Old 07-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #41

The other thing I forgot to mention is cell service while travelling through Canada.
I have AT&T and purchased the International plan (not sure what would happen with out it), it really doesn't offer much. I bought the $30 plan and had to bump it up to the the $60 plan account of data overages (email and goggle maps) which are very limited and hard to track plus a dollar a minute talk time (I did not talk to anyone while in Canada), BUT free texting, good luck with this one.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #42

You can also fly to Anchorage and rent a Motorhome there. If you are worried about yours or if you don't have the time to make the trip up and back by road it is a very viable alternative.

We do not prefer it because we prefer to park our 5er and use it as a base camp while we go exploring the area in our truck.

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #43

We are leaving Dallas on the 31st. Flying into Anchorage and renting a RV for two weeks.
I will report on the experience when we return.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #44

May I be of assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
We are leaving Dallas on the 31st. Flying into Anchorage and renting a RV for two weeks.
I will report on the experience when we return.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I lived in The Great Land for 10 years so I may be able to be of some assistance to you. I LOVED the place!

My first suggestion is if you don't already have one, buy a copy of "The Milepost". It is a book found at any Barnes & Noble or other booksellers in the travel section. It describes every road leading to and within AK mile by mile as to what is there to see do, etc. Everyone I ever knew who lived there owns on in their car. Buy it before you leave, study it for things to do and places to go. It is invaluable.

Second, you said you are flying into Anchorage and renting a Motor Home. A good choice. If you wish to tell me in a PM where you are thinking of going and your interests I will try and recommend some things to see and do.

In Any event, I am certain you will have the time of your life!

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #45
2012 Solera

When we went in 2013, we put the Solera on the ferry at Prince Rupert BC and took the ferry to Haines Alaska. Joined the Alcan at Haines Junction. We did take the Alcan back after touring Alaska (Wrangel St Elias, Kenai, Denali, Fairbanks, Tok). Great trip. Ferry ride added great coastal waterways and lots of sea life. Also, cut out a lot of the more difficult sections of the Alcan.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #46

Two comments:
1. There are several credit cards that offer no foreign currency exchange fees and no annual fee, I just picked one up from AAA.
2. If you get an "unlocked" cell phone, you can grab a Canadian (or other country) SIM card. As long as you insure that the phone supports the wireless network bands in whatever country you are in, you are good to go - and a lot cheaper than using an international plan. I use an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought from Best Buy. I used BB because they are factory authorized so I got full warranty protection. Home cell service is ATT, works with no issues that locked phones don't have.
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #47

Alaska

Good morning from Valdez, ALASKA!
That Alaska highway is a true mess in a lot of spots, travelers we have met and travelled with DID get broken glass, you will most likely lose a tire or two, things in your rig will appear to have been put through a blender, if you are in a hurry: stay home, phone service for those who are too connected will disappoint you, dirt, dust, mud on and in everything, prices in Canada will stun you.....all that said, I would come back tomorrow!!!!
You cannot imagine the beauty of this trip or the enjoyment of seeing something more awesome around every turn.
Hiking, fishing, critter watching, visiting with people. This is truly a trip of a lifetime. If you stop to visit with people who live along your travel route, you will meet some of the most interesting folks ever.
We left Kentucky on May 6. We spent 5-6 weeks getting to Canada, 3 weeks traveling through, we will be in Alaska 5-6 weeks before heading south through Canada to exit at Vancouver, then another month to return home. We are already talking about returning next year.
This place is worth whatever bumps in the road you encounter to arrive.
Read all the mentioned books, get all the info at visitors centers, prepare your rig and JUST DO IT!
Travel safe
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #48

X2 What FordHauler says. Once here it's all good plus you will find out just how good you are at prepping out your rig. If you even think it will jiggle around, pad it, brace it or maybe leave it home.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #49
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Two comments:
1. There are several credit cards that offer no foreign currency exchange fees and no annual fee, I just picked one up from AAA.
2. If you get an "unlocked" cell phone, you can grab a Canadian (or other country) SIM card. As long as you insure that the phone supports the wireless network bands in whatever country you are in, you are good to go - and a lot cheaper than using an international plan. I use an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought from Best Buy. I used BB because they are factory authorized so I got full warranty protection. Home cell service is ATT, works with no issues that locked phones don't have.
X2. Just returned from a trip to Grasslands, Banff and Jasper Canadian NPs. Our UAL Mileage Plus Explorer Visa had no foreign exchange charge (from what I can tell from the bill) and got better exchange rates than I could have gotten.
We bought a Telus SIM card in Saskatchewan. As we were going to Banff, they assigned us a number that would be local in the Banff area. We used it in my wife's unlocked iPhone 6. Worked great - about 1G of data, about $60 US, we used the iPhone to set up a hot spot for our iPads. As I remember, included unlimited local calls and text, also received calls. Very limited outgoing long distance - one about 10 minute call to the US used that allocation up.
If your phone is locked, an unlocked Android phone on Amazon can be had for about $50.
I don't know which Canadian carrier would be best for the Alcan.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
X2. Just returned from a trip to Grasslands, Banff and Jasper Canadian NPs. Our UAL Mileage Plus Explorer Visa had no foreign exchange charge (from what I can tell from the bill) and got better exchange rates than I could have gotten.
We bought a Telus SIM card in Saskatchewan. As we were going to Banff, they assigned us a number that would be local in the Banff area. We used it in my wife's unlocked iPhone 6. Worked great - about 1G of data, about $60 US, we used the iPhone to set up a hot spot for our iPads. As I remember, included unlimited local calls and text, also received calls. Very limited outgoing long distance - one about 10 minute call to the US used that allocation up.
If your phone is locked, an unlocked Android phone on Amazon can be had for about $50.
I don't know which Canadian carrier would be best for the Alcan.
We had both an AT&T and a T-Mobile phone with. The T-Mobile phone worked OK on the Alaskan Highway in some parts, but the AT&T phone had zero coverage for most of the 1500 mile Alaskan highway.