Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
The big 5th wheel will work as long as you don't get in a hurry going up, or down, the Alcan. Give yourself plenty of time. We have planned our 2018 trip with short daily distances. The days are long and there is a lot to see. Spending two, or three, hours at 30 MPH won't kill you.

However, when we went in 2014, one full timer family parked their big 5th wheel and bought a used 24 ft travel trailer for the trip. They guessed that the fuel expense saved would go along way toward any loss that they might take on the TT. Two people and two cats made the trip. They cleaned up the TT when they got home and sold it for $200 more than they paid for it. A win all around.
Hmmmm... solid idea! Thank you again!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
This is a great report Larry. We surely passed each other somewhere. All the "problems/slowdowns/unexpected happenings" would not deter me from doing the trip again. Alaska is absolutely amazing.
We arrived in Tok on July 2 and came out from there on August 11. We found Whitehorse to Destruction Bay badly frost heaved going up and graded and gravelled on the way back. In construction zones you encounter either severe dust or a good coating of mud made up of very gritty rock dust. Coming back down the Alaska Highway was slower and had more construction areas than going up. We contributed at most overnight stops to the local car/RV wash.
We agree about Valdez and its beauty. Capt. Stan of the Lu-Lu Belle was one of a kind with a Wikipedia mind. We saw most all of the same places you describe in addition to Homer, Soldotna, Skagway, Haines, Seward.
You did get a mechanics workout it seems, while we were fortunate to lose no tires or windshield.
We came back into the states at Lynden Wa. Travelled down through WA, across OR, through ID, CO, NM, TX, into OK. We are in Oklahoma City today, headed to Atlanta to see grandkids, then home to Kentucky. Left there May 6 and should return around Sept. 15. so far 16,000 plus miles.
We were adopted by a 45' Prevost with an Explorer toad and a 42' Tropi-Cal towing a Jeep Rubicon in Whitehorse. They had 3 previous trips each on this road and knew all the places to see and stay. There were some places they knew to stay out of because of size but we really encountered none of those restrictions. I agree though that a truck camper with toad transportation would be my choice for the next trip.
We drove to the Arctic Circle but did not take the TT. All gravel/mud it is a truckers road, get out of their way.
My diesel dually proved its worth and has performed flawlessly. I am committed to my TST TPMS and its constant flow of vital information. The Hensley hitch is something I will not give up either.
Thanks again for your detailed report.
Travel safe

2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Thanks for sharing. Recognize a lot of the places you mention. In 2016 we did the trip from White Rock BC (south of Vancouver ) to Deadhorse at the Arctic Ocean in Alaska. Spent a lot of time wandering around Alaska for a total of 16500KM (10000miles +\-) . Fortunately NO breakdowns or repairs required even though our trip included the 850 miles of gravel return north of Fairbanks. We love the " road less travelled"!
Floyd & Carolyn
2012 F150 S/crew 4X4 6.2L 6Spd Tow Max Firestone airbags.
2011 28RKS Wildcat. Yamaha 3000iseb Generator.
2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights +14300KM
2016. 63 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
What a trip of a lifetime! I will be going back and re-reading more of your entry. We are just north of you in Orange County. Next trip wave at us as you pass Beach Cities off the I-5 !😎👍
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
What a great detailed report of your travels, awesome job! I will go some day, just not sure if I'll drive it or fly up and rent.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #16
(Dry Huunday)
Great write up! Thanks!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Enjoyed the report. We did the same trip in 2014, except we were driving from Oklahoma. Totalled 11,485 miles. We found the roads in Alaska, including the Denali Highway, to be less troublesome than the Alaska Highway in Canada. I blew out four trailer tires (that's all of them!) and replaced all the tires on my pickup as well. Haven't had a flat since.
2014 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
Eaz-Lift 48703 Trekker
2009 Ford F-150
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #18
We did the Denali highway in a Jeep. I can not imagine pulling a trailer over that road.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is online now   Reply With Quote