Old 08-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #51
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.
Most rifles and shotguns are legal to have. Just some paperwork to fill out.

2003 Ram 1500 5.7L
2008 Surveyory 264
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #52
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.

Dont even think about taking a handgun, a long gun is a nightmare of
paperwork,best bet is bear spray and it better have a picture of a bear on it
12,000 mile veteran of the yukon and alcan highway

NRA endowment member

G.A. Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #53
Hello 41Chevy

Hey, We are in Denton. About sixty miles from you. We went to Alaska and back in 2014 and are part of a group of mostly FR owners that are going up in May of 2018. The idea is to take up to 20 rigs and by sharing the tasks have a tour very similar to the commercial tours, but without the overhead of the tour company. At this time we have seventeen rigs signed up. Let me know if you are interested in more detail. My email address is
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #54
Wife and I did the trip 5 years ago. Best trip ever. Pulled a 19 ft trailer. In 2 months, we drove every paved and semipaved rd up there. People were great and fishing was fun. We were warned of the roads but only suffered a few chips of paint in the truck. There were plenty of rocks thrown by oncommong traffic but you just slow down and pull to the right as far as safety will allow. Lost no tires. Look for the flags on the side of the road marking the frost heaves. Our greatest adventure was Lake Creek provincial park the night before reaching AK. I guess lake creek in Canadian means that the nearby creek turns into a lake at night/after hours. We were reading by natural light around 11:30 pm and got a knock on the bedroom window. A bicycler yells "Hey, dude, see what's happening here?" We were in about a foot of water. Out to the truck as is and we floated the camper out the quarter mile trip out to the AlCan. 3 months later, water was still dripping out in our driveway at home. We cross the country every summer and are planning another AK trip within the next 2 years.
safetychain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #55
Lessons learned going to Alaska

We've been home a week from a road trip to Alaska. Roads are terrible. Make sure you have high rated tires on your vehicles. We got a flat in a Construction zone and ended up buying new E rated tires for our new truck. Go slow, very slow. We pulled a fifth wheel Primetime trailer and love it. once you get to Alaska you don't need to stay in campgrounds all the time. Alaska has many turnouts in beautiful places that you can spend the night. You will be driving slow due to poor road conditions. Remember to pull over and let traffic pass you
lynn6304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #56

We are considering this trip next year pulling our 32 ft TT with a Ford 250 Super Duty. Have no problem with the mountains in Montana and Idaho, not sure about further north, looking for a little advise??
lindacolleen47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #57
You won't have any trouble with the mountains in Canada or Alaska, per se. They're no worse than the ones in the Pacific Northwest.
2014 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
Eaz-Lift 48703 Trekker
2009 Ford F-150
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #58
Trip to Alaska lessons learns

My advise it to make sure you have high rated tires due to all the road construction. Just drive slow through the mountains. If you didn't have problems in Montana you won't have problems going to Alaska. We were told to buy the book Milepost and it was a great help. It tells you mile by mile what to expect for the roads. Have fun.
lynn6304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #59
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Alaska in our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS. We were there the last 2 weeks of June and the 1st week of July.

1. The Alaskan summer nights are awesome, it never even comes close to getting dark. There is still sunshine at midnight, the sun goes down to a dusk level around 1 AM but there is still plenty of light out and then rises to full sunshine again by about 4 AM. People are outside enjoying the sunny evenings until very late.

2. The best wildlife viewing while traveling was along the Alaskan highway going through the Yukon in Canada. We kept a log for each day of everything we saw while driving which included black bears, brown bears, moose, caribou, deer, wolves, porcupines, billy goats, sheep and many large herds of bison that would walk along the shoulder of the road and sometimes right on the road.

3. I was impressed with the Ford V10 engine which got us up the steepest mountain grades without straining too much. Traveling to Alaska requires going up and down mountain ranges day after day so you need to feel comfortable driving through mountains.

4. Some of the narrowest stretches of road were on the GlenAllen highway which goes from Anchorage to Tok Alaska. You travel up some very steep mountains on very narrow lanes of road with no shoulders or guard rails. This also allows some of the most awesome views but can be intimidating trying to drive up those grades on such narrow roads.

5. The 1500 mile Alaskan highway was in worse condition than I expected. Before I left I had heard that there would be the occasional mile of gravel road during road construction along the highway but I encountered over 150 miles of gravel roads in several 20 or 30 mile stretches of gravel road. In some cases the old road surface had been removed but gravel had not been laid down yet which resulted in large potholes every few feet and kept speeds down to 5 to 10 mph for extended periods. I also ended up with a damaged windshield from all the gravel.

6. There is little or no cell phone coverage along the 1500 mile Alaskan highway. Many campsites along that highway advertise that they have free wi-fi available for campers. However, in reality most of the campsites had no wi-fi at all even though they advertised it or had wi-fi available for 30 minutes and was so slow it was totally unusable for anything at all. Don't count on wi-fi being available at campsites along the Alaskan highway.

7. Gas is sold by the liter in Canada rather than by the gallon like in the U.S. Prices for gas in Canada varies widely and ranges from about $1 per liter ($4 per gallon) on the low end up to almost $7 per gallon on the high end. As soon as you cross the border into Alaska, gas prices drop down to about $2.70 per gallon.

8. Canada does not have freeways similar to the U.S. The trans Canada highways 1 and 16 still end up going through heavy city traffic and many stoplights as you go through major cities such as Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon etc.

Great info..... We did BC, Yukon and Alaska (and part of North West Territories) in 2014. It is a wonderful trip and we will go again in the next 5 years.

Part of the trip we traveled with two more parties in a small caravan. Lots of fun but a bit more to consider.

If anyone is interested I have 47 blog posts from our trip, leaving our home on Cortes Island and return. Part one here

Anders Cortes Island, BC. Canada

Pony: 2008 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #60
Alaska trip in 2011

We completed the Alaska holiday in June 2011. At that time the Alaska highway was all paved with a few miles here and there under reconstruction. Best sightings for Grizzly was in the Yukon and Northern BC. We saw a mother grizzly with 2 year old cubs right along the highway eating dandelions. In northern BC we saw a mother grizzly with 2 new cubs about 50 feet from the highway. One cub was brown the other black. It was a trip of a lifetime that we took over 9 weeks (20,000 km or 12,000 miles) from Ontario to Seward Alaska.

Can't wait to go back again. The highlight was camping in the Yukon and northern BC. Absolutely beautiful country.

Ontario Sam is offline   Reply With Quote