, from central Ohio. We stayed at a private campground in Gardner (sorry, don't remember the name right now). We had reservations before we left home. Gardner is the northern gateway to Yellowstone (Theodore Roosevelt arch). There are some campgrounds inside Yellowstone, but I believe they are first come first serve and have limited services. Every one that I saw was jam packed. The private campground we stayed at was also very busy, making me glad we had reservations. This was mid July. Basically, I would recommend staying outside the park at a private campground. Your choices are northern gateway, east, west or south gateways. Wherever you stay, be prepared for long drives to other points in the park. Sorry for the long post, you can PM me if you like and I can tell you more. Beautiful place, lots to see and do. Enjoy.

2012 F350 Lariat Supercab DRW LWB Diesel
Reese Elite 18K - Trailair Triglide
2014 Sanibel 3500 - everything but the generator!
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
We just came back from the area, and we stayed at the KOA in Cody, on the east side of Yellowstone. The Buffalo Bill museum is there, and is amazing. They also have a rodeo every night which is neat if you like that kind of thing.
We used Cody as a base for our exploring. There is a really cool ghost town about an hour south of Cody. We couldn't get there because of our beast of a TV, but it would be an awesome drive with your Jeep.
We drove up the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway to the northwest of Cody, which is stunning scenery.
The Buffalo Bill Dam is just west of town, and was a big feat of engineering when it was built a hundred years ago. We hiked down the canyon, getting within a few hundred yards of the dam, and as it was early in the year, they were dumping vast amounts of water out the overflow tunnel. Awesome!
The Cody KOA itself is good. Not a lot of trees as Cody is quite dry. But also very few bugs for that same reason.
But of course, there are lots of choices.
Enjoy your trip!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
We also stayed at the Cody KOA a few year ago, but it was a stop on the way to yellowstone for us, not our homebase. The rodeo is great. Had my first ever buffalo burger. Cody is very cool and filled with old western history.
When visiting yellowstone, we decided to stay in Jackson Hole,WY. I believe the campground was called The Virginian Lodge. It was a hotel with a campground. Website is You'll be about an hour south of yellowstone, but it's very much worth it. You'll get to see the great town of Jackson Hole and also the Tetons and Grand Teton NP. Very very impressive. You can then take day trip into yellowstone to sightsee.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Mike Hollar
2014 Berkshire 390BH-40
2012 Chevy Equinox - TOAD
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
If you’re planning on spending a week in Yellowstone you might want to start calling to see if you can get reservations either in the park or outside the park. I wouldn’t want to travel that far without have reservations in the Yellowstone area. It can be problematic getting a campsite on such short notice.

As Popcorn mentioned there are a couple of RV parks in Gardiner, MT on the north side. Also there are a number of parks on the west side of the park in West Yellowstone, MT. I can definitely recommend Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone but you might not be able to get reservations there. Grizzly RV Park is just two blocks from the park’s west entrance.

Cody, WY is an interesting place to visit but I wouldn’t use it as a base for exploring Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons since Cody is 50 miles from the east entrance of Yellowstone.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
The KOA in West Yellowstone is also nice. You will need reservations. It is just outside the town and it is not far from the West gate to Yellowstone. We really enjoyed our stay there and the heated indoor swimming pool when we were done sightseeing.
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Site Team
I noticed in one of my RV newsletters that Yellowstone has been experiencing a norovirus outbreak as of late. They have had about 200 employees and campers become ill.

You might want to make sure to wash your hands a little more frequently, depending on where you go or what you touch while there.

RV Travel Newsletter: June 29-July 5. Issue 592 | RV Travel
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
The Rocky Mountain RV Campground in Gardiner is great. Quiet, clean and the owners are super. We have "camped" at Yellowstone for the past five years starting out in a 24' tow trailer. Stayed in the park in primitive campground. Upgraded to 35' fifth wheel and needed hookups. Very difficult to get reservations in park so stayed outside of park in Gardiner and drove into park. Was in Yellowstone in June when norovirus broke out in Mammoth area with tourists on tour bus and was contracted by some of the workers at lodge and restaurant. We stayed out of crowds. Had great time as usual. Look forward to that vacation every year
Addictedtotheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #9
We live so close to YNP that we just call it "the park." With our bumper pulls we loved staying in the Madison Junction Campground. There are no hookups, but to be in the park in the early morning with the confluence of the Gibbon and Firehole rivers within a short walk, makes staying there very special. One time there was a Bison stampede in the campground. About a dozen bison were grazing through the campground and a pet dog started barking at them. The next thing I knew there were huge animals sprinting between RVs. Lucky for us I had the pull rig snug up to the front of the trailer. One bison was headed between the gap, saw no room and veered off to back end of our trailer.

We now stay in West Yellowstone at the Grizzly RV park. Big park, well kept, but a bit pricy. It is walking distance from "down town" West Yellowstone.

The best advice I could give about the park is to avoid it during July and August. May and September are the best months. And if you get to see it in the winter (not really RV season) you will never forget it.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone
Grizzly RV Park is just two blocks from the park’s west entrance.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote