Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Trip to Alaska - Lessons Learned

Just returned from a trip to Alaska in our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS. We were there the last 2 weeks of June and the 1st week of July.

1. The Alaskan summer nights are awesome, it never even comes close to getting dark. There is still sunshine at midnight, the sun goes down to a dusk level around 1 AM but there is still plenty of light out and then rises to full sunshine again by about 4 AM. People are outside enjoying the sunny evenings until very late.

2. The best wildlife viewing while traveling was along the Alaskan highway going through the Yukon in Canada. We kept a log for each day of everything we saw while driving which included black bears, brown bears, moose, caribou, deer, wolves, porcupines, billy goats, sheep and many large herds of bison that would walk along the shoulder of the road and sometimes right on the road.

3. I was impressed with the Ford V10 engine which got us up the steepest mountain grades without straining too much. Traveling to Alaska requires going up and down mountain ranges day after day so you need to feel comfortable driving through mountains.

4. Some of the narrowest stretches of road were on the GlenAllen highway which goes from Anchorage to Tok Alaska. You travel up some very steep mountains on very narrow lanes of road with no shoulders or guard rails. This also allows some of the most awesome views but can be intimidating trying to drive up those grades on such narrow roads.

5. The 1500 mile Alaskan highway was in worse condition than I expected. Before I left I had heard that there would be the occasional mile of gravel road during road construction along the highway but I encountered over 150 miles of gravel roads in several 20 or 30 mile stretches of gravel road. In some cases the old road surface had been removed but gravel had not been laid down yet which resulted in large potholes every few feet and kept speeds down to 5 to 10 mph for extended periods. I also ended up with a damaged windshield from all the gravel.

6. There is little or no cell phone coverage along the 1500 mile Alaskan highway. Many campsites along that highway advertise that they have free wi-fi available for campers. However, in reality most of the campsites had no wi-fi at all even though they advertised it or had wi-fi available for 30 minutes and was so slow it was totally unusable for anything at all. Don't count on wi-fi being available at campsites along the Alaskan highway.

7. Gas is sold by the liter in Canada rather than by the gallon like in the U.S. Prices for gas in Canada varies widely and ranges from about $1 per liter ($4 per gallon) on the low end up to almost $7 per gallon on the high end. As soon as you cross the border into Alaska, gas prices drop down to about $2.70 per gallon.

8. Canada does not have freeways similar to the U.S. The trans Canada highways 1 and 16 still end up going through heavy city traffic and many stoplights as you go through major cities such as Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon etc.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

That is absolutely fascinating information! Thanks for posting. That trip is on my bucket list one day, but right now we're doing good to make it out of the southeast.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, we are considering this trip in the future
Old 07-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

RE: #5....

When we traveled the ALCAN, it was ALL gravel. Of course, that was in 1962. Can't wait to make the trip with my DW some day.

Thanks for the info. Very useful information!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Alaska in our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS. We were there the last 2 weeks of June and the 1st week of July
8. Canada does not have freeways similar to the U.S. The trans Canada highways 1 and 16 still end up going through heavy city traffic and many stoplights as you go through major cities such as Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon etc.
Actually most large Canadian cities have ring roads to bypass them without going through the city, although there might be a traffic light or two. They are definitely not like your interstates. Safe travels.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #7

I am still in Alaska, been here since June 7th. Right now I am staying with an old friend and hooked up in his yard and making day trips around the Kenai peninsula. Probably won't head back south until sometime in August.
Went out on a charter boat out of Seward yesterday. I caught the second largest Halibut plus two rockfish. Let one small Halibut go hoping for another big one. You are allowed two per day. That's me 3rd from the right half in the shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fish Gang.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	113511  
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #8

Man, you got your priorities right! Halibut and rockfish- the best fish there is. You can keep your salmon. I'll take the other any day of the week!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #9

A friend and I rode our dual sport Yamaha Teneres up the Alcan last June from Phoenix. We also saw Muskox near Deadhorse. Rode back to Tok, up to Dawson City and down the Cassiar on the way back. Had cell phone coverage every night except for when we stayed at Coldfoot and Hyder AK. Best road trip I have ever been on. My wife retires next May and we are planning a road trip with the MH pulling one of my bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	161.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	113519  
Old 07-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #10

Thanks for the report! We will be leading a Caravan to Alaska in 2018
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

I've been over the TransCanada and up/back the Alcan twice, once in 2001 and again in 2011, both times pulling a large 5th wheel. Roads must have gotten worst since the last trip as I only encountered occasional 3 or 4 mile long areas being reworked. Frost heaves, or more correctly "thaw drops" are a constant danger and cost me the pin box beam - $5000 repair- and one week stopover on last trip.

On the issue of guns, raised by one of the replies, just Google "carrying guns from US into Canada". I carried a lever action 30-30 carbine and a double barrel 12 ga. shotgun and about 20 rounds for each on both trips. Not a problem if you follow the letter of the Canada regulations (barrel length, no large clips, no semi-autos, no handguns, ammo and weapons stored separately under lock and key) when carrying them in and have filled out the paperwork that you can download from the internet. Just be sure to tell them that you are in transit to Alaska and plan to use primitive camping sites. My experience is no problems and the border officers appreciate you being knowledgeable and prepared when you cross.

Alaska is largely commercialized now, but the trip through Canada is the real thing!
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Don't think I want to take our Cardinal 5 th wheel on those roads.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #13

Lucky was right about the road from Anchorage to Tok via Glen Allen. We met a huge boat/small ship waiting for night fall I guess to finish the trip to Anchorage. It was wider than both sides of the road. I think it was some kind of fishing boat. We could not figure out the logic of taking the boat that way rather than by sea. There were times we had to stop when meeting a car so they could get by us with our 32' fifth wheel......It was scary on that road.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Great information! We traveled the Alaska Highway (no longer called the Alcan) in 1989 and again in 1992 towing a new 32' travel trailer up and back. Wouldn't do it again unless we had an old unit that we didn't care if it got damaged.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

I know two people who have driven motor homes to Alaska and both had to replace the windshield when home. I think that is a little adventuresome for this guy. Relatively sure all Alaskan travel will involve Royal Caribbean.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #16

Firearms in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Great trip report. We want to go up the Alcan Highway so bad, but I'm on the fence about going without a rifle or pistol. I'm not worried about the Canadian part of the trip, it's in Alaska that I'd like to be armed. I think when the time comes, we'll bite the bullet and go ahead anyway.
The last I checked you could carry a long gun (rifle or shotgun) into and through Canada, just no pistols.

If it were me and I were concerned about critters (the 2 legged and 4 legged kind) Id carry a short barreled shotgun (18" legal barrel of course) with buckshot and slugs. Both are good protection, buckshot for 2 legged and slugs for 4 legged animals.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #17

My advise to any one taking an rv to Alaska. If you are in a big hurry you may as well stay home. The majority of the roads are not high speed highways. Along the Alaska Highway in Canada if you can do 10-15 miles per hour you are flying. They have to do so many repairs there are a lot of stop and wait sections of the road for repairs being made. They do mark the road with flags, small flags for small heaves and large flags for large heaves. If you ignore them you will tear up your rv. Some think they can take a 2 week vacation and drive to Alaska and see every thing and return to the lower 48. It Is possible if you fly to Alaska and rent an rv then fly home......STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES and you will have a very beautiful and uneventful trip.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Day View Post
I know two people who have driven motor homes to Alaska and both had to replace the windshield when home. I think that is a little adventuresome for this guy. Relatively sure all Alaskan travel will involve Royal Caribbean.
I lived in AK for 10 years. the cruises are nice, very pretty scenery, but you Will NOT have seen Alaska from a boat!

It is not a place for the feint of heart. But for those hearty enough to face up to the challenges that being in the last wilderness in our country, it is an experience unmatched anywhere else I know of.

For me, I will ride the boat when I am too feeble to get around in my 5th wheel. At 66 Im nowhere near that yet though.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #19

Does everyone loose a windshield on that trip?
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Great information! We traveled the Alaska Highway (no longer called the Alcan) in 1989 and again in 1992 towing a new 32' travel trailer up and back. Wouldn't do it again unless we had an old unit that we didn't care if it got damaged.
I think it would be a great trip except for all the damage that occurs therefore it's a trip I will not make. Hate to think of repair expenses and can not afford to buy another unit. Sounds like no matter how careful you drive stuff is going to happen traveling there. I'll stick to lower 48. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote