Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Traxion Tailgate Ladder and BakFlip Tonnou Cover

So here is the rub. I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with a BakFlip Tonnou Cover installed. I want to add on a Traxion tailgate ladder. Can't get 100% verification from Traxion that the ladder will install with compatibility to the BakFlip. It looks like it should, anyone else have one installed with a BakFlip?

Robot Check

Stan
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

That thing is pretty cool..

In the customer photos on your link they show one installed on a truck with a toneu cover. I have the Wesson version of a bad flip and how it locks should be clear of the tailgate. The ladder appears to mount below the upper lip of the gate.

Worst case with Amazon.. If it does jot work, send it back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

It is pretty cool. I started looking for one when I fell last month while trying to get into the bed of the truck. I figure that I will sacrifice looking cool doing a superhuman leap into the back of my truck in order to keep my good looking face intact...so I started investigating options. I've seen others that are nice, and more expensive but when you engage their customer support they all say their product won't work with bakflip.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

I wonder why? Unless the latches are not RIGHT on the end of the cover and inches from the tailgate it should have no bearing on the ladder. My latches are a foot into to bed. The only thing I could also see I'd if the ladder went right to the top of the tailgates lip, it could bind up on the rubber seal and crossbar of the cover. But in the pic I saw on amazon it was down a few inches.
Edit; after doing a superman once or twice I can relate.. I was shocked when the new truck came with a step on the STEP bumper.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Global Nomad

If by back flip you are referring to tri-fold Tonnou Cover, I have the Traxion tailgate ladder installed with that cover. The ladder clears the cover but catches the rubber stripping. I cut a 1 inch square in the stripping for the bolt of the ladder to pass through. There was no leakage of water or snow during this last storm.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #6

I have been looking at the Bestop Trekstep: here are some of their selling points. Available on amazon (like most things). Haven't bought yet since my step stool is new, but they look cool!
  • Provides easy, stair-step access to truck bed with 6" drop and 300 pound load capacity
  • Spring-loaded mechanism tucks step under rear bumper for ground clearance and hands-free drop down
  • Maintenance-free aluminum and stainless steel construction with 3-year/36,000 mile warranty
  • No drill installation to frame for solid support; installs in about 10 minutes
  • Drops down 6 inches from rear bumper

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

I have two bed steps on my 2008; 2500 Ram Mega Cab. One is behind the cab at the front of the bed on the driver side and the other is at the rear of the bed on the driver side also. These are spring loaded for easy closing and are out of the way when closed. I purchased them from Geno's Garage and the steps are made by AMP Research. See attached link. Browse Our Wholesale Truck Accessories at AMP Research
Old 02-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have two bed steps on my 2008; 2500 Ram Mega Cab. One is behind the cab at the front of the bed on the driver side and the other is at the rear of the bed on the driver side also. These are spring loaded for easy closing and are out of the way when closed. I purchased them from Geno's Garage and the steps are made by AMP Research. See attached link. Browse Our Wholesale Truck Accessories at AMP Research
I have the same one at the rear of my truck bed. I'd like a second one just in front of the wheel well, but haven't heard that it'll work with my dually. I should look again.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Well...I finally got my butt in gear and ordered the tailgate ladder. I did the install over the weekend. 30 minutes tops. Most agonizing part is actually drilling into a perfectly fine truck bed but measure 50 times and drill once right?

All in all for 50 bucks it is a great and useful addition to the truck and it in no way interferes with the BakFlip cover. The only mod I may make to it would be to replace the pins that hold the ladder to the bracket. They add a slight instability. They are there obviously so that you cam adjust the ladder on un-level ground but IMO they give a little too much sway. Well built product though and I highly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	100109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1244.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	100110  
Old 02-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Very cool. Did you just use bolts instead of pins or something else?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Very cool. Did you just use bolts instead of pins or something else?

I did not mod it yet. I think I am going to use bolts but keep the pins "just in case" it works better with them. I gotta say for 50 bucks it is a worthy add on. I like it because you don't know it's there unless you open the gate and it is a functional add on, not something that changes the base look or feel of the style of the truck.

Tags
cover