Old 07-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

I've been over the TransCanada and up/back the Alcan twice, once in 2001 and again in 2011, both times pulling a large 5th wheel. Roads must have gotten worst since the last trip as I only encountered occasional 3 or 4 mile long areas being reworked. Frost heaves, or more correctly "thaw drops" are a constant danger and cost me the pin box beam - $5000 repair- and one week stopover on last trip.

On the issue of guns, raised by one of the replies, just Google "carrying guns from US into Canada". I carried a lever action 30-30 carbine and a double barrel 12 ga. shotgun and about 20 rounds for each on both trips. Not a problem if you follow the letter of the Canada regulations (barrel length, no large clips, no semi-autos, no handguns, ammo and weapons stored separately under lock and key) when carrying them in and have filled out the paperwork that you can download from the internet. Just be sure to tell them that you are in transit to Alaska and plan to use primitive camping sites. My experience is no problems and the border officers appreciate you being knowledgeable and prepared when you cross.

Alaska is largely commercialized now, but the trip through Canada is the real thing!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Don't think I want to take our Cardinal 5 th wheel on those roads.

Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

Lucky was right about the road from Anchorage to Tok via Glen Allen. We met a huge boat/small ship waiting for night fall I guess to finish the trip to Anchorage. It was wider than both sides of the road. I think it was some kind of fishing boat. We could not figure out the logic of taking the boat that way rather than by sea. There were times we had to stop when meeting a car so they could get by us with our 32' fifth wheel......It was scary on that road.....
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #14
Looking Down Range

Great information! We traveled the Alaska Highway (no longer called the Alcan) in 1989 and again in 1992 towing a new 32' travel trailer up and back. Wouldn't do it again unless we had an old unit that we didn't care if it got damaged.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

I know two people who have driven motor homes to Alaska and both had to replace the windshield when home. I think that is a little adventuresome for this guy. Relatively sure all Alaskan travel will involve Royal Caribbean.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #16

Firearms in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.
The last I checked you could carry a long gun (rifle or shotgun) into and through Canada, just no pistols.

If it were me and I were concerned about critters (the 2 legged and 4 legged kind) Id carry a short barreled shotgun (18" legal barrel of course) with buckshot and slugs. Both are good protection, buckshot for 2 legged and slugs for 4 legged animals.

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #17

My advise to any one taking an rv to Alaska. If you are in a big hurry you may as well stay home. The majority of the roads are not high speed highways. Along the Alaska Highway in Canada if you can do 10-15 miles per hour you are flying. They have to do so many repairs there are a lot of stop and wait sections of the road for repairs being made. They do mark the road with flags, small flags for small heaves and large flags for large heaves. If you ignore them you will tear up your rv. Some think they can take a 2 week vacation and drive to Alaska and see every thing and return to the lower 48. It Is possible if you fly to Alaska and rent an rv then fly home......STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES and you will have a very beautiful and uneventful trip.....
Old 07-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Day View Post
I know two people who have driven motor homes to Alaska and both had to replace the windshield when home. I think that is a little adventuresome for this guy. Relatively sure all Alaskan travel will involve Royal Caribbean.
I lived in AK for 10 years. the cruises are nice, very pretty scenery, but you Will NOT have seen Alaska from a boat!

It is not a place for the feint of heart. But for those hearty enough to face up to the challenges that being in the last wilderness in our country, it is an experience unmatched anywhere else I know of.

For me, I will ride the boat when I am too feeble to get around in my 5th wheel. At 66 Im nowhere near that yet though.

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #19

Does everyone loose a windshield on that trip?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Great information! We traveled the Alaska Highway (no longer called the Alcan) in 1989 and again in 1992 towing a new 32' travel trailer up and back. Wouldn't do it again unless we had an old unit that we didn't care if it got damaged.
I think it would be a great trip except for all the damage that occurs therefore it's a trip I will not make. Hate to think of repair expenses and can not afford to buy another unit. Sounds like no matter how careful you drive stuff is going to happen traveling there. I'll stick to lower 48. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote