Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Trees overgrowing into road

Need an opinion.

The trees along side of my street have encroached into the road so much that I have to drive in the middle to keep the scraping to a minimum, but some of the branches are thick now and if there is a car coming down the road I will have to move over and damage might occur.

I called the city and they stated to me the "process" Was chatting with camping friends who had the same issue on their street on the other side of town and it took 4 years for the city to finally trim and a claim for a new awning.

Anyone run into similar issues?

kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Need an opinion.

The trees along side of my street have encroached into the road so much that I have to drive in the middle to keep the scraping to a minimum, but some of the branches are thick now and if there is a car coming down the road I will have to move over and damage might occur.

I called the city and they stated to me the "process" Was chatting with camping friends who had the same issue on their street on the other side of town and it took 4 years for the city to finally trim and a claim for a new awning.

Anyone run into similar issues?
My advice is to be a pain in their side. Go to every city council meeting and complain, call every city council member once a week to complain, call the mayor and city manager once a week to complain.

Write a letter to the editor of your local paper, post about it on city/neighborhood facebook/social media groups.

The city will trim those trees just to shut you up.

kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
western NC mountains!

most any rural or wooded street, especially far from city limits, and especially 'less traffic' roads will not be maintained to the same degree you might see or expect closer to town. If semi-trucks are able to travel your street or road, generally the trees will be trimmed, though 'who' is responsible to trim them might be up for grabs.
Many times, the electrical companies already do a good job of trimming because it behooves them to minimize downed electrical lines during storms, but cities or counties can be less motivated. Some roads are actually also 'private', even though they might carry a street name, and are the requirements of the homeowners, or association, to manage it.

Our rural mountain area would not be a great place to drive a large rv, especially higher fifth-wheels, and driving in the center of the road is commonplace for those that do - use the road, all of it, when needed... slow down when others approach - take your time...but, ultimately, it's on YOU to drive safely and minimize damage to your RV if you decide to drive roads that are not conducive to large vehicles. My coach is stored somewhere else, for that same reason - you would never be able to get my large coach easily to my home.

I've transported brand new diesel coaches from the RV manufactures in Elkhart and surrounding 'small towns' where the outgoing roads and streets are not NEARLY as safe for large vehicles as you would think, especially in a geographic area that is so rampant with RV manufacturers! The streets are sometimes the 'skinniest' you'll find anywhere, and the outlying roads thru Amish country are NOT designed to handle both large RVs and horse-drawn buggies, all at the same time!

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
90,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #4

I have a "pole trimmer" and have been known to remove an offending limb or two on my residential street. The city relies on Semi's to take care of tree pruning on main routes. The high trailers knock off the encroaching foliage before it turns into real "branches".

I agree with kfd82's suggestion to be a pain although I'm thinking of being a pain somewhat lower on the body. That's the only way government bureaucracies respond. When you call the public works department your complaint is logged essentially a "clerk". It then gets passed around to the decision makers who have no sense of urgency unless your road has washed out or been covered with a landslide.

Start calling City Councilmen or even the Mayor. I sent the Mayor of my town an e-mail outlining a problem we were having in our neighborhood and Public Works was stalling. Two days later I got a phone call from PW's Director and the next day service people arrived to deal with the issue. Only took them an hour but it just wasn't a priority to THEM.

If at first you don't succeed, keep bugging them. Even consider calling the local news outlet. They love to embarrass bureaucrats.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

In my city it is the responsibility of the property owner to trim their own street trees and replace them when they die. For streets without an owner or median trees the city is responsible but it could also be an HOA shared property in some cases.

The irony is people complain to the city when the trash trucks (city owned) hit the limbs on their trees. When they persist they get ticketed for failure to trim their trees. Saw this example on ring neighborhood....just saying you may want to check with property owner first if they are a neighbor before complaining to the city.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

You lucky devils!

In our county it is illeagle to park an rv in front of or on your property unless behind the house and you have a fence tall enough to block seeing it.

Above 12 is forbidden. No fiver.

Problem solved.

We are fortunate our storage lot is 5 miles away. The owner does not care what we do there.

We also have a state park 12 miles away with full utility spots..
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
You lucky devils!

In our county it is illeagle to park an rv in front of or on your property unless behind the house and you have a fence tall enough to block seeing it.

Above 12 is forbidden. No fiver.

Problem solved.

We are fortunate our storage lot is 5 miles away. The owner does not care what we do there.

We also have a state park 12 miles away with full utility spots..
I am not that lucky...I cannot park it in front for more than 1 night every month. Even when I do that neighbors complained to HOA. I cannot park it permanently anywhere on my property. City has similar ordnance as yours and they only allow 8ft fence so you have to use a berm but HOA is way worse and neighbors suck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I am not that lucky...I cannot park it in front for more than 1 night every month. Even when I do that neighbors complained to HOA. I cannot park it permanently anywhere on my property. City has similar ordnance as yours and they only allow 8ft fence so you have to use a berm but HOA is way worse and neighbors suck.
One homeowner who was tired of HOA rules and threats of fines expressed himself when he built the new fence, probably to conceal his waste bins.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #9

Do you mind lying??

Call the city and maybe the non emergency police line. Tell them a child almost got ran over because someone was dodging limbs in a parcel delivery truck. AND you are extremely afraid one of the children are going to be hurt or killed and you would hate for the city to be liable.

Bout one week to fix
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #10

TitanMike has the right idea. Probably easiest just to go out on a Sunday and trim some of them yourself.

A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote