Old 07-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #31
Looking Down Range

We started our trip from Rantoul, Illinois.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #32
Looking Down Range

By the way, we went up in March (due to military transfer) when the roads were pretty much snow-packed and still had this kind of trouble.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I've been over the TransCanada and up/back the Alcan twice, once in 2001 and again in 2011, both times pulling a large 5th wheel. Roads must have gotten worst since the last trip as I only encountered occasional 3 or 4 mile long areas being reworked. Frost heaves, or more correctly "thaw drops" are a constant danger and cost me the pin box beam - $5000 repair- and one week stopover on last trip.

On the issue of guns, raised by one of the replies, just Google "carrying guns from US into Canada". I carried a lever action 30-30 carbine and a double barrel 12 ga. shotgun and about 20 rounds for each on both trips. Not a problem if you follow the letter of the Canada regulations (barrel length, no large clips, no semi-autos, no handguns, ammo and weapons stored separately under lock and key) when carrying them in and have filled out the paperwork that you can download from the internet. Just be sure to tell them that you are in transit to Alaska and plan to use primitive camping sites. My experience is no problems and the border officers appreciate you being knowledgeable and prepared when you cross.

Alaska is largely commercialized now, but the trip through Canada is the real thing!
Thanks so much for that info. Changes my whole outlook on taking that trip. Now I'm getting excited. It's probably 4 years away, but I'm going to start making my plans now.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #34

Thanks. We want to make that trip and will be starting from Bay City Michigan. I would like to stay south of the border as long as we can and to have a short stop at Glacier NP.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #35

Canada and Alaska with Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.
We went up in 2014. The previous winter must have been milder. We had about fifty miles of gravel on the Alcan. As for Firearms. If you really want a pistol, ship it to yourself in TOK at General Delivery. Ship it disassembled in two boxes. No problems, or issues. The contents are parts.

Forget about pistols in Canada. However, if you want long guns, shotguns, or rifles, go the CMP web site and print out the required form. You pay $25 Canadian at the border and may list up to three guns on the form. If you want to take more, there is an extension form and you simply list more. The $25 dollar cost is the same for one, or ten. It will take a little extra time at the first border crossing into Canada. One of the inspectors will want to see each piece and verify it against the document before stamping it. It added about ten minutes for us wit two pieces. No hrad, just paperwork.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #36

Taking a long gun thru Canada requires a lot of paperwork. Taking a pistol is illegal. I took the Coachman Caravan to Alaska last year. Another caravan company did all of the stops that we did. One of their travelers got stopped by customs and searched coming out of Skagway. His pistol was confiscated, he was detained then escourted out of Canada and fined $2000. He is not allowed to ever return to Canada. Don't take your gun to Canada.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #37

All I can say is "If you are afraid to get your toys dirty and scratched up stay at home". Other than that hitch up and get up here, it is beyond believably pretty and nice and cool.
Just got back from a day trip to Homer and I am staying with friends in Kenai.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #38
RailwayRog

Just returned from Alaska, did the loop including Seward, Valdez and Hyder.
Certainly agree with the OP, including broken windshield.
Ya, if you have a new RV it certainly will be well broken in after this trip.
I will also add this, before I left I replaced all 4 shocks with Koni's, Hellwig sway bar and installed front Sumo springs. Along with the standard stuff like new tires and TPMS.
My suspension got a work out over the frost heaves and it rode fairly nice considering carrying a full load. And it doesn't help I do speed limit where most RVer's were travelling way below the speed limit, which I can't blame them.
So expect delays and slow going.
My highlight was camping in Denail Teklanika Campground for 4 nights and catching the first shuttle bus into the park, lots of wildlife and before all the yahoo tourist show up.
Left Hyder two days and the fish and the bears are just starting to show up.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #39

Thanks for the trip update!!! Great information. We are putting together our trip out of Southern California first week in May 2020. Also have the Milepost magazine for additional guidance. I have 992 work days left.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckeehne View Post
Thanks for the trip update!!! Great information. We are putting together our trip out of Southern California first week in May 2020. Also have the Milepost magazine for additional guidance. I have 992 work days left.
You mentioned the "Milepost" so I thought I should mention the books that I found very helpful for the Alaskan trip:

The current year edition of the "Milepost" book and the "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping" are essential to have in my opinion. Another book I found helpful but not quite as essential is the "Guide to the Alaskan Highway". i highly recommend all 3 books for reading prior to your trip and for reference during your trip. I purchased all 3 books from Amazon.