Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Trip planning app

Anybody have recommendation for a trip plant app that allows you to avoid certain areas.

For example, I want to avoid the main expressway that runs through a major city.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #2

Why not get a Garmin gps and set it to avoid the expressway. My Garmin RV760 will keep me on the bypass
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Why not get a Garmin gps and set it to avoid the expressway. My Garmin RV760 will keep me on the bypass

Good though, but I’d rather find an app for my phone. Thanks though!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Grammar Pedant

Google Maps allows you to select your path if there are areas you want to avoid. It also allows you to avoid freeways, tolls, and other things in the route settings. If that's all you want to do (avoid certain expressways), then I'd just stick with the simple maps program.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Good though, but I’d rather find an app for my phone. Thanks though!

Doesn’t a apps use data? On my Garmin I can set for whatever roads I want to avoid. What the height of my camper is and how wide plus how long the camper and vehicle is. Plus it will tell me all the rest stops, fuel stations and restaurants up ahead. It can be set for auto or rv. If you happen to make a wrong turn it will get you back on track. I use Waze to tell me how the road is up ahead, accidents road work. If you are pulling a camper you pretty much have to stay on the road but it will show you how to drive around. I use paper maps too
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Google Maps allows you to select your path if there are areas you want to avoid. It also allows you to avoid freeways, tolls, and other things in the route settings. If that's all you want to do (avoid certain expressways), then I'd just stick with the simple maps program.

Thanks. I was unaware it did that. That’s exactly what I want to do. We are planning a trip to Hocking Hills and I don’t want to cut thru the gut of Columbus.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Doesn’t a apps use data? On my Garmin I can set for whatever roads I want to avoid. What the height of my camper is and how wide plus how long the camper and vehicle is. Plus it will tell me all the rest stops, fuel stations and restaurants up ahead. It can be set for auto or rv. If you happen to make a wrong turn it will get you back on track. I use Waze to tell me how the road is up ahead, accidents road work. If you are pulling a camper you pretty much have to stay on the road but it will show you how to drive around. I use paper maps too

Yea, it does use data but not really an issue to me. I’ll keep the Garmin in mind for when we do more long trips. I was just looking for help planning a longer vacation outside state.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
Thanks. I was unaware it did that. That’s exactly what I want to do. We are planning a trip to Hocking Hills and I don’t want to cut thru the gut of Columbus.
I would also recommend Google Maps. In addition to the features already listed, Maps lets you call up alternate routes with comparison travel times at any point.

You can also download a route in advance to 1) save on data, and 2) in case you run out of cell signal (pretty common in the less settled areas of Utah and Colorado). With no cell service, Maps works fine with the GPS in your phone, but has no traffic updates.

Downside to Google Maps (free) is that restaurants and hotels pay Google for your position so that they can pop up on your map when you get near. I have tweaked my settings so that I don't get e-mails or texts, but I do get a position on the map (I'm OK with that for the functionality of Maps).

Hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote