Old 09-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to Discipline39
Trip planning

Hi everyone. I tried to search this but found very little useful info. Half the fun of a long trip... is planning it. Having said that, having assistance is very helpful. I am very familiar with AAA but was wondering if other companies do as good a job at preparing "Trip Tics". I am planning a trip from Maine to Myrtle Beach (early Nov.) and want to have a most enjoyable trip down as well as my stay. I have heard horror stories of traveling I95 (particularly from Philly thru DC). So, my 2 part question: Is AAA, Good Sam, AARP, Coach-Net, all about the same? (Do they all even offer trip planning?). And part 2: any advise for the travel down & back would be greatly appreciated. My TV is an F150 hauling a Wildwood X-Lite 262. Just my DW & I.
I am relatively new at this so I welcome any and all suggestions.

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 ECO
Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Discipline39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Commercial Member
I use a combination of Garmin GPS and their free map/trip planner program "Base Camp".
I can quickly identify places I want to visit, stop for fuel or meal. confirm miles and approx travel time for each day etc. When done with my planning I can transfer all the stops to the GPS and that will guide me from spot to spot.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Rte 84 to 81 is a good route that will take you around NYC and DC and have some pretty views. It also has the added benefit of missing all the tolls in NY and NJ. I used this route to FL this past Spring.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Many people like this: Downside is that it costs $40 per year as opposed to Good Sam but GS is very selective about campgrounds they show. Tripwizard seems to be very complete. But then AAA is not free either. Seems to have a lot of options.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote