Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Trip to Florida

We are leaving Southern New York State to Orlando Fl the end of February. Were should we stop on the way (we plan on three days or two stops). We need to de-winterize on the way and what route? We are leaving Corning, NY. First trip south!!!
mred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

I would open the low point drains and crack the faucets. If you use antifreeze it should shake out as you go down the road. Above you where we are staying. I would guess 81 would be the best route but I came back thru Ohio and PA on 86.

If you use water at stops just open the low point drain and crack the faucets and I don't think it will freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Always Learning

I would drive from Maryland and I lived very close to I-95, so I would just take that. Here are stops that I've made along the way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Places I have or would stay along I-95 are:
  • Pretty much any campground on the highway sign; they're usually close to the highway and often times have pull-thru sites available
  • Glen Allen, VA - Kosmos Village RV Park - crappy little place, but good for an overnight stop - Campground - Kosmo Village - RV Campground & Mobile Home Park
  • Roanoke Rapids, VA - RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads (has slight "overnighter" discount) - RV Resort @ Carolina Crossroads
  • Dillon, SC - Walmart - quiet/level lot + welcomed us as RVers
  • Rincon, GA - Whispering Pines - level pull thrus, maybe 5-10 miles off of the highway - Whispering Pines - Home
  • Jacksonville, FL - Pecan Park RV Resort - Jacksonville Florida RV Park | Pecan Park RV Resort
  • St. Augustine, FL - Flying J - didn't stay, but have stopped for fuel + food - they have a separate RV parking area that looked like a little campground one December night

As for route, lots of people are willing to drive a whole lot extra to avoid Baltimore and DC. It looks like you can take I-81 until you get south of DC and then take something over to it - say like I-64.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
Always Learning

And, unless I misunderstand, I respectfully disagree with arpipeliner- I wouldn't let anything drip as I drive down the road (knowing that the low point drains don't dump that much out). I'd just leave the camper winterized and use bottled water for drinking/tooth brushing for the first day or so until you far enough south that you don't need to worry about freezing any longer. Then, de-winterization at the first campground that you hookup water.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #5

Careful. I froze up in Dillon SC. In fact once in north Port FL
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #6

You should becareful that time of year you can also freeze up in Florida, I did two years ago in Pensacola Fl. All the roads even had a coat of ice on them, remember they do have salt trucks and things like that down in the Southern States. I would just stay on I-95 all the way down. Like Espendeydad says, go through Maryland and then cut over to I-95. If you get stuck in Virginia You can stay at my CG. I left the 30 amp power on PM me for details. Virginia is very hard to predict in Feb. But it will be cold, all State and COE CG's are closed. Keep an eye on the weather and just make the run in the right weather. 82 degrees here today, night time 74 degrees.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And, unless I misunderstand, I respectfully disagree with arpipeliner- I wouldn't let anything drip as I drive down the road (knowing that the low point drains don't dump that much out). I'd just leave the camper winterized and use bottled water for drinking/tooth brushing for the first day or so until you far enough south that you don't need to worry about freezing any longer. Then, de-winterization at the first campground that you hookup water.

Nothing to disagree about. I have never done it except last time I moved. I had winterized and wife was reading the list and said she had the cracked the all faucets open. In order not to explain that it was winterized and it didn't matter (was going to shower after the moved and winterize again over holidays). I open the low point drains and after the trip there was no really evidence of the antifreeze in any lines. A lot of air. Was just an observation and wondered if I saw something others already new.

Fully aware of the debates about winterizing. Personally don't want to deal with plumbing when can be avoided.

Have heard states say that you are not to let anything drip. Would be hard to see in the rain. If they keep the road dry from rain spray I will do everything possible to contain a little liquid.

That's it. Didn't mean any confusion. Do what makes you feel safe and happy to enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #8

Dumping water on a DRY roadway when it is freezing will Earn you a Well Deserved Ticket in Most States! Anti-freeze on a roadway is just like OIL,it really helps to Think about Others Behind You on the Roadway's! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Youroo, having lived in the south my whole life, I had never considered the point of your post. Makes perfect sense. Who would want to create roadway ice where there was none. Someone might pay a huge price for the indiscretions of another.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Coming from NEPA about 50 miles south of NY,we take 81, 66 and US 17 to Fredricksburg,VA for overnight in a motel. We then follow 95. Next night in South of the Border on the NC/SC line where we dewinterize. Next night on the GA/FL line. At that point you can continue on 95, US 301, 10 or 75.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #11

I like 81. 77. 26 95 best thing to do is watch weather some storms stay east and close 95 some come up out of Tennessee North Carolina so far this year it's not a issue
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote