Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Trip to michigan

We are planning a trip to mackinaw, Michigan next summer. I have read that sites fill up quickly. So we are looking for Rv parks in mackinaw and are wondering what is the best time of year to go. Also on are way up there any recommendations for sites in the buffalo area? Thanks
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
We are planning a trip to mackinaw, Michigan next summer. I have read that sites fill up quickly. So we are looking for Rv parks in mackinaw and are wondering what is the best time of year to go. Also on are way up there any recommendations for sites in the buffalo area? Thanks
The 4th of July and Labor Day are busy around the Big Mac and weekends can be also. Week days usually ok to drive up and find a place camp. The main season for camping is mid May to mid October. Have fun.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

Mackinaw Mill Creek campground is nice, in fact I'm there right now. Lol! Mackinaw City is #2 in tourism in the state behind Frankenmuth, so it does get busy. Labor day is the most crowded because of the bridge walk. Estimate 40,000 people in town to walk the bridge, plus regular holiday travelers. Reservations otherwise not mandatory, but highly advised during the summer, especially if you need something specific, like room for a 40ft trailer ir whatever. The are 4 campgrounds on the south side of the bridge. Mill Creek (recommend), Tee Pee campground (nice, but small and always seems busy), KOA (couple miles out of town, no experiences), and mackinaw city campground (be by there a few times. One small office shack, no sewer, playground, trees, nothing. Looks like a dump in my opinion). There's a state park across the bridge which is good (kind of rustic, short walk to restaurants, on the water, etc. reservations necessary), plus 3 others in not familiar with. There's more to do on the mack city side, so I recommend mill creek and make a day trip over the bridge to St. Ignace, and then the Soo.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

X2 on mill creek

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

Just booked mill creek

Thanks to all for your responses. We just booked are trip for next July. When I called they said they were talking reservation for 2017 and fill quickly. So we are all set. Looking forward to the trip - thanks
Steveanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

You should check out Wilderness State Park. It's on the Lake Michigan side on the lower peninsula. It's beautiful and you aren't camping on top of each other. 5 min drive to Mackinac City.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

I will second wilderness state park. Reservations can be made 6 months out. We go there every year and get a site right on Lake Michigan. Love just hanging out soaking up the view, watching the freighters, kayaking out your front door, and fantastic sunsets.
Dr Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanddianne View Post
What are you looking for in the way of the Buffalo area. Drop me a PM I may be able to guide you depending on what your interests are.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #9

Trip to michigan

When in the area also check out Headland's International Dark Sky Park (in between Wilderness & Mackinaw)
https://m.facebook.com/headlandsdarkskypark/

Pictures were from Wildness - tried to edit post after I saw you were all set, but pictures remained!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474605218.333328.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	121008   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474605276.108304.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	121009   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474605412.235524.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	121010  
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #10

Great area to travel to and site see. We, from Texas, have an RV lot in Cedarville UP. It is about 25 miles from the bridge. I am sure that you will enjoy the trip. We love the summer weather and it is great to get away from SE Texas at that time.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote