Old 07-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I think it would be a great trip except for all the damage that occurs therefore it's a trip I will not make. Hate to think of repair expenses and can not afford to buy another unit. Sounds like no matter how careful you drive stuff is going to happen traveling there. I'll stick to lower 48.
X2!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #22

The only damage I am aware of on my RV during the trip to Alaska is a chip in the windshield about the size of a nickel. I upgraded my RV insurance to zero deductible on glass before I left so insurance will cover 100% of that repair. Amazingly I had no flat tires although I did invest in a TPMS system before the trip so I could keep a close eye on tire pressures and tire temperatures. I got the Eeztire TPMS system but am sure any reliable TPMS system will be a large benefit.

I did have my engine oil and air filter changed as soon as I got home and I have never seen a dirtier engine air filter in my life, almost totally black and filled with all sorts of tiny insects. Those gravel roads really ruin your air filter. I only have about 10,000 total miles on the RV after the trip.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I guess it's just me but we made the trip last year with a new 36' Crusader and a 2015 3500 GMC Denali. Traveled 12,780 mi. Round trip from south central PA to Alaska and back with no issues. No flat tires, body damage or broken windshields, just a few dings in the paint on the Denali.

Absolutely the trip of a lifetime. We hope to go back in about 2 years. Just take your time and enjoy the ride and drive with some common sense.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
2015 FR3 25DS

We're headed up in about 10 days. Pretty excited, although nervous for both the RV and our dolly toad!
Old 07-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #25

upcoming trip

We are leaving for Alaska this coming Saturday. Your message will certainly be a help. I hope we have all we need. How about stores for groceries and supplies?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #26

Alaska in 2014

We made the Alaska trip from Northeastern Oklahoma (and back) in 2014. No damage to the pickup or TT but did blow out all four tires eventually on the trailer. The roads in Canada are tough, but the wildlife and the scenery are worth the trip of a lifetime. Actually, the roads in southern Alberta and BC are just like the ones at home, but the northern third of each of those provinces can be hard on the tires. As for the Yukon, it's a whole other story. Watch for the orange cones! Coming home on the Cassiar highway (western BC), you experience wilderness that makes you wonder if you'll ever see civilization again. But you eventually reach it!
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggardener View Post
We are leaving for Alaska this coming Saturday. Your message will certainly be a help. I hope we have all we need. How about stores for groceries and supplies?
There are stores and even Walmarts but prices for food are substantially higher in Canada. For example a small package of bologna might cost $2 or $3 in the U.S. but cost $7 or $8 in Canada. However the exchange rate is favorable to the U.S. right now so if you charge $100 on your credit card in Canada, you will only be billed about $80 on your credit card plus a foreign transaction fee of 3%, at least that is how it worked on my credit card.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #28

Thanks for the information....I don't know if I'll ever get to do it, but it sounds like quite an adventure!
Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #29
Looking Down Range

Don't mean to dampen anyone's spirits. We're just speaking from our experience and it sounds like the conditions are still much the same. We got a couple of rock chips, but didn't crack the windshield; however, we had multiple rock chips and dents on the front of our pickup and trailer AND we blew a tire twice on the trailer -- one which tore out the fiberglass skirt. We had a spare the first time and the second time the tire had to be replaced. We stopped at a gas station and were given two options: wait for one to be delivered (flown in, as he didn't stock anything but heavy equipment tires) or go to the back of the building and pick out one from the huge pile of tires for a mere $75! Mind you, this was back in 1989/1992! Also, be prepared to spend $$ for food, snacks, etc. Plenty of logging trucks, too, that won't give you an inch and they are in high gear! We saw several rigs with screens and even plexi-glass attached to the fronts of their rigs. Completely understandable!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #30

Where did you start your trip from?